Re: hi (Interactivity on the Web and Groups vs. Ways of Sharing Content and Making it Findable)

David P. Dillard

This post was shared on the JISC Disabilities-Education list to discuss some methods of making your content known and used in the social networking arena of discussion groups and blogs. Lesson number one is right in the heading which I changed from the friendly HI to a much more descriptive title that lets the reader know what I am talking about and read or not read based on their interest in this topic. I hope that some readers will find useful ideas in this post.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 07:47:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: David P. Dillard <jwne@...>
Cc: The Disability-Research Discussion List <DISABILITY-RESEARCH@...>
Subject: Re: hi (Interactivity on the Web and Groups vs. Ways of Sharing Content
and Making it Findable)

I am not so sure that interactivity is the primary goal in sharing information, ideas, thoughts, sources and resources on the internet. One cannot control the decisions to respond, or not respond to the posts and other forms of writing placed on the internet by you. One can better control finding your content by others who search Google with related terminology.

One method for making ones ideas and knowledge of resources pubic and therefore accessable to readers needing this information is to post to groups that are public and archived so that search engines will find and index ones shared content. This can include lists that you create and own or on topic lists with other ownership.

"DISABILITY-RESEARCH" AND (jisc OR jiscmail)

http://tinyurl.com/jexpaq5

http://tinyurl.com/zugx39n

Use specific labels in all posts that share a type of content in ones posts so that folks looking for that specific kind of information will find as much of that type of information if they use words found in your label in your shared messages. I label my use of the SITE: command in Google Web searches as "Google Domain Limited Web Search" and in parenthesis label the kind of search I am using. Since most posters in the world do not share links to search results and of those who do, very few do shared results of searches using the SITE: Google command and nobody is using that phrase but me, my content of that type results from a search of that phrase. Hence, Google indexes that phrase so that anyone picking up on that phrase and searching it will find a small library of posts that have that search command embedded in those posts with links to the searches and search results shared in those posts via those links.

http://tinyurl.com/jfg7llx

In Google search results always click at the bottom to get to the last page of results, often a low number and then click on the link at the bottom

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 11 already displayed. If you like, "you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."

In this case one now can see around 170 results instead of 11 and of course share the link to this version of the search instead of the link to the eleven results.

These are a few of the results found with this search

Social Work and Public Health Databases, Searching Skills and ... guides.temple.edu ... DISABILITIES: Disabilities and EmploymentTemple University by D Dillard - ?2014 - ?Related articles Law Cases, Court Actions and Court Documents Related to Social Work FROM Google Domain Limited Web Search. more... less... http://tinyurl.com/mggaaee.

Social Work Topics - DISABILITIES: Disabilities and Employment ... guides.temple.edu ... DISABILITIES: Disabilities and EmploymentTemple University by D Dillard - ?2014 - ?Related articles Law Cases, Court Actions and Court Documents Related to Social Work FROM Google Domain Limited Web Search. more... less... http://tinyurl.com/mggaaee.

Social Work Topics - DISABILITIES: Disabilities and Social Work ... guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=203721&p=1343890 Temple University by D Dillard - ?2015 - ?Related articles Law Cases, Court Actions and Court Documents Related to Social Work FROM Google Domain Limited Web Search. more... less... http://tinyurl.com/mggaaee.

Social Work and Public Health Databases, Searching Skills and ... guides.temple.edu ... POVERTY: Social Work and PovertyTemple University by D Dillard - ?2015 - ?Related articles Law Cases, Court Actions and Court Documents Related to Social Work FROM Google Domain Limited Web Search. more... less... http://tinyurl.com/mggaaee.

Also instruct your readers if you wish to use edit/find on the resulting pages and in this case search "domain limited" to see the examples of this type of search on the resulting page.

One can create libraries of content on various topics through their own websites on Google Sites and by posting to their own publically archived discussion groups, publically archived discussion groups in fields relevant to the posts and on Wordpress and other blogs that again are public so that their content is indexed by Google as Google indexing controls see fit.

It takes substantial effort to do this kind of work, but if one believes their ideas and content are worth sharing, one will make these efforts.

One can use resources like Yahoo Groups, Groups.IO, Nabble, Freelists, Wordpress, any Listserv with relevant public lists that are on topic for your content for these sharings. Creating your own list(s) will protect you from readers who complain that your sharings are unwelcome because they are off topic or guilty of some other crime against humanity as it is your list and they are your guests. Many if not all of the lists on JISC are public. I own the Sport-Med list on JISC and JISC is a marvelous list service. This list is a very active and a very good discussion group on this network of lists. Consider this link on the topic area of this list.

http://tinyurl.com/hhr7csn

Use the ways in which your information is tagged, use them in searches, for example, and people will find and learn from your shared content. One can even create unique but simple tags that claim your use of a resource, consider the phrase "Temple Summon search".

https://www.google.com/#q=%22temple+summon+search%22

Since for the most part I am the only person in the world describing the Temple University version of this Proquest Discovery database, the "Summon" search tool with this group of three words in that order, a search of them leads to mostly my content. These are some techniques that can be used to put content online and have it read by interested folk by the use of search results that exploit your labeling of your content.

I hope that this helps.

My discussion groups and research guides on Google Sites

Keep in mind that Google indexes content on Google including yours on the Google Sites websites you create and it does not take long for this to happen.

http://tinyurl.com/gwh7vp3

By the way, I spoke recently with a retired professor who now has a small job at another college. He was told by them that they could give him more work if he had a much larger active academically oriented social networking profile or track record.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group