Re: LUDI NOVI ROMANI MMDCCLXXIV - IPSE DIXIT: Solutions, Winner Proclamation and Official Ludi Closure

Cn. Cornelius Lentulus, quaestor, praefectus rei publicae administrandae, curator rei informaticae, pontifex

Cn. Lentulus quaestor P. Annaeo aedili, C. Claudio victori, A. Scribonio secundo, et Autroniae Stoloni tertiae s. p. d.

Thank you, aedilis Publi Annaee, for the nice quiz, and please all contestants accept our appreciation for having sacrificed to Concordia, Mars, Iuppiter and the other deities honored by these ludi, through participation. Remember fellow citizens, that not only meat, wine and food were sacrifices in Roman religion, but also dance (sometimes), song, contests, gladiatorial games, theatrical productions. Our online ludi are not, in the first place, for the entertainment of our citizens, but for the "entertainment" of the gods, or better to say, in honor of our gods. Those who participated, choose to honor the gods. Things like this make Nova Roma the beacon of Roman religion today.

Once again, congratulations to C. Claudius Quadratus, one of our eternal number one Latin contestants, and tp A. Scribonius and Autronia, an excellent new citizen!

Quadratus will receive 3 Cultural Census Points in his Album Civium register, Scribonius 2, and Autronia 1.

Valete! Vivat Nova Roma!
CN. LENTVLVS QVAEST.

Il martedì 16 marzo 2021, 02:28:16 CET, P. Annaeus Constantinus Placidus, aedilis curulis <ugo.coppola1970@...> ha scritto:

Ædilis Curulis Publius Annæus Constantinus Placidus omnibus in Foro S.P.D.

"All good things must come to an end," the old proverb says. So this nice and very ejoyable Special LUDI NOVI ROMANI Anniversary edition of Nova Roma's longest running quiz, IPSE DIXIT, actually ends here. In the following lines I shall give the solutions to all Items of the quiz and then proclaim the winner.

However, I will do things in order. In the solutions below here, the original questions are in italic and the answers are in ordinary type.

ITEM ONE

AB OVO

Questions
1. Please translate this phrase literally into English. (1 point)

From the egg.

2. Where does this phrase originate from? (2 points)

Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace), Satire 1.3; ab ovo usque ad mala = from the egg to the fruit, referring to the whole course of a meal.

3. Using your own words as far as possible, explain the meaning of doing something ab ovo. (3 points). NOTE: As with all of my 'interpretative' questions, the correctness of your answer here will be judged only by myself.

Ab ovo is used to mean "from the start", "from the beginning". Doing something ab ovo means starting from the beginning. E.g. when somebody tells a confusing story, he may be told "Please stop and start again ab ovo."

ITEM TWO

MANVS MANVM LAVAT

Questions
1. Please translate this sentence into English. You may add articles. (1 point)

Literally "hand washes hand". Commonly translated as "one hand washes one hand" or "One hand washes the other."

2. Where does this phrase originate from? (2 points)

Translated by Lucius Annæus Seneca from a play by Freek playwrigh Epicharmus.

3. Explain in your own words the meaning of this phrase, as opposed to its translation. (3 points)

The phrase indicates an exchange of favours. It is similar to the English proverb "You'll scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

4. Which famous Italian writer used this phrase, and extended it, in a very famous historical novel of his? (3 points)

Alessandro Manzoni in The Bethroted, chapter XIV: "One hand washes another and both of them wash the face". He means that an exchange of favours may lead to a bigger common goal.

ITEM THREE

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLVM

Questions
1. Please translate this phrase into English. Feel free to add words which are not in the original Latin. (2 points)

If you want peace, prepare (for) war.

2. Where does this phrase originate from? (2 points)

Adapted from De re militari by  P. Flavius Vegetius Renatus.  The phrase suggests that people must always be ready to fight against a known enemy even in times of peace - in order to mantain the peace.

3. Please quote at least three examples of modern usages of this phrase, or part of it, or transations of it. (3 points)

A possible list of usages:
- It is the motto of the Royal British Navy.
- It is the motto for the Franco-Russian Pact of 1892.
- It appeared on the front door of the German weapons and ammunition factory Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (DWM). A type of bullet made there came to be known as "parabellum".
- It is the motto of the superhero known as The Punisher, from Marvel Comics.
- American band Metallica, in their 1991 song "Don't Tread On Me", had the line: "To secure peace is to prepare for war."
- The 2019 film "John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum" is named after the bullet. A character in the film quotes the original phrase.

ITEM FOUR

ECCE HOMO

Questions:
1. Please translate this phrase into English. Feel free to add to it, but stick to the literal meaning of single words. (1 point)

The most common English translation, by far, is "Behold the man." This is quoted in most English-language Latin textbooks. However, it is not literal. Ecce, deriving from et+ce, literally means "and here", thus the phrase very literally translates into "and here man". The verb "is" and an article may be implied ("and here is the man").

2a. Where does this phrase originate from? (2 points)

Gospel of John, 19:5. Originally written in Greek. 2b. According to the writer, who is the originator of the phrase? (1 point)

Pontius Pilate.

3a. Explain in your own words the meaning of the phrase in its original context. (3 points)

Presenting a beaten, tortured and scourged Christ to a clamouring crowd, Pilate was mocking him, claiming that the abuse had made him unrecognizable as a man.  In other words, he was saying: "Look what have you done to this man!" or "Are you really sure you can still call this a man?" Other interpretations, like "He is a man and not the Son of God" are later, and not in the New Testament.

3b. Explain in your own words the meaning of the phrase as used in our own times. (3 points) NOTE: at least one modern usage of the phrase is usually ironical.

It is generally applied to all victims, especially of physical abuse. German philosopher Friederich Nietzsce used it ironically in a treatise about the failure of man's noble ambitions, and when somebody or something is defined as "like ecce homo" or "in a ecce homo status", they are defined as utterly untidy, messy and unrecognizable.

ITEM FIVE

PORTA PATENS ESTO NVLLI CLAVDARIS HONESTO

Questions:

1. What was Martin's mistake? (2 points)

According to a traditional Italian story from the 1500s, Martinus (Martin) was an abbot in a convent in Tuscany. He wanted to place the above phrase as an inscription on the door of his convent. However, he put a dot (full stop/period) in the wrong place: after nulli instead than after esto.

2a. Please translate the phrase into English in its correct meaning. (3 points)

Door, may you stay open. May you not be closed to any honest (person).

2b. Please translate the phrase into Engish in its altered meaning, i.e. including Martin's mistake. (3 points)

Door, may you stay open to nobody. May you be closed to honest (people).

3. 3. What is the proverbial motto derived from this story?

In Italian it is "Per un punto Martìn perse la cappa", i.e. "Because of a dot, Martin lost his cloak". It refers to a seemingly trival mistake which may generate disastrous consequences.

FINAL STANDINGS
First place: GAIUS CLAUDIUS QUADRATUS - 40 points - WINNER OF THE GAME
Second place: AULUS SCRIBONIUS NASICA - 37 points
Third place: DECIMA AUTRONIA STOLO - 36 points

On behalf of the entire Ædilitas, I would like to express my sincere and heartfelt thanks to the three contestants who sent me their replies, as well as to everybody who subscribed their chariots in my other game for these Ludi, the Virtual Chariot Race.

All of the above having been said, in the name of the Res Publica Nova Romana, I hereby declare the 2774 a.U.c edition of LUDI NOVI ROMANI officially CLOSED!

Optime valete omnes,
Publius Annæus Constantinus Placidus
Ædilis Curulis Novæ Romæ

Join TheForumRomanum@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.