MONEY DRIVEN FUTURE OF THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY ---

M K Ramadoss

MONEY DRIVEN FUTURE OF THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY ---
Years ago, when American Section was in a critical financial condition, Herbert Kern stepped in to help. He wanted financial help to work like a catalyst. But, due to the investments in Kern Trust grew, more and more money was flowing to American Section. The legal setup of the Trust required most of its income to distributed annually. If not, it has to pay income tax. Ultimately Trust ended up earning $1+ Million annually which was distributed mostly to American Section.

The increased income helped various projects. One of the consequences was that a top heavy administrative setup with almost everyone including National President at Wheaton was a salaried employee. Members were not told about the salaries of top people. All were having a good living.

Spiritual organizations are always led by unselfish volunteers and the standing example was TS founders - HPB and Olcott. TS spread around the world due to their sacrifice of prime of their life and all the money they had.

The unexpected Covid19 pandemic hit everyone - people and organizations. Naturally it hit TSA also. Soon it would find Kern money dries up due to downturn in investments.

Since the business model of TSA was based on money coming from Kern, now it has to decide how it plans to go forward. It can use the money ($17Million) in the Theosophical Trust and survive couple of years. But long term survival is at risk.

An enterprise run by volunteers and with a tight budget will not be affected by economical down turns. So TSA needs to get rid of most of the paid employees and find volunteers who would help. This will not happen if the President continues to be on salary and it is kept secret from members.

Let us see what the movers and shakers at Wheaton decide.

Thanks to Internet. We are all kept informed.

Ramu

Whether money driven or power driven or not, it has always been driven by the personal agenda of the President aligned with which are the personal agendas of the coterie.

I don't see scope for change by which the TS agenda and interest will be driving the work as long the rules are not made and followed in accordance with the relevant Act.

Ramu

M K Ramadoss

How events shape up in the USA will be interesting to watch.
Current scale of operation cannot last long.
When everyone at the HQ is salaried, does it not tell something?
Strange are the ways of future.

MKR

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:59 AM Ramu <peacebliss@...> wrote:
Whether money driven or power driven or not, it has always been driven by the personal agenda of the President aligned with which are the personal agendas of the coterie.

I don't see scope for change by which the TS agenda and interest will be driving the work as long the rules are not made and followed in accordance with the relevant Act.

Ramu

Pavel Axentiev

I would think that the salaries are not as important as the upkeep of the property, as well as paying the staff for for other services (library, etc.).

If you lived in the US, you probably would not think that somebody could be a full-time volunteer, running a successful organization, unless they were “filthy rich“ from the start.

It’s important to be cognizant of the circumstances in which we apply our ethical values. So far, as a TSA member, I can tell that the amount of work that the organization’s workers have been doing, has been quite remarkable. It does take a lot to keep the organization afloat. And in our digital age, even that amount of work sometimes seems insufficient to provide proper exposure to the movement in the country in which it was born.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:40 PM M K Ramadoss <mkr777@...> wrote:
How events shape up in the USA will be interesting to watch.
Current scale of operation cannot last long.
When everyone at the HQ is salaried, does it not tell something?
Strange are the ways of future.

MKR

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:59 AM Ramu <peacebliss@...> wrote:
Whether money driven or power driven or not, it has always been driven by the personal agenda of the President aligned with which are the personal agendas of the coterie.

I don't see scope for change by which the TS agenda and interest will be driving the work as long the rules are not made and followed in accordance with the relevant Act.

Ramu

M K Ramadoss

Good points.
The big budget with good salaries at Wheaton is due to the amount of money coming from Kern Foundation which annually $1million plus. Surely money attracts people looking for a job. Nothing wrong about it. Top people taking salaries should be transparent so everyone knows how much they are paid. Even the salary of President of USA is public information. TS never disclosed salaries.

But spiritual organizations succeed because of volunteers fired up by a cause. A fired up volunteer can do the job of two to three salaried employee who is always looking at the clock and wants to be paid for every minute he or she spends.

Going forward, Kern donation is going to be down drastically. Let us see if the fatcat members are willing to write big checks to keep the current expenses going.

I welcome anyone who wants to donate, to do so. But demand transparent accounting so we can see where the money goes.

In the case of American Section all of us know how much fees is paid to outside accountants and we need to know how they contribute to spreading theosophy.

Future is going to be interesting.

Peace

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 1:45 PM Pavel Axentiev <eternaldelight100@...> wrote:
[...]

Without beating our own drums, this discussion group (and its prior incarnation) has been around for three decades. All due to unpaid volunteers who are willing to devote their resources without taking a single penny of theosophy money.
With multi-million dollar budget, TSA miserably failed when it tried to start a group tightly moderated - it was during Algeo's time.
Even today, this list along with Facebook and Twitter pages of Theosophy News and Theosophical Network and theosophy.net platform are operated by unpaid volunteers and does not take a single penny directly or indirectly from any organization, trust or foundation. Which demonstrates where there is a will there is a way.

There are still to be found volunteers willing to sacrifice - time and money if right environment is created. Expecting them to come forward when everyone from top to bottom secretly take salary and money is not going to work out. If leaders continue the current business model of 'salaried priests',  let them try and our prayers are there since we want our brothers and sisters happy even though enjoying theosophy money may be morally and ethically wrong in a spiritual organization. Of course we cannot have any objection for cooks and janitors be paid well.

Peace

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/14/us/sunday-stickup/index.html