+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 43, April 16, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 43, April 16, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 43 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: DRUPAL.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: NAVIGATION.
10: TOOLS.
11: TYPOGRAPHY.
12: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

The Complete Guide to Captioned Videos
By Meryl K. Evans.
"Born profoundly deaf, I've depended on captions since getting my
first big clunky decoder in 1983…This guide will dive into why
captioning matters, how it provides a huge ROI, 10 rules for creating
great captions, and how to caption your videos…"
https://meryl.net/captioned-videos-complete-guide/

Is Your Web Site Really Accessible?
By Nicolò Carpignoli.
"Why accessibility matters and how you can check and eventually fix it
on your website…"
https://medium.com/chialab-open-source/is-your-web-site-really-accessible-7f045475640f

Power to the People, Freedom for Your Code
By Eric Eggert.
Eric's April 2019 presentation slides from Funka Accessibility Days in
Stockholm, Sweden.
https://talks.yatil.net/ysWYmI/power-to-the-people-freedom-for-your-code

Accessibility Events
By Mat Marquis.
"…I won't play a part in helping to propagate the mistake Apple's
developers made. I'll let my answer hang heavy and uncomfortable in
the air: no. Not because we can't-we can. Not because we shouldn't,
though, no, we still shouldn't. No-now, I will allow the word to
become as coarse as I had always wanted it to be, because I no longer
have the cold comfort of "well, technically" to hide behind."
https://css-tricks.com/accessibility-events/

About Accessibility Events (Hat tip to Leonie Watson)
By Apple.
"It's experimental. It's enabled by default in the OS, but not the
browser. It enables detection of events fired only when an AT is
running, but not the type of AT that is enabled."
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209655

Top 5 Questions Asked in Accessibility Trainings
By Carie Fisher.
"…Below are the top five questions that I hear most often and some
context/resources to learn a bit more about each…"
https://www.deque.com/blog/top-5-questions-asked-in-accessibility-trainings/

University of Louisville Being Investigated for Possible Disability
Discrimination
By Morgan Watkins.
"The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is
investigating the University of Louisville for possible
disability-related discrimination. University spokesman John Karman
confirmed that the Office for Civil Rights has launched a case, which
specifically concerns website and online course accessibility."
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/education/2019/04/09/university-louisville-investigated-disability-discrimination/3405547002/

2019 CSUNATC Digital Accessibility Legal Update
By Lainey Feingold.
"…This is a post about laws and cases about the rights of disabled
people to be part of the digital world. Every year Lainey Feingold
does a talk at the CSUN conference about what's new in the legal
world. This post described what Lainey talked about…"
https://www.lflegal.com/2019/04/after-csun19/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Are Nested Grids Like Nested Tables?
By Rachel Andrew.
"A thing I keep hearing, and especially when talking about subgrid is,
'nested grids … isn't that like tables within tables in the olden
days?' It is not. This is why…"
https://www.rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2019/04/12/are-nested-grids-like-nested-tables/

+03: COLOR.

Why Cancel Buttons Should Never Have a Color
By Anthony Tseng.
"A Cancel button is not a call to action because no changes to the
system occur after it's pressed. Therefore, you should never emphasize
it with color, otherwise you'll give users that impression. Instead,
they should get the impression that no changes occur and that the
button is their escape commitment…"
https://uxmovement.com/buttons/why-cancel-buttons-should-never-have-a-color/

How the Web Became Unreadable
By Kevin Marks.
"It's been getting harder for me to read things on my phone and my
laptop. I've caught myself squinting and holding the screen closer to
my face…"
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/how-the-web-became-unreadable/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Think Like an Accessible UX Researcher Part 3, Five Common Mistakes in
Usability Testing and How to Avoid Them
By David Sloan.
"This is the third in a series of posts reviewing the advice in Think
like a UX Researcher, by David Travis and Philip Hodgson, from the
perspective of involving people with disabilities in UX research (see
Part 1 and Part 2). In this post, we'll look at their advice on
usability testing and the ways that you can avoid making common
mistakes when running evaluations with people with disabilities…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/04/think-like-an-accessible-ux-researcher-part-3/

Procedure and Criteria for Running a Website Usability Tests
By Eric Smith.
"…we will discuss specifically how usability tests work for websites
individually…"
https://uxplanet.org/procedure-criteria-for-running-a-website-usability-tests-73d083d7a987

How to Run a Retrospective for a Design Team (Video)
By Rachel Krause.
"Retrospectives are a dedicated time to come together, reflect, and
collaboratively improve your design team's process. In this video,
we'll walk through the four components of a retrospective and how to
use this meeting effectively."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/retrospectives/

Auditing My Own Site For Accessibility
By Nic Chan.
"I launched the first version of this site well over 3 years ago, and
it was one of my first fully completed code projects…"
https://www.nicchan.me/blog/auditing-my-own-site-for-accessibility/

W3C Invites Implementations of Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT)
Rules Format 1.0
By W3C.
"The Accessibility Guidelines Working Group has published a Candidate
Recommendation of Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT) Rules Format
1.0…"
https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/7709

+05: EVENTS.

Evaluating Organizational Readiness for Accessibility
April 18, 2019.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/9615537904399/WN_qEOlZwuhSLGm7VwIZk2Bwg
Further details by Deborah Edwards-Onoro:
https://www.lireo.com/webinar-evaluating-organizational-accessibility/

Talking Design with Adrian Roselli
April 23, 2019.
Toronto, Canada
https://www.meetup.com/a11yTO/events/260433514/

Global Accessibility Awareness Day: Live Demos and Education
May 16, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/Accessibility-Twin-Cities/events/260382353/
Online at:
https://zoom.us/j/495261745

Twin Cities Drupal Camp
June 6-8, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://2019.tcdrupal.org/

Moving Mobile to 2.1
July 29, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/Accessibility-Twin-Cities/events/258337843/

An Event Apart Chicago
August 26-28, 2019.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/chicago-2019

TypeCon
August 28-September 1, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://www.typecon.com/

W3C Technical Plenary / Advisory Committee (TPAC)
September 16-20, 2019.
Fukuoka, Japan
https://www.w3.org/2019/09/TPAC/

Accessibility Toronto Conference
October 15-16, 2019.
Toronto, Canada
http://conf.a11yto.com/

+06: HTML.

HTML Includes That Work Today
By Scott Jehl.
"As long as I have been working on the web, I’ve desired a simple
HTML-driven means of including the contents of another file directly
into the page…"
https://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/html-includes/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Defining Productivity
By Jeremy Wagner.
"As developers, we use frameworks and third party tools to build
websites faster and more easily. Ask any developer why they use these
tools, and the answer is deterministic: productivity. Surely we want
to be more productive in our work, but it's worth asking ourselves an
important question: how are we defining productivity?"
https://jeremy.codes/blog/defining-productivity/

Web Components will Replace Your Frontend Framework
By Danny Moerkerke.
"The native web platform has caught up with frontend frameworks and
will slowly render them obsolete…"
https://www.dannymoerkerke.com/blog/web-components-will-replace-your-frontend-framework

Split
By Jeremy Keith.
"…the split that worries the most is this: The people who make the web
vs. the people who are excluded from making the web.
https://adactio.com/journal/15050

Javascript vs. CSS - More Control Means More Responsibility (video interview)
By Chris Heilmann.
"A few weeks ago I was in Paris, France to visit Prismic and they
interviewed me about the JavaScript vs. CSS debate. In 10 minutes we
covered a lot…"
https://christianheilmann.com/2019/04/11/javascript-vs-css-more-control-means-more-responsibility-video-interview/

Code Heart Design Conference Sydney (Video)
By Jed Watson.
"It's wild how much JavaScript has learned from CSS over the years.
Need to target a DOM element? CSS Selectors have you covered!
Declarative code? That was CSS long before it was React. So as we
boldly put our CSS in our JS and step into the component age, let's
take a look at some other lessons we can learn from the design
language of the web…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSq4kW3LK4

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Nothing Fails Like Success
By Jeffrey Zeldman.
"Money and tech have a complicated relationship. We trained our users
to expect things for free. Quickly we realized that wasn't a
sustainable business model, so we sold their data and served ads,
which invites its own problems. Now, we're trying to undo this tangled
web. How do we get back to a democratized web?"
https://alistapart.com/article/nothing-fails-like-success/

Everything You Know About Web Design Just Changed (Video)
By Jen Simmons.
"We're standing at the threshold of an entirely new era in digital
design-one in which, rather than hacking layouts together, we can
actually describe layouts directly. The benefits will touch everything
from prototyping to custom art direction to responsive design. In this
visionary talk, rooted in years of practical experience, Jen Simmons
will show you how to understand what's different, learn to think
through multiple stages of flexibility, and let go of pixel
constraints forever…"
https://vimeo.com/316326187

A Website is a Car and Not a Book
By Robin Rendle.
"…You have to understand that you're looking at an immensely
complicated system of moving parts…"
https://css-tricks.com/a-website-is-a-car-and-not-a-book/

Google AMP Lowered Our Page Speed, and There's No Choice But to Use It
By Walid Halabi.
"…AMP isn't about speed. It's about control…"
https://unlikekinds.com/article/google-amp-page-speed

+09: NAVIGATION.

Body Copy Link Styling - the Right Way
By Kevin R. Kirby.
"…Conclusion: Keep the underline in body copy text or stop putting
links inside of the body copy…."
https://spitfire.kevinrkirby.com/user-experience/body-copy-link-styling-the-right-way/

Mega Menu Using Bootstrap Dialog Boxes
By David MacDonald.
"…I offer this as an alternative for those using Bootstrap. It works
in Bootstrap 3.3.7 or 4.x"
http://davidmacd.com/blog/bootstrap-mega.html

+10: TOOLS.

Able Player 4.0
By Terrill Thompson.
"New features include support for playlists, Vimeo, self-voicing of
text-based audio description, & improved support for extended audio
description, among others."
https://github.com/ableplayer/ableplayer/releases/tag/v4.0

Reading Order Bookmarklet
By Adrian Roselli.
"When a keyboard-only user or screen reader user comes to page that
uses CSS to create a layout, there is a chance that what is on the
screen does not match the flow of the page…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/04/reading-order-bookmarklet.html

axe for Android
By Deque.
Accessibility analysis tool available for the Android platform.
https://www.deque.com/axe/axe-for-android/

Captcha Solving Chrome Extension
By Oliver Edholm.
"I just wanted to announce that I'm now releasing a Chrome Extension
for automatic captcha solving…"
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/60142

+11: TYPOGRAPHY.

Behind the Process of Helvetica's 21st century Facelift
By William Joel.
"The famous typeface has been re-drawn for the modern era…"
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/9/18302057/helvetica-now-new-monotype-typeface-charles-nix-design-optical-sizes-alternate-characters

+12: USABILITY.

Privacy UX: Better Cookie Consent Experiences
By Vitaly Friedman.
"This series of articles is about privacy-related design patterns.
We'll be exploring some of the respectful ways to approach privacy and
data collection, and how to deal with those notorious cookie consent
prompts, intrusive push notifications, glorious permission requests,
malicious third-party tracking and offboarding experience…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/04/privacy-ux-better-cookie-consent-experiences/

Interactions and Complexity
By Gerry McGovern.
"…The Web is not print. It's a much more complex, networked
environment. Those who are investing in complexity, while also
investing in simplifying interactions with such complex systems, are
reaping the bountiful rewards."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/interactions-and-complexity/

Modes in User Interfaces: When They Help and When They Hurt Users
By Page Laubheimer.
"In a modal interface, the same user action can have different results
depending on the state of the system. Poorly signaled modes can easily
trigger user errors with disastrous consequences."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/modes/

Visual Design Terms Cheat Sheet
By Therese Fessenden.
"A glossary of visual-design terms and easy definitions can create
common ground in mixed teams whose members come with a variety of
backgrounds."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/visual-design-cheat-sheet/

UX is Not Arts & Crafts: Why We Use Tangibles (Video)
By Katie Sherwin.
"Flip-charts, post-its, markers, stickers, and even fake coins are
common ingredients in a UX toolkit. Though they may appear to be
frivolous art supplies, these materials serve a crucial role in
supporting team engagement, creativity, and focus."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/ux-not-arts-crafts/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson