VCO TP Frequency

Don Woodward

In the operation & construction notes it says to expect the frequencies below:

but I am seeing

1.914GHz on RX
1.916GHz on TX

I can't seem to find the TX signal for either unit on my IF receiver anywhere in the 144.xxx range.

Were there changes in the frequencies made in this second batch?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

Iain Crawford

I can confirm that all frequencies in the 2nd batch board I've just received are all as specified in "122G_Operation_Construction_notes_1.07.pdf".

Hmm ... that's interesting.

I ordered two boards, which I received last week. I did the OCXO mod on one board and swapped the bad one in my box for the new one with the OCXO mod. I put the 20 dB horn on it.  I use an Isotemp 10 MHz OCXO.

I set the other one up as a signal source - I did not do any mods on it and I set it up in beacon mode without an antenna. I pointed it in the direction of the other unit  about 3 feet away. I had the digital encoder on both units set to 0, mode A. I found the signal from the transmitter drifting between 144.397 and 144.404. It was pinning the s-meter of my receiver.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 7:54 AM Don Woodward <dbwoodw@...> wrote:
In the operation & construction notes it says to expect the frequencies below:

but I am seeing

1.914GHz on RX
1.916GHz on TX

I can't seem to find the TX signal for either unit on my IF receiver anywhere in the 144.xxx range.

Were there changes in the frequencies made in this second batch?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

Don Woodward

Zack

Did you do the VA3TO 10MHz mod or the mod in the operation and construction document?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

[...]

Sort of a combination. I removed R200 and L4. I put a jumper across the pads that are for R47 and C47 instead of the blue wire VA3TO showed. I also put a 68 ohm resistor across the OCXO input connector.

72, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM Don Woodward <dbwoodw@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Moss

Don
Does the LED light up and Change color between rx/tx. ?
Jim

On Sep 1, 2021, at 8:12 AM, Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@...> wrote:

[...]

<image.png>

<image.png>

but I am seeing

1.914GHz on RX
1.916GHz on TX

I can't seem to find the TX signal for either unit on my IF receiver anywhere in the 144.xxx range.

Were there changes in the frequencies made in this second batch?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

Mine does. It starts out red and changes to green. It changes to red on CW transmit. It flashes red with the CW in the beacon mode.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:20 AM Jim Moss <n9jim@...> wrote:
[...]

yes sir

73

Don W
KD4APP

[...]

Same here.

Don W
KD4APP

[...]

Don, do you have a way to download the PIC programming with a PICKIT3 and compare it to what the programming is supposed to be? I have checked, found errors in, and reprogrammed a couple others' units because the EEPROM data got corrupted somehow.

Note, if you do this, do it with the unit powered up first! This puts 3.3 volts on the PIC and RF chips and the PICKIT3 senses the voltage and uses the 3.3 volts. If you do it with the unit unpowered, the PICKIT3 will put 5 volts on the line. This is what happened when I burned out my original unit.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Don Woodward <dbwoodw@...> wrote:
Same here.

Don W
KD4APP

[...]

militaryoperator <Military1944@...>

Is the 122G control Schema 1.05 still valid for the 2nd run boards as a basic setup?

Ben

Mike Lavelle K6ML

On 09/01/2021 5:54 AM Don Woodward <dbwoodw@...> wrote:

In the operation & construction notes it says to expect the frequencies below:

but I am seeing

1.914GHz on RX
1.916GHz on TX
Are you sure that you can measure frequency that accurately?   I suspect they are correct.
I can't seem to find the TX signal for either unit on my IF receiver anywhere in the 144.xxx range.
You need to listen for the first radio (in Tx mode, key down) with a second radio in rx mode.

When the first radio is in Tx mode on chan 0, its LO is at 122500.4, it is Txing at 122500.4 and if IF=144.4, the Rx is listening to 122356.0 (LO-144.4) and 122644.8 (LO+IF).   The way for the first radio to hear itself would be to use a DC coupled IF (122500.4 - 0), which is how it works as a radar, picking up IF Doppler shifts of 10s to 100s of kHz.   The first radio may hear itself at other IFs as well, thanks to spurs and overload.

The second radio will hear the first radio properly at 122500.4 because when it is set to Rx mode and ch0, its LO is at 122356.0 and its listening to 122500.4 (LO+144.4) and 122211.6 (LO-144.4).
Were there changes in the frequencies made in this second batch?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

Tim - VK2XAX

Hi Don,

As others have suggested you might like to re-flash the PIC with the code.

I tested every board for frequency, RX & TX output before I shipped them, so I know they all worked before leaving here :)

I did find 2 ( which I still have ) that had a similar problem to yours.

reloading the code to the pic fixed the issue.

Maybe some of the PICs in this batch are a bit "soft"

regards

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

Don Woodward

Zack

I do not currently have access to do that, but I can order a programmer and check that out.  Would that be done through the J1 ICSP connector?

I see Tim has suggested a reload so your suggestion is a great one.

Do you have any recommendations on a PICKET3?  I see an original one on Amazon for $110 and clones for less like this one for $23.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

[...]

It appears this is the one I have. It was a lot less than a PICKIT3 made by Microchip. But it performs just fine. I think it is an identical clone.

Yes, I ran some leads from the J1 ICSP connector. to a 5-pin connector that can be connected to the PICKIT3 through a jumper cable (supplied with the PICKIT3). It connects to a USB port. It even detects what the PIC is that is connected to it. I think I found software on line for it - it uses the software supplied by Microchip.

I've used it for a lot of other things, too. I wrote a program for a PIC 16F688 that detects the digital band encoding for the FT897D and switches antennas between 144 and 432 MHz.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Don Woodward <dbwoodw@...> wrote:
[...]

Stefan

Hi Zack

I while ago I bought a pickit 3 but installed the wrong software. Can you hint me on what i need to install?

Stefan

[...]

Email sent using Optus Webmail

I think that link got screwed up but I think this is mine:

The one you linked should be just as good.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 5:05 PM Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@...> wrote:
[...]

Try forcing a reload of the program by shorting MC low on the interface a couple times.
Jim

On Sep 1, 2021, at 3:05 PM, Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't know how I got the software from Microchip. I'm having trouble finding it now. But I just uploaded the program I use to the Files section at groups.io. It is PICKIT3 stand-alone programming software.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 5:11 PM Stefan <comlab@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike and all:

I took your advice and checked the accuracy of my measurements done on my HP 8565A SA and it was way off - I used a BG7TBL signal generator that goes to 20GHz and is locked to a GPDO that has been checked against a HP 5342A counter also locked to the same GPSDO.

I am seeing the correct VCO TP frequency when I account for the error.

Now to look further.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP