[webdev] Web Design Update: August 11, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 06:21:28 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: August 11, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 15, Issue 07, August 11, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 07 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVENTS.

04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

05: MISCELLANEOUS.

06: NAVIGATION.

07: USABILITY.

07: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Start Building Accessible Web Applications (Videos)

By Marcy Sutton.

Subjects include "Accessible Icon Buttons", "Accessible Button
Events", "Building Forms with Accessibility in Mind", "Headings and
semantic structure for accessible web pages", and "Focus management
using CSS, HTML".

https://egghead.io/courses/start-building-accessible-web-applications-today

Webinar - Web Accessibility 101 (Video)

By Deque Systems.

"I know website accessibility is important, but where do I begin?..."

http://www.deque.com/blog/webinar-web-accessibility-101/

AXSchat with Lainey Feingold (Video)

By AXSChat.

"Lainey Feingold is a disability rights lawyer from Berkeley,
California who works with the blind community on technology and
information access issues..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_JIlWq2t0

You Shouldn't Worry About Section 508 - It's Section 504

By Chip Cullen.

"Section 504 states, in part, that: 'no qualified individual with a
disability in the United States shall be excluded from, denied the
benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or
activity that … receives Federal financial assistance...'."
http://chipcullen.com/you-shouldnt-worry-about-section-508-its-section-504/

Detecting Screen Readers in Analytics

By Heather Burns.

"...Identifying a screen reader user through analytics is, in most
cases, identifying a previously anonymous individual as a person with
a disability. That part of their identity, and whether they wish it to
be detectable online, is and always should be a matter of their
personal choice...Direct engagement with screen reader users forces us
to confront their needs as individuals, not as aggregated data points,
and we all will be better off for the experience..."
http://www.powermapper.com/blog/accessibility-analytics/

Some Thoughts on Accessibility

By Winston Hearn.

"Recently I worked with some coworkers to write documentation on
building accessibile web content (which we have since open-sourced as
the Accessibility Guidelines) and then, building on that work, I gave
a talk about accessibility as a practice rather than task or
checklist. This post is a written version of that talk..."

http://winstonhearn.com/thoughts-on-accessibility/

(Hat tip to Jennifer Sutton)

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Are You Writing Legacy CSS Code?

By Jim Newbery.

"I've created many terrible CSS code bases..."

http://tinnedfruit.com/2016/07/25/are-you-writing-legacy-css-code.html

How To Store Data In Sass Lists

By Steven Bradley.

"...Today I want to look at the list data type, which allows you to
create flat data structures and later access the data point you want
from within the structure..."

http://vanseodesign.com/css/sass-lists/

+03: EVENTS.

Fluxible
September 19-25, 2016.
Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
http://www.fluxible.ca/

National Association of Government Web Professionals Conference
September 21-23, 2016.
San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.
https://nagw.org/conference/2016

UCD Conference
October 14-15, 2016.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://2016.ucduk.org/

Open Source Convention (OSCON)
October 17-19, 2016.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/open-source-eu

Midwest UX Design
October 20-22, 2016.
Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A.
http://2016.midwestuxconference.com/

EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
October 25-28, 2016.
Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference

+04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Card Sorting The Fast Way

By Andrew Coyle.

"How to uncover hidden insights and informational structures before
lunch time..."

https://uxdesign.cc/card-sorting-the-fast-way-2c358a9af9ad

+05: MISCELLANEOUS.

25 Years Ago the World Changed Forever

By Amy van der Hiel.

"Two years ago we celebrated the invention of the Web on the
anniversary of the March 1989 memo written by Tim Berners-Lee
outlining his proposal for the World Wide Web. On Saturday we
celebrate not only the brilliance of the Web's conception but the
world-changing point at which the Web was offered as a publicly
available service..."

https://www.w3.org/blog/2016/08/25-years-ago-the-world-changed-forever/

On Customer Service & Video Accessibility

By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.

"...I know companies can't always move quickly to make changes to
improve accessibility. It's wonderful to celebrate when they do!"

https://www.lireo.com/on-customer-service-video-accessibility/

The 7 Questions For Any Technological Idea

By Scott Berkun.

"1. What is the problem that this new technology solves?..."

http://scottberkun.com/2016/the-7-questions-for-any-technological-idea/

+06: NAVIGATION.

Mobile DropDowns Revisited

By Klaus Schaefers.

"...Avoiding dropdowns improves execution times by 40%..."

https://medium.com/theuxblog/mobile-dropdowns-revisited-17358ceb5340

Does Improving Website Navigation Pay Off?

By Jeff Sauro.

"...Here are five points backed by research to emphasize the
importance of measuring and improving website findability..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/navigation-pays.php

+07: USABILITY.

How to Craft Effective Registration

By Nick Babich.

"Even though registration is so common thing, it's also one of the
trickiest parts to design..."

https://uxplanet.org/how-to-craft-effective-registration-f27caf633936

Designing Perfect Text Field: Clarity, Accessibility and User Effort

By Nick Babich.

"For any app or web application, nothing will ever happen without some
initial and ongoing input from the user. It is, therefore, critical
that product designers, developer and product managers understand the
best ways to allow them to do so..."

https://uxplanet.org/designing-perfect-text-field-clarity-accessibility-and-user-effort-d03c1e26004b

The Impact of Tone of Voice on Users

By Kate Meyer.

"A two-part experiment found that different tones of voice in website
content have measurable impacts on users' perceptions of a brand's
friendliness, trustworthiness, and desirability. Casual,
conversational, and enthusiastic tones performed best."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/tone-voice-users/

Visual Indicators to Differentiate Items in a List

By Aurora Bedford.

"Users are roughly 37% faster at finding items within a list when
visual indicators vary both in color and icon compared to text alone.
If choosing between using color or an icon, icons with strong
information scent perform better than color alone."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/visual-indicators-differentiators/

Creating User-Friendly Documentation

By Marie-Louise Flacke and Ferry G.A. Vermeulen.

"Simplified Technical English (STE) and minimalism are of great
importance in writing user-friendly documentation, particularly for
user content such as maintenance manuals..."

http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2016/08/creating-user-friendly-documentation.php

+08: XML.

Practical SVG

By Chris Coyier.

"'Sizing svg is more complicated than sizing an img,' writes Chris
Coyier in this excerpt from his new A Book Apart title Practical SVG.
But, he continues, it's complicated in a good way-it gives us more
control and opens up some interesting new possibilities. Read on."

http://alistapart.com/article/practical-svg

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson