Topics

FYI: NEXT WEEK at Bruce Castle Museum - two special events

Joseph Nicholas

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: NEXT WEEK at Bruce Castle Museum - two special events
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 12:39:37 +0000
From: Hedgecock Deborah <Deborah.Hedgecock@...>
To: Museum Services <Museum.Services@...>

Munch and Listen lunchtime talk:

This is My Story - Celebrating 60 years in the UK

·        Monday 28 October, 12.15pm

Join Tottenham resident Ruth Hutchinson as she tells her own life story, in conversation with Deborah Hedgecock (curator, Bruce Castle Museum). Ruth arrived in the UK from Jamaica in 1959 to be a nurse. Starting her training on 9 November 1959, it was to last for four years. The expectation of her family was for Ruth to then return to the Caribbean – but things turned out differently and she stayed here.

Come and hear Ruth’s story over the past 60 years and celebrate with her – from nurse to nursery manager, her activism and campaigning and now her active retirement working with and enjoying her art, music and poetry.

A small exhibition of Ruth’s art will also be on display

Doors open 12 noon. Refreshments available

Kindly supported by the Friends of Bruce Castle

A Special Event - Celebrate the end of Black History Month in Haringey at Bruce Castle

Talking About Textiles: Celebrating the Crafting Genius of Althea McNish

A panel discussion led by Rose Sinclair, Goldsmiths College

Thursday 31 October

    • From 6pm - A Musical Celebration and Welcome – a chance to see the current exhibitions at Bruce Castle for Black History Month, with wonderful music from Haringey Young Musicians and Peter Desmond, and refreshments
    • At 6.45 – 7.05pm – Welcome and Speeches
    • At 7.30pm - Talking About Textiles: Celebrating the Crafting Genius of Althea McNish

Marking the end of Black History Month in Haringey, come along to this special evening at Bruce Castle where we can celebrate the young and emerging talents of Haringey Young Musicians and honour our very own internationally-renowned Windrush generation legend from Tottenham - Althea McNish.

Althea
            McNish - group of textiles at Bruce Castle MuseumAlthea McNish (external link) is a living icon in the world of textiles. Since she started designing over sixty years ago, her designs have graced a myriad of spaces.

Althea made Tottenham her home. She is regarded as part of the Windrush Generation, and as such her contribution to the design culture and couture of British textile design, and beyond in the wider arts is being constantly being reassessed and brought to the fore.

Talking about Textiles: Celebrating The Crafting Genius of Althea McNish is a panel discussion and presentation led by Rose Sinclair of Goldsmiths College (external link), with up-and-coming fashion designer Marquel Williams, from Tottenham. It celebrates not only the work of Althea McNish located at Bruce Castle Museum, but also those inspired by her work. In this presentation and discussion, we seek to look at the place of textiles through the black British design and female lens, and ask questions of the design icon Althea McNish. We also seek to ask what is it to craft and design as a black woman and what are the legacies of Althea’s work in the 21st century?

All welcome.

Hope to see you at Bruce Castle

Best wishes

Deborah Hedgecock

Curator

Haringey Council

Haringey Archive and Museum Service, Bruce Castle Museum, Lordship Lane, London N17 8NU

T. 020 8808 8772

E. deborah.hedgecock@...

www.haringey.gov.uk

twitter@haringeycouncil