Topics

FYI: Coming up in September and early October at Bruce Castle Museum

Joseph Nicholas

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Coming up in September and beginning of October at Bruce Castle Museum
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:16:59 +0000
From: Museum Services <Museum.Services@...>
To: Museum Services <Museum.Services@...>

Some dates for your diary, coming up in September and early October:

SPECIAL EVENT

Open House London

·        Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 September, 1 - 5pm

image.png

  • Free guided tours from 1.15pm, every half-hour. Last tour 4pm

Find out more about the history of this magnificent Grade 1 listed building and see inside the mysterious Tudor Round Tower.

The Old Kitchen Café will be open, with cake and tea.

On Sunday, the Family Activities gives a chance for children to dress up in historical costumes as a Lord or Lady or a servant at the Manor.

Art in the Tower

  • Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 September, 1-5pm

Art group Art2View are back at the Tudor Round Tower at Bruce Castle for Open House London Weekend with more inspired art on show and for sale. We are most grateful to Art2view as all their sale proceeds help support the Museum's Family Activities’ Programme.

SIP 'N SKETCH: BEGINNERS' DRAWING ART WORKSHOP

·       Saturday 21 September, 1 - 4pm

This beginners’ drawing workshop is for anyone who wants to explore their creative potential in a friendly, calm environment. Working with Susan Bryan, a highly experienced art tutor, you will receive individual attention, support and feedback. Absolute beginners very welcome.

Be inspired and explore the galleries of Bruce Castle, looking at textures and shapes of unique collections on display. A chance to get up close, handle selected Victorian artefacts and arrange them for your own still-life composition.

The three hour drawing class will be a chance to:

·        Share techniques - including line, tone and space

·        Find new ways of seeing and share ideas with other beginners

COST: introductory offer price £10. Includes refreshments and attendee certificate. All materials supplied.

To book a place, please email the art tutor Susan: sipnsketchroom@...

Reminiscence Café at the Castle

Join us for our monthly reminiscence sessions - just come along, enjoy a cup of tea and share your memories.

The Land Beneath Our Feet

  • Tuesday 24 September, 2-4pm

Bruce Castle has an amazing map in its archive collection - a wonderfully evocative illustration of Tottenham and Wood Green in the early 17th century.

With its fields and woods and scattered houses, it seems a long way from today’s urban landscape, but we can see how it shaped where we are now. Our main roads can be found on the map, although sometimes with different names, and we can also find some of our side roads, and identify others from the field boundaries.

There are still remnants of common land, such as Tottenham Green, Ducketts Common, and the Marshes, although most of the former fields have been built on with large estates of terraced houses.

Come and trace our streets, homes and public places looking at the old map and others from following centuries, and help tell the story of the growth of Tottenham and Wood Green and our part in it.

Munch and Listen – our monthly lunchtime talks programme

The Ray Swain Memorial Lecture

Turner and the Pre-Raphaelites in Tottenham: The collection of Benjamin Godfrey Windus

By Margaret Burr

·        Monday 30 September, 12.15pm

BG Windus was an important patron of British art and owned over 200 Turner watercolours as well as Pre-Raphaelite paintings including Ophelia (Tate Britain), The Scapegoat (Lady Lever, Liverpool) and The Last of England (Birmingham). He opened his art collection to the public in his house at Tottenham Green from 1840 onwards. The Victorian art critic John Ruskin acknowledged that access to these paintings enabled him to write 'Modern Painters'. This talk is a shorter version of the one given at the National Gallery earlier this year.

Evening Talks programme

·        Please note the monthly evening talk programme will be on Wednesday 2 October, and will be a film screening starting at an earlier time:

Film Screening: The Nine Muses

By Smoking Dogs Films

Running time: 92 mins

·        Wednesday 2 October, 7pm

Doors open 6.30pm

Directed by John Akomfrah and produced by Lina Gopaul and David Lawson, ‘The Nine Muses’ traces the history and imagery of black and Asian immigration to Britain after World War Two, during the 1950s and 1960s. Inspired by the narrative of Homer's Odyssey, it is based around the names of the nine Muses in Greek myth. They were the daughters of Mnemosyne, goddess of memory. The Smoking Dogs Film combines archive materials, with literary and musical quotations, to create a film on memory, migration and exile.

https://www.smokingdogsfilms.com/projects/cinema/the-nine-muses/

EXHIBITIONS

And a reminder to see all of our exhibitions, including which closes on 6 October.

A Small Plot of Land

  • Until 6 October 2019

A small
              plot of land by Danilo Murru

An exhibition of photographic portraits taken in Creighton Road Allotments during 2018-2019, by Danilo Murru (external link), a Tottenham-based photographer and allotment holder.

Tottenham is known to be one of the most diverse areas of the Capital. The allotments reflect this aspect of our society beautifully. Often it can feel surreal to be in the middle of such a dense urban environment, whilst picking tomatoes and digging up potatoes. It is even more surreal and precious with the £1 billion brand new Spurs stadium next-door. The allotments are a great example of sustainability. Here, nothing goes to waste. Everything is reused again and again - to build a shed, a greenhouse, or just to embellish a plot. The simple aim of this photographic project is to celebrate diversity, integration and the coming together of people from different walks of life.

Together at the allotment they perform the simple human act of growing their own fruit and veg.

Location: East Wing Gallery

Enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend

Best wishes

Deborah Hedgecock

Curator

Haringey Council

Haringey Archive and Museum Service, Bruce Castle Museum, Lordship Lane, London N17 8NU

T. 020 8808 8772

E. deborah.hedgecock@...

www.haringey.gov.uk

twitter@haringeycouncil

facebook.com/haringeycouncil

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege and are intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) to whom this email is addressed. Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system administrator at Haringey Council immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect which might affect any computer or system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage from receipt or use thereof. All communications sent to or from external third party organisations may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.