[webdev] Web Design Update: August 19, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 06:21:26 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: August 19, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 15, Issue 08, August 19, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 08 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML5.

06: MISCELLANEOUS.

07: TOOLS.

08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Better Keyboard Navigation with Progressive Enhancement

By Christian Heilmann.

"When building interfaces, it is important to also consider those who
can only use a keyboard to use your products..."

https://www.christianheilmann.com/2016/08/15/ better-keyboard-navigation-with-progressive-enhancement/

Revolution in Accessibility, the Automatic Alternate Text

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"Automatic alternate text, something I want to research since Facebook
has announced that their IOS app has the capability to provide
automatic alternate text for the photos uploaded on the website..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2016/08/ revolution-in-accessibility-the-automatic-alternate-text/

Section 508 Refresh - Changes in Electronic Documents

By Jonathan Avila.

"Electronic documents will be explicitly addressed in the Section 508
Refresh..."

http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/ section-508-refresh-changes-electronic-documents/

Section 508 Refresh - WCAG 2.0, Functional Performance and Tech Requirements

By Jonathan Avila.

"The Section 508 Refresh recognizes the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 as the success criteria applicable to websites,
electronic documents, and software..."

http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/ section-508-refresh-wcag-2-0-functional-performance-tech-requirements/

PDF vs HTML: A Fork in the Road

By David MacDonald.

Deciding whether to remediate PDFs or to migrate them to HTML is one
such fork in the road. That's why in this article I'll examine five
key considerations that will help you determine the best path to WCAG
2.0 AA conformance and, ultimately, web accessibility for all.

http://www.onixnet.com/insights/ pdf-vs-html-which-is-the-best-route-to-reach-wcag-2.0

Themes are Not Web Sites

By Joseph Dolson.

"Periodically, somebody asks me whether the themes reviewed for
accessibility at WordPress.org are compliant with the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines. The simple answer is no; but the real answer
is a little more complicated..."

https://www.joedolson.com/2016/08/themes-not-web-sites/

Don't Leave Me Out!

By Collaborative for Communication Access via Captioning.
"This is a film about the vital need for captioning in everyday life.
Real people made this video with true-life messages..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-epg4K7e50Q

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Using Feature Queries in CSS

By Jen Simmons.

"There's a tool in CSS that you might not have heard of yet. It's
powerful. It's been there for a while. And it'll likely become one of
your favorite new things about CSS..."

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2016/08/using-feature-queries-in-css/

Element Queries: the Future of Responsive Web Design

By Louie R.

"Media queries are a vital part of modern web design, but they're not
always perfect. In this article we'll take a look at the idea of
'element queries'; what many argue is the future of responsive web
design..."

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ element-queries-the-future-of-responsive-web-design--cms-26945

Using Ch, An Underappreciated CSS Length

By Justin McDowell.

"I've been experimenting with new units of measurement when I design
web pages and components..."

http://revoltpuppy.com/articles/89/ using-ch-an-underappreciated-css-length

WTF, Forms?

By Mark Otto.

"Friendlier HTML form controls with a little CSS magic..."

http://wtfforms.com/

How to Create a Simple Layout with CSS Grid Layouts

By Abbey Fitzgerald.

"If you've ever dabbled in print design, you know where the idea of
grid layouts originated from..."

https://getflywheel.com/layout/css-grid-layouts-how-to/

Writing Less Damn Code

By Heydon Pickering.

"I'm not the most talented coder in the world. No, it's true. So I try
to write as little code as possible. The less I write, the less there
is to break, justify, or maintain..."

http://www.heydonworks.com/article/on-writing-less-damn-code

Bootstrap Considered Harmful

By Hidde de Vries.

"...if your team has a front-end developer on board, I would argue you
may be better off without Bootstrap. In some instances, it can do more
harm than good..."

https://hiddedevries.nl/en/blog/2016-08-09-bootstrap-considered-harmful

Manipulate And Retrieve Data With Sass List Functions

By Steven Bradley.

"...Today I want to continue with the built-in list functions Sass provides..."

http://vanseodesign.com/css/sass-list-functions/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Run Accessibility Testing Demos

By Arthur Gouveia.

"This is the sixth post in a series on accessibility from Shopify's UX
team, published biweekly..."

https://medium.com/shopify-ux/ how-to-run-accessibility-testing-demos-602005e176d0

Extreme Accessibility, Revisited

By Karl Groves.

"...One of the things about bugs is that once you've verified the bug,
you actually have two important pieces of information: the details on
why it is a problem and what should happen instead. With this
information at hand, you can write a test..."

http://www.karlgroves.com/2016/08/15/extreme-accessibility-revisited/

Should You Use More Than One Accessibility Testing Tool?

By Karl Groves.

"If you're already aware of Betteridge's Law, then you know the answer
already..."

http://www.karlgroves.com/2016/08/13/ should-you-use-more-than-one-accessibility-testing-tool/

How to Create an Effective Customer Experience Survey

By Alina Prelicz-Zawadzka.

"We frequently focus our user research around ways to measure
improvements. But first, we need to identify a baseline..."

http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/ how-to-create-a-customer-experience-survey/

The Essentials of Contextual Inquiry

By Jeff Sauro.

"...The next time you see users encountering problems solving tasks,
look at it as an opportunity. A contextual inquiry might be the first
step into developing an innovative product that makes all our lives
easier-like a cooler with a blender and sound system all in one."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/contextual-inquiry.php

Hold the Phone: A Primer on Remote Mobile Usability Testing

By Dana Douglas and Tristan Wilson.

"...We took a closer look at several of the tools and methods
currently available for remote mobile testing and put them to the test
in a real world usability study. This article discusses our findings
and recommendations for practitioners conducting similar tests..."

http://uxpamagazine.org/hold-the-phone/

+04: EVENTS.

An Evening with Derek Featherstone
August 30, 2016.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
http://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/233107415/

SmashingConf
September 12-13, 2016.
Freiburg, Germany
http://smashingconf.com/

Accessibility Scotland
September 16, 2016.
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://accessibility.scot/

Confab Intensive
September 19-21, 2016.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
http://confabevents.com/events/intensive/2016

Accessibility Camp - NYC
September 26, 2015.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
http://a11ynyc.com/camp/

10K Apart Contest
"Do you have what it takes to build a fully-functional, progressively
enhanced, accessible, and performant site in under 10k?..."
Deadline: September 30, 2016.
https://a-k-apart.com/

Madison PHP Conference
September 30-October 1, 2016.
Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
http://2016.madisonphpconference.com/

+05: HTML5.

The <source> Element (Video)

By Simon Pieters.

elements..."

https://vimeo.com/175524666

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

I'm Sorry and Other Judgements

By Laura Legendary.

"...Sometimes, the words 'I'm sorry' are used as a way to pass a
subtle judgement about the quality of our lives..."

http://accessibleinsights.info/blog/2016/08/15/ im-sorry-and-other-judgements/

The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

By Tim Gihring.

"It was mid-March 1992, and Mark McCahill had never been to San Diego before..."

https://www.minnpost.com/business/2016/08/rise-and-fall-gopher-protocol

+07: TOOLS.

Subtitles for YouTube Chrome Extension

By Yash Agarval.

"Use this extension to add drag and drop subtitles to any youtube video..."

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/subtitles-for-youtube/
oanhbddbfkjaphdibnebkklpplclomal?hl=en

Captions for YouTube Chrome Extension

By Michael Dowse.

"A light plugin to display Closed Captions on YouTube videos that have
been transcribed using Amara..."

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/captions-for-youtube/
aajmdljjapndclgeaimfbfmaglafcedi?utm_source=chrome-app-
launcher-info-dialog

+08: USABILITY.

What You See is What You Use

By Julie Zhuo.

"...It is incredibly easy to underestimate the power of visibility and
of defaults...If you want something to be seen and used, don't make
people look for it. Put it where they're already looking."

https://medium.com/the-year-of-the-looking-glass/
what-you-see-is-what-you-use-5a97677a8c71

7 Tips for Successful Customization

By Amy Schade.

"Customization tools must be simple-to-use, easy-to-find, and easily
edited, with both a clear intent and a clear benefit to users."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/customization/

Minimize Design Risk by Focusing on Outcomes Not Features

By Hoa Loranger.

"Resist the urge to lead with implementation. Once you know what the
need is, you'll know what to build."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/outcomes-vs-features/

Designing a Flexible Organism for the Hotel Search Website

By Dejan Ulcej.

"A case study about redesigning the item element of the hotel search
result list on trivago's website..."

https://medium.com/@dejanulcej/designing-a-flexible-
organism-for-the-hotel-search-website-d262d64b6610

8 Best Practices for Designing a Helpful Contact Page

By Mathew Patterson.

"...A well designed contact page directs people to the answers they
need and helps them ask their questions more effectively,
significantly improving their experience on your site..."

https://www.helpscout.net/blog/contact-us-page-design/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson