the secret doctrine

Ramanujachary nallanchakravarti

The “Wurzburg Manuscript”
Dr N C Ramanujachary
‘It seems to be “the order of things” that certain objects that are intended not to disappear do finally turn up. The original manuscript of the first Secret Doctrine, Vol.I, sent by H.P.B to Colonel Olcott, was at Adyar. How it reached Dr Besant’s room in Banaras I do not know; but once when she was not present at Convention I happened to look into an empty bookcase in her room, and on one shelf, in a dark corner, lying flat, was this big foolscap volume. Who had forgotten it when emptying the shelves, I do not know. I brought it to Adyar and began publishing it,’ writes Mr. C Jinarajadasa, in article published in The Theosophist, April 1952.
But he had to abandon its publication, which appeared seriatum since October 1932 to November 1933, in The Theosophist, ‘owing to the many difficulties constantly encountered in getting this Manuscript ready for printing’, as explained  by him in the issue for November 1933.
We cannot, at this later date, understand whether this happening is mere accidental, occasional, or mystical in its character. Mr. David Reigle, in his well documented Introduction to the Book “The Secret Doctrine Wurzburg Manuscript by H. P. Blavatsky: (pub: Eastern School Press, 2014) gives out the sequential events, also discussing the authenticity of third volume of The Secret Doctrine, 1897. The value addition of the book is the inclusion of Mr. Daniel Caldwell’s two pieces as appendices. The Chronology of the writing makes it abundantly interesting for a common reader as well to a keen student-researcher.
Madame Blavatsky begins her prologue ‘To the Readers” with a quote from Epictetus: “Strike but listen”, while this gets transformed in the final printed version to read as: Introductory: “Gently to hear, Kindly to judge” (Shakespeare, Henry V, Prologue).
Readers are perhaps aware and do remember that when the text The Secret Doctrine was initially thought of, it was proposed and supposed to be an ‘elaboration’ of Isis Unveiled(1877), in an intent to make the contents more comprehensive and understandable.  But the total plan was revised and re-revised a number of times. A mention of an old Book appears on the first page of Isis, where as we are provided with an explanation of the first page. ‘The short allusion to “the seventy thousand years of experience” has also to be vindicated and shown correct and the claims of the Kabalists and the Occultists more definitely stated. The eastern Adepts claim more decidedly their science to be older than that; for they place its origin with the First Race of men “whose thoughts were objectively expressed in  colour” as Speech descended later on, on Earth’ she asserts here. She reaffirms that Isis was a first and cautious attempt to acquaint the public with Occultism. She prepares the reader ‘to understand more clearly the teachings on Cosmic Evolution and the birth of man; and shows “on the authority of numberless works, ancient, mediaeval and modern, the actual existence of a WISDOM-RELIGION whose origin is lost in prehistoric periods”; as also that ‘the primitive Revelation to mankind as taught in the oldest record in the world (is) now in possession and safe keeping of the few surviving Initiates in Central Asia.” ’
H.P.B. wanted ‘to divide the few lines from the Old book’ into three principal groups:
  1. The ages of the World, our globe and that of man
  2. The primeval Manus of Humanity, under their various differentiations
  3. The first men of the Fourth Root-race and the Fifth of present mankind.
She categorically states that the last seventh sub race of the Third Root-race fell into generation and that we are one of the last offshoots of the first sub-races of the 5th great Aryan Race. (p.251 of the text)
Similarly, in each section of the text we find invariably some new idea or fact that provokes the thought. She says in the Section 5 ‘The Trial of the Sun-Initiates’: “If the Jesuits contented themselves with making dupes of  Freemasons, and converting that order into a mere convivial Benefit Club, which allures members by the prospect of refined Banquets in the Societies of Princes, statesmen and eloquent orators in speech and song. Their lethal plotting, however, have a much wider scope, and embrace a minuteness of detail and care of which the world in general has no idea. Everything must be done by them to bring the mass of mankind again to the state of passive ignorance and superstition. --- If Masonry was spoiled by the Jesuits they are unable to crush the real, invisible Rosicrucians and the Eastern Initiate.  --- The Hierophant of the Sapta Sindhava (seven rivers) and of the SAPTARSHI (the seven great Rishis) is not killed and may have something to say to the modern Initiate of the “Seven Hills.” It is only a question of time and patience,---” (p.119-20)
Coming back to the history of writing, in a letter to Mr. Sinnett (April 25, 1884), HPB writes: “I thank you for the intention you had of writing the Preface for Secret Doctrine. – I did not ask you to do it but the Mahatmas and Mohini here, and Subba Row there (at Adyar TS Headquarters) are quite sufficient for the task of helping me. --- But my own predilections or wishes have naught to do with my duty. MASTER orders and wills it be rewritten and rewrite I will.---“ Even earlier, in January 1884, she writes to him: ‘Subba Row helping me and writing most of the commentaries and explanations’. T. Subba Row, however, withdrew from cooperating with her work for his own reasons, but has ‘liked the Proem part of the first volume’, which we find from a letter of H.P>B. to Col. Olcott. We must remember the ‘proem’ consists in its part the ‘three fundamental propositions’ that offer the basic philosophy of theosophy.
In a letter to Colonel Olcott, February 24, 1888, H.P.B. writes: “It is I, who brought in, the first, the existence of our Masters to the world and the T.S. I did it because They sent me to do the work and make a fresh experiment in this XIX Century and I have done it, the best I knew how. It may not dovetail with Subba Row’s ideas, (but) it answers truth and fact.”
The Secret Doctrine text appeared in many editions brought from various publishing units; many abridgements, digests, commentarial books too came in, and we have minutes of HPB’s meetings, dialogues with students in recent years providing additional material for contemplative reflection. Yet, the reading of the Wurzburg Manuscript has its own unique and specific advantage. The same time we must also remember H.P.B’s words: The text basically is written ‘to show that the occult side of Nature has never been approached by the Science of modern civilization’ and ‘to assign to man his rightful place in the scheme of the Universe’.  This must induce further exploration by the scholars in every walk of life. Also the statement that the work is dedicated ‘to all true theosophists in every country and of every race for they called it forth and for them it was written,’ decidedly increases our responsibility.                                                                       #####
The Secret Doctrine Wurzburg Manuscript’ by H P Blavatsky(subtitled The 1885-1886 Version with the Stanzas of Dzyan and HPB’s Accompanying Commentaries)” --- is a recent publication from Eastern School Press (2014). Mr David Reigle provides an enlightening Introduction, running to 9 pages, wherein the reader can find the story of text’s writing, and its non-availability in full in public domain till now. Therein also is a particular reference to ‘a solitary page’ containing the three fundamental propositions  and three different versions thereof. Mr Reigle says “ It is a mystery how this solitary page got to Adyar, it is even greater mystery how another page came into the hands of Manly Hall in California. These are the only two pages from it now known to existence.”
Mr Reigle humbly says: “Preparing the Wurzburg Manuscript for publication was no small task. It required considerable labor and considerable expense. I was only one of four individuals involved in this task, the other three preferring to remain anonymous. It was they who did most of the work and bore all the expense. I offer my sincere thanks to them.” Yet the reading public and researchers do have a deep sense of gratitude and thankfulness for the undaunted courage they, all the four, had in performing the total work.
The text running to 380+XV pages is divided into three volumes ( History of some great occultists; Evolution of Cosmos and Evolution of Man) apart from three appendices.
Mr Daniel H Caldwell is one who did lot of research on the subject, among other tasks on HPB’s works. And his two essays (1) The writing of The Secret Doctrine: A Chronology and (2) The Myth of the “Missing” Third volume of The Secret Doctrine, running around 120 pages, get included, with his kind permission, in the present publication. The value of these essays is too unexplainable and incalculable. The reader could have landed in a total disadvantageous position in obtaining comprehensive understanding/assessment of the work of HPB.
Mr David Reigle deserves the thanks of the students, the present and future generations, of the theosophical philosophy.

[...]

Literature is for Portrayal of Philosophic Ideas.

Dr N C Ramanujachary(Srivirinchi)
Besant Gardens, The Theosophical Society, Adyar, Chennai 600 020
Phone: 044/24913584, Mobile: 9444963584