[webdev] Web Design Update: May 26, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 06:07:30 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: May 26, 2016

10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

11: TOOLS.

12: USABILITY.

13: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

5 Ways You can Experience Digital Accessibility as a Web Developer/Professional

By Michaela Slade.

"...We have put together a few simple ways that you can experience
accessibility first hand and see what parts of your websites you need
to improve to become accessible..."

http://www.accessiq.org/news/features/2016/05/5-ways-you-can- experience-digital-accessibility-as-a-web-developerprofessional

Inclusive Design 24 (Videos)

By The Paciello Group (TPG).

This year's TPG playlist of 24 Global Accessibility Awareness Day
Webinars is available.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95LOQw9SLWxmcZtzBiFuT9HAJKFJnl2n

My Slides for Inclusive Design 24 for Global Accessibility Awareness Day

By Adrian Roselli.

"This morning I had the pleasure of presenting at the free online
Inclusive Design 24 hour webinar by The Paciello Group as part of
Global Accessibility Awareness Day. As promised, my slides are
embedded here for you, or you can go directly to SlideShare to see
them..."

http://adrianroselli.com/2016/05/my-slides-for-inclusive-design-
24-for-global-accessibility-awareness-day.html

Accessibility is My Favorite Part of the Platform (Video)

By Rob Dodson.

"My favorite part of my job is when I get to work on accessibility. I
see this as removing uncertainty and anxiety from people's day, and
helping them access the information they need. But working with
accessibility can be frustrating, especially when you feel like you're
fighting the platform instead of working with it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjgxH384Nc

The Cognitive Disability Digital Accessibility Guide

By Philip Jenkinson.

"...The guide is important for developers as it highlights both the
parts of WCAG 2.0 that are currently being implemented in Level AA,
and some of the lesser-known aspects of WCAG 2.0 found in Level
AAA..."

http://www.accessiq.org/news/features/2016/05/the-cognitive-
disability-digital-accessibility-guide-an-invaluable-resource

Optimizing for Accessibility + SEO: Site & Page Structure Overlaps

By Laura Lippay.

"39 million people are blind. 285 million are visually impaired. 15%
of the world's population - over a billion people - have some form of
disability..."

https://moz.com/blog/global-accessibility-awareness-day

Attention Public Accommodations: DOJ's Recent Rulemaking Action for

State and Local Government Websites Reveals its Current Thinking on
Web Accessibility

By Minh Vu and Kristina Launey.

"If you would rather not read the 30-page small print Federal Register
notice, this summary will provide you with what you need to know about
the Justice Department's most recent official pronouncement on web
accessibility...."

http://www.adatitleiii.com/2016/05/attention-public-accommodations- dojs-recent-rulemaking-action-for-state-and-local-government- websites-reveals-its-current-thinking-on-web-accessibility/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Understanding The CSS Property Value Syntax

By Russ Weakley.

"The World Wide Web Consortium uses a particular syntax to define the
possible values that can be used for all CSS properties..."

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/05/ understanding-the-css-property-value-syntax/

CSS Purge

By Roy Quilor.

"You may not know, but your CSS is getting out of control, it may even
have a mind of its own. The specificity war is happening right now and
you might not even know it..."

http://www.csspurge.com/

More Meaningful CSS

By Jonathan Snook.

"Tim Baxter wrote an article for A List Apart discussing the possibly
dogmatic, and maybe unnecessary, use of classes for styling HTML
elements..."

http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/more-meaningful-css

All or Nothing

By Jonathan Snook.

"...In conclusion, the problem with all is such that the
implementation is so inconsistent across browsers that it's useless.
There's no way to create a consistent baseline in which to build on,
thereby negating when I would ever want to use this property."

http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/all-or-nothing

+03: DRUPAL.

Add Accessibility Checker for CKEditor to Core

By Mike Gifford.

"CKSource just released their Accessibility Checker for GAAD. This is
a great time to look at bringing this accessibility checker in.
Ideally it would be enabled by default. This should help make content
editors make their content better..."

https://www.drupal.org/node/2731373

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Re-Assessing the Usability Metric for User Experience (UMUX) Scale

By Mehmet Ilker Berkman, Dilek Karahoca.

"Usability Metric for User Experience (UMUX) and its shorter form
variant UMUX-LITE are recent additions to standardized usability
questionnaires..."

http://www.uxpajournal.org/assessing-usability-metric-umux-scale/

Open-Ended vs. Closed-Ended Questions in User Research

By Susan Farrell.

"Open-ended questions prompt people to answer with sentences, lists,
and stories. Closed-ended questions limit possible answers. What to
use when?"

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/open-ended-questions/

Usability Testing: Too Early? Too Much Talking? Too Many Problems?

By Morten Hertzum.

"Usability testing has evolved in response to a search for tests that
are cheap, early, easy, and fast..."

http://www.uxpajournal.org/usability-testing-early-talking-problems/

Can You Take the Mean of Ordinal Data?

By Jeff Sauro.

"Yes, of course you can..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/mean-ordinal.php

+05: EVENTS.

Accessible Online Courses: Challenges and Solutions
June 1, 2016.
Online Webinar
http://mailman13.u.washington.edu/pipermail/ athen-list/2016-May/011348.html

+06: HTML5.

HTML5 Video and Multiple Track Display

By Ian Devlin.

"Normally when using using subtitles or captions with HTML5 video,
even if you provide different track files in different languages, you
will only want to display one set to the user at a time. However, it
is possible to display multiple track files at once, should you want
to. Here's how..."

https://www.iandevlin.com/blog/2016/05/ html5/html5-video-and-multiple-track-display

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Six Nifty ES6 Tricks

By Axel Rauschmayer.

"In this blog post, I show six tricks enabled by new ES6 features. At
the end of each section, I point to related material in my book
'Exploring ES6' (which is free to read online)..."

http://www.2ality.com/2016/05/six-nifty-es6-tricks.html

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Technology is Neither Magical nor Neutral

By Gerry McGovern.

"In most organizations, technology is neither properly understood nor
managed. It is bought and it is used. Management expect it to do
magical things like improve productivity without them having to be in
any way involved in managing it. In fact, technology is so magical
that it is expected to do the managing..."

http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/ technology-neither-magical-nor-neutral

+09: NAVIGATION.

The Importance of URLs

By Stuart Langridge.

"Lots of discussion about progressive web apps recently, with a
general consensus among forward-thinking web people that this is the
way we should be building things for the web from now on..."

http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2016/05/24/the-importance-of-urls/

On URLs in Progressive Web Apps

By Bruce Lawson.

"I'm writing this as a short commentary on Stuart Langridge's post The
Importance of URLs..."

http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2016/on-urls-in-progressive-web-apps/

+10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES AND PATTERNS.

Understanding Semantics

By Léonie Watson.

"The word 'semantic' is regularly used in the context of web
development. We talk about 'semantic code' and the 'semantics' of a
given element, but what do we really mean by it, and why is it
important?.."

http://tink.uk/understanding-semantics/

+11: TOOLS.

Mobile Friendly Test

By Google.

"Is your web page mobile-friendly? Enter a URL to find out..."

https://search.google.com/search-console/mobile-friendly

Visual Acuity Defects Simulator

By Patrick Kelley.

"This JavaScript bookmarklet simulates various vision impairments on a
web page in real-time, facilitating understanding and empathy for
users with vision disabilities."

https://github.com/UIPCOLLC/Visual-Acuity-Defects-Simulator

+12: USABILITY.

Rotating Website Carousels: 4 Alternatives That Drive Sales

By Dan MacDonald.

"...Here's the hard truth. Despite the popularity of rotating
carousels, they do not improve UX, they’re generally ineffective, and
many websites are deeply attached to them..."

https://studio.uxpin.com/blog/ rotating-carousels-4-alternatives-drive-sales/

+13: XML.

SVG Clipping Path Examples - Using Paths And Text

By Steven Bradley.

"Today and next week, I thought I'd walk you through a variety of
examples. I'll show you how to use paths and text to clip elements,
how to clip groups of elements at the same time, and how to create
clipping paths from multiple SVG elements. I'll close next week with
an example where I clip an image using a variety of SVG elements."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-clipping-path-examples-1/

SVG Clipping Path Examples - Multiple Shapes and Images

By Steven Bradley.

"Today I want to continue with more examples starting with one where
we'll use a variety of SVG elements to build up a more complex
clipping path..."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-clipping-path-examples-2/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson