LUDI MEGALENSES | IPSE DIXIT: ITEM FOUR

P. Annaeus Constantinus Placidus, aedilis curulis

Ædilis CUrulis Publius Annæus Constantinus Placidus omnibus Civibus bonæ voluntatis S.P.D.

This LUDI MEGALENSES edition of my long-running Latin quiz IPSE DIXIT is rapidly approaching its conclusion. All of you Novi Romani out there are hereby invited to join me on my linguistic and cultural quest along the footsteps of our ancestors - and not only - for a PRIZE, consisting in Century Points (CP) for the three highest scorers!

ITEM FOUR
This Item comprises the first three lines of a poem. It is longer than the previous Items because I wanted to put it as a complete sentence.

O FORTVNA, VELVT LVNA, STATV VARIABILI

Questions:
1. Translate this sentence into English or Italian. (2 points)
2a. The poem from which these lines are taken is part of a collection. What is the title of the collection and what does it mean? (1 point + 1 point)
2b. When did the collection first appear as such? (2 points)
3a. Who wrote the most famous musical setting of the poem? (1 point)
3b. In the setting mentioned above, what is the title of the movement which starts with the musical setting of the poem? (2 points)
3c. Translate into English or Italian the above-mentioned title. (2 points)
4. Explain in your own words the meaning of these lines in the context of the original poem. (3 points)

Rules:
Please e-mail your answers to ugo DOT coppola1970 AT gmail DOT com, with IPSE DIXIT and the Item number as your subject. DO NOT reply directly to this message and DO NOT post your answers to the Forum Romanum mailing list or anywhere on the Internet. Doing any of these will result in your immediate disqualification from the game.
I would also like to remind you that all of the previous Items are still available for answering on the Forum Romanum group and on Facebook; the deadline for all answers is estabilished at Midnight, Rome Time, of Saturday, 10th April, when LUDI MEGALENSES shall finish and I shall post all of the solutions.

Optime valete omnes!
-
P. Annæus Constantinus Placidus
Ædilis Curulis Novæ Romæ