Topics

FYI: BGAC autumn programme

Joseph Nicholas

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Your first look at our autumn arts programme
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 10:57:08 +0100
From: Bernie Grant Arts Centre <berniegrantartscentre@...>
To: tcs@...

AUTUMN HAS ARRIVED AT BERNIE GRANT ARTS CENTRE

Autumn has arrived at BGAC and we have got you covered this September and October with an exciting programme of events.

Tickets are on sale for trade by debbie tucker green and we have a fantastic cinema programme for you focusing on Sports in Film.

Read on to find out more and book tickets!

trade by debbie tucker green

4 & 5 October

trade, first performed in 2005 by the Royal Shakespeare Company, brings debbie tucker green’s distinctive voice to the BGAC stage. Get set for an intoxicating mix of fresh rhythm and raucous humour, as a group of women come to terms with the transactions that define who they are.

Welcome to the Caribbean. Where the sun is hot and the living is uneasy. Meet three women. An unlikely trio. Different ages, backgrounds and attitudes. Each has a unique relationship with the island. A home. A regular holiday haunt. A first time visit. Through language that fizzes and sparks, we begin to discover that they share one surprising thing in common.

BOOK NOW

OUT OF THE SYSTEM: MIXED BILL

22 & 23 October

Turning their gaze on society through four highly personal short works, the artists in our OotS Mixed Bill intrigue with physicality, lyricism, surreal visuals and experimental sound.

Headliner hip-hop theatre legend Jonzi D revives his modern classic Aeroplane Man, a cathartic quest for identity and belonging.

Curated by Dance Umbrella Guest Programmer Freddie Opoku-Addaie. This is a Dance Umbrella production presented in partnership with Bernie Grants Arts Centre.

Contains nudity

BOOK HERE

FILM: SPRINTER

19 September

Directed by Storm Saulter, Sprinter is the coming-of-age story of Akeem Sharp, who is set to be Jamaica’s next big track-and-field sensation. Akeem hopes a rise in the track and field world will take him to the U.S. to reunite him with his mother, who has supported the family while living as an illegal resident for over a decade. Not only does Akeem have to prove to himself and everyone that he can succeed, but also overcome the struggles that may ultimately bring him down.

114 mins

Age rating: 12A

BOOK NOW

FILM: ZANZIBAR SOCCER QUEENS

3 & 10 October

With footage of thrilling matches, Zanzibar Soccer Queens is a documentary about the Women Fighters FC, a team of predominantly Muslim women, who regularly win matches against men and are top of their small league of six women teams. They succeed in a society where opinions can conflict between the so called modesty of women and allowing them to chase their dreams.

90 mins

Age rating: PG

BOOK NOW

FILM: GAME FACE

4 & 17 October

Despite the image of progress in LGBT rights, on the sports field it can be a completely different story. Game Face follows the trajectories of two very different LGBT sport professionals: trans MMA fighter Fallon Fox and aspiring basketball player Terrence Clemens, who struggles to decide if he can come out or continue playing basketball and hide his sexuality. These people have to keep their Game Face on at all times.

95 mins

Age rating: 15

BOOK NOW

FILM: I AM ALI

18 October

Claire Lewin’s archive rich documentary brings the times and legend of Muhammad Ali’s life in full vitality. Muhammad Ali obsessively kept audio and video journals with his kids for them to listen to when they’re older. These astonishing previously unseen archives enrich I Am Ali, along with accounts from his family, friends and fellow boxers.

111 mins

Age guidance: PG

BOOK HERE

FILM: HOOP DREAMS – 25TH ANNIVERSARY WITH PRODUCER Q&A

26 October

First exhibited at the 1994 Sundance Film Festival, where it won the audience award for best documentary, Hoop Dreams is the remarkable true story of two Black American dreamers plucked from the streets and given the opportunity to attend a suburban prep school and play for a legendary high school coach. William Gates and Arthur Agee both soon discover that their dreams of NBA glory become obscured amid the intense pressures of academics, family life, economics and athletic competitiveness.

170 mins

Age guidance: 12

BOOK HERE

Bernie Grant Arts Centre Café & Bar

Grab a bite to eat and a drink  from our friendly staff at the Blooming Scent Café. We're serving a delicious Caribbean menu, including vegetarian options. There are freshly baked cakes and hot beverages too.

From our friends....

Stratford Circus Arts Centre: Woke

4 - 5 October

The powerful story of two women who challenge the American justice system, become criminalised for their activism, and face the same choice: stay and fight, or flee?

More info

Bernie Grant Arts Centre

Town Hall Approach Road

Tottenham Green