From: "M K Ramadoss" <mkr777@...>
Sent: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 03:12:06 GMT+0530
To: Theosophy@groups.io
Subject: Re: [theosophy] Lack of Diversity is Existential threat to American Theosophy

Thanks for sharing your observations. As everyone knows all the activities are concentrated and all money spent at National level (Kern foundation grants $1million+/yr) and reduction in branch level grass roots activities and also branches sending off lion’s share of money to National HQ (Cleveland lodge sent $50,000 to Wheaton and donated $11k for local charities.) Future members can only come from branches. There is no indication as yet of the leadership seeing the need to come with plans to increase branch level activities essential for future survival of TS in USA. Looks like leaders tend to think all wisdom lies with them and comments or critique are not welcome - either ignored or the commentator may have to pay a price for not keeping quiet! Let us keep tuned.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM Jerry Hejka-Ekins <jjhe7@...> wrote:
Your point regarding the lack of representation of racial diversity, in the TS in this country is well taken and quite evident. As I look through the National Convention group pictures taken over the years, I see a  blur of white faces with a very occasional minority one. The cause is another question. I submit that the racist laden ideas that began to appear in the so called “neo-theosophical” literature in the early 20th century contributed to this problem and thus did harm to the Movement. Though these remarks were quietly removed by the  60s, the harm was already done. It would follow that to the extent our current TS representatives recognize and positively respond to the wisdom among our minority voices, we ought to be seeing a revitalization that would transform and strengthen the TS into a more relevant and influential factor for the betterment of humanity.

On Aug 29, 2020, at 7:34 AM, M K Ramadoss <mkr777@...> wrote:

Lack of Diversity is Existential threat to American Theosophy

Students of theosophy need to wake up and shake up the leadership which has been silent on this issue

Preaching, teaching meditation concentration and other tricks do not help

What is needed is action to reachout to minorities

Note:

Membership has dropped from 8,000 to less than 4,000 in 40 yrs

this in spite of spending a lot of money!

Reason is simple

Lack of active involvement with local population in Lodges

As growing multi-cultural country, the minorities - black and hispanic and others are nearly 50%

Need to work hard to take theosophy to them!