[webdev] Web Design Update: December 17, 2015

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 06:19:51 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: December 17, 2015

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 25, December 17, 2015.

design and development.

++ISSUE 25 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: BOOKS.

03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

04: COLOR.

05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

06: EVENTS.

07: HTML5.

08: JAVASCRIPT.

09: MISCELLANEOUS.

10: NAVIGATION.

11: TOOLS.

12: USABILITY.

13: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

The Web Accessibility Basics

By Maro Zehe.

"...here it is, my list of absolute web accessibility basics every web
developer should know about..."

https://www.marcozehe.de/2015/12/14/the-web-accessibility-basics/

How to Create More Accessible Content, Part 1 - Copywriting

By Megan Zlock.

"When creating a website, I put a lot of effort into making every
feature and every piece of content on the site as accessible as I
can..."

https://viget.com/advance/how-to-create-more-accessible-content-part-1

reCAPTCHA Accessibility reVISTED

By Terrill Thompson.

"...The experience described above isn't terrible. Google has improved
the markup significantly over the last year and it is possible for
most users, including screen reader users, to successfully complete
the CAPTCHA. However, there are still problems..."

http://terrillthompson.com/blog/682

There's One Setting You Need to Change on Your YouTube Channel Right Now!

By Michael Lockrey.

"YouTube and Google have recently rolled out fan-based captioning (and
subtitling) support to all channels..."

https://medium.com/@mlockrey/there-s-one-setting-you-need-to-change- on-your-youtube-channel-right-now-325170cdfac4#.x0oi05lcu

Accessibility Advocacy and Pragmatism

By Pratik Patel.

"...We find ourselves living in an age where issues upstage solutions,
idealism upstages pragmatism, and volubility upstages quiet,
unexaggerated practicality. It is our responsibility to advocate
without succumbing to notions of a single solution to a problem."

https://medium.com/@ppatel/ accessibility-advocacy-and-pragmatism-f848602155ae#.497xagh75

How to Make Videos Accessible to the Blind by Adding Described Audio (Video)

By ddblue0.

"This is a brief tutorial explaining how to make your videos and video
podcasts accessible to the blind by adding an audio description
track."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1siUNBsR_Gg&feature=youtu.be

Digital Accessibility Legal Update, December 2015

By Lainey Feingold.

"...This update includes Department of Justice activity, the
settlement of cases against Scribd and the General Services
Administration, Structured Negotiation with Humana, an important new
voting rights case, and other developments...."

http://lflegal.com/2015/12/legal-update-december15/

Advocates for Disabled Sue Husted Over Voting, Website Problems

By Alan Johnson.

"An agency advocating for the disabled has sued Secretary of State Jon
Husted for allegedly denying voters who are blind equal access to
absentee voting and his state website..."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/12/07/ advocates-for-disabled-sue-husted.html

Complaint (PDF)

http://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/sites/default/files/ sites/default/files/u62/Hindel_v_Husted_complaint_12-7-15.pdf

The U.S. DOJ Made A Poor Decision To Delay Web Accessibility Guidelines

By David Bolton.

"...To put it simply, walking a fine line between what they can do and
what they should do. Internet accessibility guidelines already exist
and the majority of technology leaders are making sure that their
products are accessible to all, but the ongoing issue of mobile and
Web accessibility is still a grey area in the U.S. And until the rules
and regulations are set out in black and white, digital accessibility
will remain exactly what the government wants it to be ...a topic of
debate."

http://arc.applause.com/2015/12/04/ united-states-doj-web-accessibility-guidelines/

Lighten Up, Accessible Web

By Anna Belle Leiserson.

"I have a confession. There's an elephant in my room. The problem is I
don't want to be unkind; so day after day, month after month, I tiptoe
around it, speaking of it only behind closed doors..."

http://www.happywebdiva.com/2015/12/08/lighten-up-accessible-web/

+02: BOOKS.

Meiert, Jens Oliver. The Little Book of HTML/CSS Coding Guidelines

O'Reilly, 2015.

http://www.oreilly.com/web-platform/free/ little-book-html-css-coding-guidelines.csp

+03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Grid, Flexbox, Box Alignment - Our New System for Layout

By Rachel Andrew.

"...in 2016 we should be seeing it in a new improved form ready for
our use in browsers."

https://24ways.org/2015/grid-flexbox- box-alignment-our-new-system-for-layout/

Styling Select Elements with Padding

By James Aylett.

"...Here's some CSS to style various form controls..."

http://tartarus.org/james/diary/2015/12/13/styling-select-elements-with-padding

+04: COLOR.

Designing with Contrast

By Mark Mitchell.

"When an appetite for aesthetics over usability becomes the bellwether
of user interface design, it's time to reconsider who we're designing
for..."

https://24ways.org/2015/designing-with-contrast/

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Complete Guide to Scenarios - Part One

By Niel Turner.

"...In this 2 part guide to scenarios you'll learn what scenarios are,
why you should be using them, what forms they can take and how you too
can use scenarios to design for the real world..."

http://www.uxforthemasses.com/scenarios-part-one/

How Reliable Are Self-Reported Task Completion Rates?

By Jeff Sauro.

"...As expected, self-reported task-completion rates are much higher
than verified task-completion rates. This analysis found..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/self-reported-rates.php

+06: EVENTS.

Information Accessibility Design and Policy (IADP)
Begins January 16, 2016.
Online.
http://online.ahs.illinois.edu/iadp/

13th International Web for All Conference
April 11-13, 2016.
Montreal, Canada
http://www.w4a.info/2016/

Accessibility Summit
April 15-16, 2016.
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
http://accessibilitysummit.org/

Generate
April 22, 2016.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
http://www.generateconf.com/new-york-2016

Future of Web Design
April 25-27, 2016.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://futureofwebdesign.com/london-2016

+07: HTML5.

HTML Developers - Please Consider

By Steve Faulkner.

"...ARIA allows developers to re-invent and extend native HTML
features in meaningful ways. But like all bolt-on technologies its
features are brittle compared to its built-in counterparts..."

http://html5doctor.com/html-developers-please-consider/

Native Form Elements

By Joshua Jenkins.

"This is what every HTML5 form element looks like on your current
operating system and browser."

http://nativeformelements.com/

The Header Element

By Richard Clark (Updated by Steve Faulkner, December 2015).

"...one of these the <header> element is what we'll be covering in
this post. We'll talk about when to use it, when not to use it, its
must haves and must not haves..."

http://html5doctor.com/the-header-element/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

Interaction Is an Enhancement

By Aaron Gustafson.

"...The fundamental problem with viewing JavaScript as a given-which
these frameworks do-is that it creates the illusion of control..."

http://alistapart.com/article/interaction-is-an-enhancement

A Pause to Refresh the Web?

By Simon St. Laurent.

"...It's not the end of the Web, by any means. The Web is not
JavaScript and JavaScript is not the Web. Web developers have even had
approaches for dealing with this situation - progressive enhancement -
for more than a decade..."

https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/a-pause-to-refresh-the-web

Making Accessibility Simpler, With Ally.js

By Rodney Rehm.

"...You can care about accessibility issues without being affected by
a disability yourself. In many ways, making your apps and sites
accessible benefits everyone. ally.js helps you accomplish that..."

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/12/making-accessibility-simpler/

Simplified JavaScript Jargon

By Hugo Giraudel et al.

"Simplified JavaScript Jargon (short SJSJ) is a community-driven
attempt at explaining the loads of buzzwords making the current
JavaScript ecosystem in a few simple words. The idea is not to replace
individual documentations, but to act as some kind of glossary that
can be easily referrenced..."

https://github.com/HugoGiraudel/SJSJ

How to Schedule Background Tasks in JavaScript

By Craig Buckler.

"If you remember nothing else about JavaScript, never forget this: it
blocks..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/how-to-schedule-background-tasks-in-javascript/

+09: MISCELLANEOUS.

A Brief(ish) History of the Web Universe - Part I The Pre-Web

By Brian Kardell.

"...No themes, no punch, just history that I hope I can use to help
explain where my own perspectives on a whole bunch of things draw
from..."

https://briankardell.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/ a-briefish-history-of-the-web-universe-part-i-the-pre-web/

A Brief(ish) History of the Web Universe - Part II Time

By Brian Kardell.

"...Tim Berners-Lee was working at CERN which was, by most measures,
pretty large..."

https://briankardell.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/ a-briefish-history-of-the-web-universe-part-ii-time/

History of the Web

By Bob Hopgood, 2001.

"Understanding how an activity started and developed frequently gives
a much greater insight into why things are as they are..."

http://www.w3.org/2012/08/history-of-the-web/origins.htm

How Many Writers Do We Need for Our Website Project?

By Lagom Strategy.

"This handy calculator will stop you from underestimating your content
challenge and delaying your project..."

http://www.lagomstrategy.net/content-production-calculator/

Why You Shouldn't Bother Creating a Mobile App

By Jean-Baptiste Coge.

"Lessons learned spending one year creating and improving our mobile app..."

https://medium.com/inside-birdly/ why-you-shouldn-t-bother-creating-a-mobile-app-328af62fe0e5

+10: NAVIGATION.

'Learn More' Links - You Can Do Better

By Katie Sherwin.

The phrase 'Learn More' is increasingly used as a crutch for link
labels. But the text has poor information scent and is bad for
accessibility. With a little effort, transform this filler copy into
descriptive labels that help users confidently predict what the next
page will be.

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/learn-more-links/

Plain Language: Use Descriptive and Meaningful Text in Your Links

By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.

"Have you ever visited a website, selected a link, only to discover
the page you were taken to wasn't what you expected?..."

https://www.lireo.com/use-descriptive-meaningful-text-links/

Mobile Navigation Design Fundamentals

By Craig Dehner.

"There are many different ways to structure navigation when building a
mobile app. Each structure has its advantages and disadvantages..."

http://thekineticui.com/mobile-navigation-design-fundamentals/

+11: TOOLS.

Colour Contrast Determinator

By Vision Australia.

"We've developed a new online tool to help you find colour
combinations that have sufficient contrast..."

http://www.visionaustralia.org/digital-access-determinator

+12: USABILITY.

Cognitive Psychology for UX - The Principle of Least Effort

By Spencer Lanoue.

"...Even though we have intricate minds, we don't want to think too
hard-or too much-if we don't have to..."

https://www.usertesting.com/blog/2015/12/09/principle-of-least-effort/

How to Create Successful Mobile Experiences

By Alex Asianov.

"Designing a mobile app requires empathy. The features you invent must
be business solutions that have a cost and a benefit to your business
and to the user..."

https://uxmag.com/articles/how-to-create-successful-mobile-experiences

+13: XML.

Does SVG Text Pass WCAG 1.4.5 (Images of Text)?

By Leonie Watson.

"A recent question prompted me to ask whether the SVG <text> element
would pass WCAG 2.0 1.4.5 (images of text)..."

https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2015/12/ does-svg-text-pass-wcag-1-4-5-images-of-text/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson