Re: On Going Sad Debacle in Varanasi –

M K Ramadoss

Great response.

The pitiful unnecessary suffering our brothers and sisters endured in International Convention should surprise no one who has lived in Varanasi. At the height of Winter it is very cold and some times there is rain. An ounce of common sense would have avoided all the unnecessary suffering.

When the question of holding convention at Varanasi came up, some wise minds from Varanasi suggested moving the convention to October when the weather is warm and nice. But it was turned down from Adyar since none of the International officers have lived in India and knew first hand. Every past president had lived many years in India and knew about the Winter in North India.

Bro. Gohil, Indian Section General Secretary should not be blamed even though some may try to blame the fiasco on him. He and his team of volunteers should be congratulated in that they tried their best.

Fortunately, with the help of Internet we saw first hand what went on. But for the Theosophy News and Theosophy Group, members world-wide would have been kept in the dark and we are all lucky.

M K Ramadoss

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 6:33 AM Konstantin Zaitzev via Groups.Io <kay_ziatz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It should be also taken into account that the buildings in Adyar where the Indian delegates normally stay apparently weren't affected by renovation.
So circa 1400 Indian delegates were subjected to inconvenience for the convenience of circa 50 western delegates (and very dubious convenience, as they had to suffer too) .
There are many other buildings in both territories of Adyar estate where the westerners could be lodged, though maybe with the lesser comfort and scattered over the various buildings. Even though not all those biuldings might be in good order, noting how much money were spent for the amphiteatre in Varanasi (the sum was mentioned at the opening) and some new building for accomodation (the fact of new building finished just before the convention was mention at the closing), those buildings in Adyar could be brought in order for much lesser cost.