+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 46, May 7, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 46, May 7, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 46 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: COLOR.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: TYPOGRAPHY.
10: USABILITY.
11: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

How do You Test Success Criterion 1.3.5 on Mobile Applications?
By Chrissie Henning.
"Here at TPG we have been asking this question and been working hard
to fully understand this Success Criterion and provide a feasible
solution…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/05/how-do-you-test-success-criterion-1-3-5-on-mobile-applications/

Fix 85% of your Web Accessibility Issues in 5 Easy Steps
By Alvaro Montoro.
"…Correcting these five issue types would fix most of the
Accessibility problems detected…"
https://codepen.io/alvaromontoro/post/fix-85-of-your-web-accessibility-issues-in-5-easy-steps

Happy Birthday WCAG - Now You are Twenty!
By Lainey Feingold.
"On May 5, 1999 the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) issued a press
release announcing the publication of the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG) 1.0…"
https://www.lflegal.com/2019/05/wcag-birthday/

How Privilege Defines Performance :: #PerfMatters Conference 2019 (Video)
By Tatiana Mac.
"In theory, performance, accessibility, and inclusive design all have
similar goals: Provide the best, most consistent experience to all
people using the minimal amount of resources. In practice, this often
falls apart…we'll examine how to build conscientiously, looking within
to resist systematic problems in order to create more truly
performant, accessible, and inclusive systems for our users…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQq_gZiZ-jg

Levy County To Adapt Documents For Visually Impaired Individuals
By Rachel Spencer.
"…At an April meeting, the county decided to move forward with the bid
process for selecting an individual or firm to remediate county
documents to comply with ADA standards. Levy County procurement
coordinator Alicia Tretheway said she estimates the county will pay
more than $37,000 to ensure the county's 13,177 PDF documents meet ADA
standards…"
https://www.wuft.org/news/2019/04/26/levy-county-to-adapt-documents-for-visually-impaired-individuals/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Making Things Better: Redefining the Technical Possibilities of CSS
By Rachel Andrew.
Rachel's presentation material from Boston and An Event Apart.
https://noti.st/rachelandrew/aSEj0y/making-things-better-redefining-the-technical-possibilities-of-css

Digging Into The Display Property: Box Generation
By Rachel Andrew.
"Continuing a series on the display property in CSS, this time Rachel
Andrew takes a look at the values which control box generation, for
those times when you don't want to generate a box at all."
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/05/display-box-generation/

Create a Responsive Grid Layout with No Media Queries, Using CSS Grid
By Andy Bell.
"Embracing the flexible nature of the web gives us powerful, resilient
front-ends, where instead of using specific sizes, we give elements
sensible boundaries and let them auto-fill where possible…"
https://andy-bell.design/wrote/create-a-responsive-grid-layout-with-no-media-queries-using-css-grid/

+03: COLOR.

Use Color Accessibility Tools to Improve Your Website Design
By Carrie Cousins.
"Did you know that more than 4 percent of the population is color blind…"
https://designmodo.com/color-accessibility/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Science of Silence: Intentional Silence as a Moderation Technique
By Kate Kaplan.
"Keeping quiet is a powerful moderation technique for user interviews,
usability testing, and workshop facilitation. Well-timed, deliberate
periods of silence elicit thoughtful, accurate responses and insights,
and build trust with participants."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/intentional-silence-ux/

Where Big Data Can't Go: The Indispensability of Qualitative Research
in the Evolving Landscape of Measuring Behavior
By Martin Pacino.
"…There is no endeavor to understand and predict market conditions,
consumer behavior, employee engagement, advertising effectiveness and
any of the other building blocks of business success that will ever
fully realize its objectives without qualitative research…"
https://qrcaviews.org/2019/03/11/where-big-data-cant-go-the-indispensability-of-qualitative-research-in-the-evolving-landscape-of-measuring-behavior/

+05: EVENTS.

Mobile Assistive Technology and Testing Techniques
May 14, 2019.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/4415566340161/WN_EZHzHqTXTAKrtRdfuQVuDA

U / X / D: Intersections and Overlaps of Users, Experience, and Design
May 15-16, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://uxpamn.org/event-3365556

Overcoming the Potential Obstacles of Manual Testing with a Screen Reader
May 21, 2019.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/8015566338866/WN_kn8bdCE_TU6JCDkE3l8TuA

Winning at Scale - Accessibility in Design Systems & Ops
May 28, 2019.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Mne4olZ2ToKr716Zyi_MaA

Gray-Box Mobile Accessibility Testing
June 5, 2019.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IxFdaJQySYe4HSh2cBKmKg

WCAG 2.1 and Mobile Accessibility
June 25, 2019.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BCJPCGvQTMuSzv6P9C1Kyg

Webstock
June 26-28, 2019.
Wellington City, New Zealand
https://www.webstock.org.nz/19/

Open Source Software Conference (OSCON)
July 15-18, 2019.
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
https://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/oscon-or

+06: HTML.

Why, How, and When to Use Semantic HTML and ARIA
By Adam Silver.
"…Let's look over the benefits of using HTML and ARIA, why starting
with semantic HTML is the way to go, and why ARIA ought to come in as
a last resort…"
https://css-tricks.com/why-how-and-when-to-use-semantic-html-and-aria/

Uniquely Labeling Fields in a Table
By Adrian Roselli.
"…if you are creating tables correctly, there isn't much extra work
you need to do. Your column and row headers, paired with some ARIA,
can do the job for you. I made a demo to show it in action…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/05/uniquely-labeling-fields-in-a-table.html

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

How I Failed the <a>
By Remy Sharp.
"A real bug bear of mine is when JavaScript gets in the way of
browsing a page on the web. Simple, but common things like time to
interactive being delayed for no good reason, or, in this case, links
that don't work like links…"
https://remysharp.com/2019/04/04/how-i-failed-the-a

Frameworking
By Jeremy Keith.
"…If you're weighing up the pros and cons of using, say, a particular
JavaScript library or framework, that's wonderful. My worry is that
there are people working in front-end development who aren't putting
that level of thought into their technology choices, but are instead
using a particular framework because it's what they're used to."
https://adactio.com/journal/15111

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

AMP as Your Web Framework - The AMP Blog
By Jeremy Keith.
"The bait'n'switch is laid bare…"
https://adactio.com/links/15107

A Conspiracy To Kill IE6
By Chris Zacharias.
"The bittersweet consequence of YouTube's incredible growth is that so
many stories will be lost underneath all of the layers of new paint.
This is why I wanted to tell the story of how, ten years ago, a small
team of web developers conspired to kill IE6 from inside YouTube and
got away with it…"
http://blog.chriszacharias.com/a-conspiracy-to-kill-ie6

Do-It-Yourself Wearable Captioning with Google's Live Transcribe - Try
This at Home
By  David Berman.
"When Google worked with Dimitri Kanevsky to create their Live
Transcribe app, they surely envisioned that people with accessibility
needs would benefit. Even so, they probably didn't envision fast food
servers wearing tablets."
https://davidberman.com/diy-live-captioning-around-your-neck-yes-try-this-at-home/

+09: TYPOGRAPHY.

Type in the Digital Era is a Mess
By Marcin Wichary.
"…The history of web design can be seen as a set of tensions between
designers wanting things to be positioned with utmost precision, and
the web pushing back on some of that control…"
https://www.fastcompany.com/90340882/type-in-the-digital-era-is-a-mess

+10: USABILITY.

Touch Targets on Touchscreens
By Aurora Harley.
"Interactive elements must be at least 1cm × 1cm (0.4in × 0.4in) to
support adequate selection time and prevent fat-finger errors."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/touch-target-size/

Userfocus User Experience Consultants
By David Travis.
Consistency is at the heart of good product design. But consistency is
often misinterpreted as making things look or behave the same way.
This ignores context and can lead to a .foolish consistency". Instead
of consistency, designers should adhere to 'the Principle of Least
Surprise'…"
https://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/the-principle-of-least-surprise.html

The Elements of Content Strategy
By Erin Kissane.
"Content strategy is essential. But where did it come from? Why does
it matter? And what does it mean for you? This brief guide explores
content strategy's roots, and quickly and expertly demonstrates not
only how it's done, but how you can do it well…"
http://elements-of-content-strategy.abookapart.com/

A Design Language for Touch, Gesture, and Motion
By Steven Hoober.
"…To make sure a product gets built right, you need to write
everything down and draw it out. You need to create design
specifications…"
https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2019/05/a-design-language-for-touch-gesture-and-motion.php

How Today's UX Designs May Be Perceived in the Future (Video)
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Jakob Nielsen answers the question of how people in the future will
judge the quality of today's user experience."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/todays-ux-designs-perceived-future/

Recognition vs. Recall in User Interfaces  (Video)
By Maria Rosala.
"Design user interfaces to facilitate memory recognition which is
easier than recall because there are more cues available to facilitate
the retrieval of information from memory. ('Recognition rather than
recall' is #6 on the list of top 10 user interface heuristics."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/permission-requests/

+11: XML.

SVG Will Save Us :: #PerfMatters Conference 2019 (Video)
By Sarah Drasner.
"SVGs are one of the most underutilized technologies on the web. They
can be the most performant, flexible, and accessible image formats. In
this session, Sarah will cover a few practical things like styling SVG
icons like typography, and then dive into the creative wilds of this
graphic format built with math…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxte3WpyO60

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson