[webdev] Web Design Update: July 19, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:14:37 -0500

From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>

Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: July 19, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 15, Issue 04, July 19, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 04 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML5.

06: JAVASCRIPT.

07: MISCELLANEOUS.

08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

09: TOOLS.

10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

How Long Does it Take to Test 25 Billion Web Pages

By Karl Groves.

"...Everything that this experiment showed me is that while we know
for a fact that there's only so much that automated testing can find
there's enough people making these common mistakes over and over.
Further: you don't need to run a tool to run a test against
25,000,000,000 pages to tell you this, all you have to do is listen to
users with disabilities. Maybe Sitemorse should've started there."

http://www.karlgroves.com/2016/07/13/ how-long-does-it-take-to-test-25-billion-web-pages/

A 'Global Top 10' Isn't Your Top Ten

By Karl Groves.

"... Use these Top Ten lists if you wish, but remember that such
information is too generalized to fully inform what should be handled
at a much more finite scale - specifically, the information from your
own site."

http://blog.tenon.io/a-global-top-10-isnt-your-top-ten/

Accessible Components: Keyboard Access (Video)

By Rob Dodson.

"Accessibility (or A11y) is an extremely important topic for component
authors because the components we build don't have any built in
semantics or keyboard support. That means It's up to us to add it back
in!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVxMvdBYMw

Accessible Image Sample Book

By Diagram Center.

"...We hope this sample book will offer some guidance on understanding
when and how to produce accessible images..."

http://diagramcenter.org/samplebook/

Easy Checks - A First Review of Web Accessibility

By W3C Web Accessibility Initiative's Education and Outreach Working Group.
"This page helps you assess the accessibility of a web page. With
these simple steps, you can get an idea whether or not accessibility
is addressed in even the most basic way."

https://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/preliminary

9 Highlights from Our Q and A with a Web Accessibility Auditor

By Patrick Loftus.

"...If you want to learn more about making the web accessible for
everyone at your organization, watch or flip through the slides from
our webinar entitled Are You at Risk? Identifying Web Accessibility
Gaps at Your Organization, presented by Mike Paciello, web
accessibility auditor and founding partner of The Paciello Group..."

http://www.3playmedia.com/2016/07/12/ 9-highlights-from-our-q-and-a-with-a-web-accessibility-auditor/

Making Images Accessible for People on Twitter

By Twitter.

"When you Tweet photos using the Twitter app for iOS or Android, or on
twitter.com, you have the option to compose a description of the
images so the content is accessible to people who are visually
impaired..."

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20174660

Behind Facebook's Efforts to Make its Site Accessible to All

By Nicole Lee.

"That means catering to those with disabilities as well..."
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/13/ behind-facebooks-efforts-to-make-its-site-accessible-to-all/

4 Reasons Why Accessibility Needs to be Part of Your Plan Right From the Start

By Michaela Slade.

"Web and digital accessibility should be a vital part of any business plan..."

http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/digitalaccessibilityservices/4-reasons-why-
accessibility-needs-to-be-part-of-your-plan-right-from-the-start/

Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympics Website Inaccessible for People

Living with Disabilities

By David Berman.

"...The website fails to comply with the lowest level of international
standards for accessible websites (W3C's WCAG 2.0 Level A)..."

https://www.davidberman.com/rio-2016-olympics-and-paralympics- website-inaccessible-for-people-living-with-disabilities/

Airline Web Accessibility: Post US DOT Deadline Round Up

By Ed Chandler.

"We are pleased to say we can conclude our round the world airline
accessibility review, having looked at the six airlines (one from each
continent) to see how they have approached the new US DOT Legislation
on web accessibility..."

http://uservision.co.uk/2016/07/ airline-web-accessibility-post-us-dot-deadline-round-up/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS Grid Updates, Changes and State of the Browsers

By Rachel Andrew.

"Last November I posted to this blog about the three years I had spent
experimenting with the Grid Layout specification It's now over 6
months since that post, so I thought I would do a quick update..."

https://www.rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2016/07/14/css-grid-updates-changes-and-state-of-the-browsers/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Conduct Icon Usability Testing (and Do Icons Even Improve Usability?)

By Shanelle Mullin.

"Symbolism is a tricky thing. Different symbols mean different things
to different people based on different backgrounds and past
experiences. That's why icons can easily flop, if they're not properly
tested..."

http://conversionxl.com/icon-usability-testing/

+04: EVENTS.

Thunder Plains Developer Conference
November 3-4, 2016.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.A.
http://thunderplainsconf.com/

World Usability Day
November 10, 2016.
Everywhere
http://www.worldusabilityday.org/

Full Frontal
November 10-11, 2016.
Brighton, England, United Kingdom.
https://2016.ffconf.org/

+05: HTML5.

Semantic HTML: The Unbearable Rightness of Being

By Dave Newton.

"Using valid, semantic HTML is one of the most impactful ways to make
your site more accessible..."

https://medium.com/shopify-ux/semantic-html- the-unbearable-rightness-of-being-9b3c493e1791

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

A11y Accordion Comparison

By Wayne Roddy.

"I want to compare a few examples of the Accordion Component..."

http://codepen.io/dubrod/post/a11y-accordion-comparison

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Conjoined Triangles of Senior-Level Development

By Brandon Hays.

"...Defining 'senior' is an ongoing and surprisingly difficult
process, but we do it because it's business-critical for us. Without a
clear definition of 'senior developer", we have no clear path for our
own employees to get there. "

http://frontside.io/blog/2016/07/07/ the-conjoined-triangles-of-senior-level-development.html

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

The Anatomy of a Coding Guideline

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"Coding guidelines produce consistency, help (code) usability,
collaboration, and maintainability, and lead to quality."

http://meiert.com/en/blog/20160718/the-anatomy-of-a-coding-guideline/

+09: TOOLS.

ChromeLens

By Ng Zhi An and Jingwen.

"ChromeLens is a set of developer tools that allow developers to code
websites better suited for the visually impaired..."

http://chromelens.xyz/

+10: USABILITY.

The Four Dimensions of Tone of Voice

By Kate Meyer.

"A website's tone of voice communicates how an organization feels
about its message. The tone of any piece of content can be analyzed
along 4 dimensions: humor, formality, respectfulness, and enthusiasm."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/tone-of-voice-dimensions/

The Impact of Interaction Design on Brand Perception

By Kate Meyer.

"Your interaction-design decisions have measurable effects on your
users' emotions and how they perceive your brand."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/interaction-branding/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson