SAMKALPA -THE ONLY CAUSE OF BONDAGE.

Ramu

SAMKALPA -THE ONLY CAUSE OF BONDAGE.

In the Yoga-Vasista, Samkalpa is considered as the sole cause of all bondages (or 'binding karmic actions.') Samkalpa is loosely translated as 'Resolution' but it's full meaning is 'exercising self-will and choice so as to accomplish for oneself something one desires for one's own furthering'. (I will do this so that I will become that. This is similar to  personal ambition driven 'becoming' instead of 'being'.) Most of our  actions are driven by personal motives that determine 'what should be' as against 'what is' and the motive in turn is guided by our images of ourselves and from that image, ideas of what is personally desirable or undesirable. Thereby, a self-contradiction starts to  torment. The self-contradiction may be a result of Vikalpa, an intellectual process which leads to the formation of the self-image referred here and image of the objective experience through concepts, judgements, views, and opinions.