Topics

FYI: Book now for the Tottenham Literature Festival Talks

Joseph Nicholas

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Book now for the Tottenham Literature Festival Talks
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 11:31:53 +0100
From: Bernie Grant Arts Centre <berniegrantartscentre@...>
To: tcs@...

JOIN US FOR THE TOTTENHAM LITERATURE FESTIVAL TALKS

Hi Tottenham Civic Society,

The first ever Tottenham Literature Festival, 1 - 9 November at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre is a week away.

We have two full days of literature talks taking place on the BGAC stage with an exciting roster of authors, poets, writers and artists. Find out more about the talks below.

Book now to secure your place in the audience for talks on 2 and 9 November.

As part of the festival we also have poet Keisha Thompson performing Man on the Moon on 7 November. With the use of poetry, looped sounds and story-telling the piece explores her relationship with her reclusive father.

We look forward to seeing you there!

BGAC Team 🗣️📚

#TLF2019

TOTTENHAM LITERATURE FESTIVAL TALKS

2 November

Bold Black Women

13:00 – 14.15

‘Being a Black women writer is not a shallow place but a rich place to write from. It doesn’t limit my imagination, it expands it,’ wrote Toni Morrison. Hear from our panel of Bold Black Women writers on the joys and challenges of writing about race, gender and class. Our confirmed panel for Bold Black Women will include acclaimed author of Queenie, Candice Carty-Williams, poet Zena Edwards, actor and writer Emma Dennis-Edwards, author Desiree Reynolds, alongside panel chair, the journalist and arts & culture programmer behind the STANCE podcast, Chrystal Genesis.

Words, Rhyme & Power

14:45 – 16:00

Black writers, poets and performers have been transforming the English language for hundreds of years. Join our conversation on the role of words and rhyme in taking up space. Featuring: spoken word artist artist Koko Brown, producer and theatre director Malakaï Sargeant and chair LiFT Festival Executive Director Stella Kanu.

Feelin’ Good: Joy, Pleasure & Writing

16:30 – 17:45

Come and find out why writing about joy, love and pleasure can be an act of activism. Our confirmed panel for Feelin’ Good: Joy, Pleasure & Writing includes writers: Sulaiman Addonia, Okechukwu Nzelu, Nana Oforiatta-Ayim, Matilda Ibini and Ama Josephine Budge.

BOOK NOW

TOTTENHAM LITERATURE FESTIVAL TALKS

9 November

Poetry of the Mandem

13:00 – 14:15

Who speaks for the culture? Who represents the mandem? Join poets who are pushing boundaries to reclaim narratives best representing the diverse, lively and nuanced experiences of black boys and men in London today. Featuring poets Caleb Femi, Yomi Sode, Kieron Rennie and chair Debo Amon, a literature programmer at the Southbank Centre.

Re-imagining Spaces

14:45 – 16:00

From Tottenham to Brixton, London is changing. Come and hear how black writers, musicians and artists are responding to these changing landscapes. Speakers include the RESOLVE collective’s Akil Scafe-Smith, founder of (In)Space Kwame Lowe, rap artist and entrepreneur Mary Otuhanama, artist Imwen Eke and chair feminist activist, writer, poet Jessica Horn.

Fros, Rows & Prose

16:30 – 17:45

From Afros to Cornrows, what are we really talking about when we write about black women’s hair? Journey through inherited black hairstyling techniques from pre-colonial Africa to contemporary bald black women’s choices. Featuring author and broadcaster Emma Dabiri, head of editorial at gal-dem Charlie Brinkhurst Cuff, poet Ruth Sutoyé and others.

BOOK NOW

MAN ON THE MOON BY KEISHA THOMPSON

7 November

Using her unconventional relationship with her father, poet and storyteller Keisha Thompson explores the impact that mental health can have on the family dynamic, particularly within the context of the Black British experience. Keisha communicates with her reclusive dad through books, letters and symbols. But when the letters stop coming she is forced to venture into his world. This truth-infused narrative sees the protagonist follow a trail of breadcrumbs that lead her to a number of check-points: cultural displacement, religious confusions, political paranoia, misplaced masculinity and more.

BOOK HERE

FREE FAMILY STORYTELLING AND ARTS & CRAFTS

2 & 9 November

Storytelling 1: 2:30 - 13:15

Arts & Crafts: 13:45 - 15:00

Storytelling 2: 15:30 - 16:15

Have you ever wondered why dogs are kept at home as pets or why the Bear has a short tail? Would you like to hear their story?

Join the folks at CultureTree on Saturday 2 and Saturday 9 November as they lead a fun interactive African Storytime and arts & crafts sessions at the Tottenham Literature festival.

INFO

From our friends....

Arts Admin, Toynbee Studios: Lewis G. Burton: INFERNO SUMMIT

9 November

Join Lewis G Burton and guests at Artsadmin for INFERNO SUMMIT, a day-long seminar examining the intersections of nightlife, performance art, music and queerness as well as exploring themes such as class, culture and creativity.

More info

Bernie Grant Arts Centre

Town Hall Approach Road

Tottenham Green