LIFE IS A PARADOX. AND SO, HOW DOES ONE DEAL WITH PARADOXES?

Ramu

LIFE IS A PARADOX.

AND SO, HOW DOES ONE DEAL WITH PARADOXES?

The question itself is wrong. To think of dealing with paradoxes, not to speak of resolving them, is a fundamentally wrong approach. If it can be dealt with or resolved, then it is no longer a paradox.  Well, a paradox cannot even be understood and therefore when I claim understanding of life or existence, either I am deluding myself or lacking in much needed humility or at the best, I am being simplistic.

Paradoxes deal with uncertainty and ambiguity. Life's paradoxes are the most so. There is no question of gaining familiarity, control, consistency, and the conclusion we often seek in understanding the aspects of life.

People, who claim to be experts, have tried tricks like Polarity Mapping and Duality Mapping in the business management senarios to deal with conflicting pulls and pushes. But these exercises, or models based on them, have not worked in managing conflicting business goals with any element of certainty - not even short term goals.

Paradoxical forces can not only be opposed, but also can cooperate with each other or complement each other and the best part is, they can change these positions.

The Yin and Yang philosophy is based on the premise that everything in the world consists of two elements that can be potentially conflicting and as well as potentially complementary. I should qualify this with words like, 'unintended' 'unimagined', 'unanticipated', unannounced' or 'unexpectedly'. This and such other philosophies always leave you in a blissful suspended state. Blissful? Yes, if the mind is trained not to seek certainty, finiteness, conclusions and permanence.

Nature's designs for existence seem to be made only of paradoxes. There cannot be any other way. I appear to exercise my freewill in my actions (or in my deliberate inaction which is also action) but I am actually forced to do so (so much for freewill!) and that too only to make some choices within limited options. And the outcomes and their impacts can be anybody's guess.

Yes. Life is a paradox. Period. No further analysis.

Pavel Axentiev

Yes, I've come to a similar conclusion recently.

Sometimes life presents us with paradoxes that are painfully obvious, too. Such as when both your action and inaction result in suffering, and you, not knowing the outcome, decide to refrain from action that will cause minimal amount of harm and realize only later that an immense amount of harm has been done. The result is accumulated karma. "Inaction in a deed of mercy" becomes an action in ... profound peace? Only fully developed bodhisattvas (Arhats?) can fully assess their actions with, perhaps, minimal error. Such beings, by definition, have fully realized their bodhicitta - desire to achieve full enlightenment for the benefit of all beings without exception.