VK3CV 122 board status display

Barry Chambers

I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN

G1BVI-Nick

Hi Barry
Saw that in Scatterpoint and wondered how you had mounted it etc..... these are the missing images.
It looks a very interesting  addition.

Hioe to get my 122 next year..
I am sure this will be a popular add on

73

Nick

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020, 08:37 Barry Chambers, <b.chambers@...> wrote:
I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN

Barry Chambers

Hi Nick

at least 5 have been built as beta testers in the UK so far. Ask me for the sketch when you want to build one.

The article in SP seems to have got a bit ammended as there should also have been a photo of the mounted board.

73 Barry, G8AGN

--
73
Barry, G8AGN

G1BVI-Nick

Thanks Barry
Will do that next year.
I ordered two boards so I can do local testing talking to my self hi hi.
No idea of an enclosure yet but will include your display on each me thinks 😉

73
Nick

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020, 08:49 Barry Chambers, <b.chambers@...> wrote:

[...]

Is the code for the Arduino available?

73, Zack W9SZ

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 2:37 AM Barry Chambers <b.chambers@...> wrote:
I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN

Barry Chambers

Hi Zak

see attached

73 Barry, G8AGN

On 07/12/2020 13:44, Zack Widup wrote:
Hi Barry,

Is the code for the Arduino available?

73, Zack W9SZ

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 2:37 AM Barry Chambers <b.chambers@...> wrote:
I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN
--
73
Barry, G8AGN

Thanks Barry!

73, Zack W9SZ

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 8:06 AM Barry Chambers <b.chambers@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Woodward

Brilliant work and very easy to read code.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN
--
73
Barry, G8AGN

Mark GM4ISM

Hi All

Ive just  done a PCB design for Barry's LCD display design, with a few add ons,   eg

an on-board 5V regulator  ( the Pro-mini regulator to 3.3V  can get a bit stressed by more than 12V if you aren't careful)

A divided down sample of the input supply for a battery voltage monitor that could be implemented in code & displayed, hardware for  a further analogue voltage monitor  input and headers for the remaining Arduino IO pins

Facility for the Arduino to potentially  send CW  as a beacon using the Key line.  Not sure if my beacon keyer  sketch will fit alongside Barry's  code but I'll have a go

I have also  implemented the serial TX line to the GPS module from the board so that in theory, so you could send data to the GPS module, for example  to set the PPS output to 1MHz instead of 1PPS on an Neo7 or similar, for use in a GPSDO

2 push buttons have been implemented so that the user can interact with the arduino  if future firmware demands it

Cant think of any other features that could be implemented on this small board but if anyone has any burning desire to display something within a small Arduino's capability , or get the Arduino to control something, please let me know.

I am getting a prototype batch ordered shortly,  if anyone is interested in the PCBs  please let me know.

I will advise costs shortly  if there is interest

Regards

Mark GM4ISM

On 07/12/2020 08:37, Barry Chambers wrote:
I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN

G1BVI-Nick

Hi Mark
Add ne to the list please
Thanks

73

Nick
G1bvi

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, 12:33 Mark GM4ISM via groups.io, <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Steve Gemeny

Mark,

Looks like some nice work and a very useful accessory.

Please add me to your list of those interested - quantity 2 please.

Thanks,

Steve

AA3NM

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Nick

Good morning Barry,

I would be interested in a couple of the display PC boards as well. Nice work. Having done the display mod without a PCB, I can see a lot of value in having one.

73's

Nick
N0CYT
PNWVHF Society

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 5:02 AM Steve Gemeny <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

If you have a PICKIT3, you can update the firmware in the board to allow you to change the callsign in the CW beacon via the RS-232 port. Or you can just change the callsign in the assembly language code and reprogram the PIC on the board via the ISP port.

Note - power up the transverter board first before using the PICKIT3. It will detect the presence of the 3.3 volts and not supply its own voltage to the board. Otherwise, you risk putting 5 volts on the 3.3 volt line, which supplies 3.3 volts to several other chips as well. You risk damaging them if that line has 5 volts on it.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 2:37 AM Barry Chambers <b.chambers@...> wrote:
I have developed a status display for the 122 GHz board. It is based on an Arduino Pro-Mini and looks at the state of the CH A/B, PTT, KEY and channel switches. This information is then displayed on a 160x128 TFT colour display, together with the 122 Board's transmit or receive mode. and frequencies. If  wanted, the display can also use the output from the 122 board's GPS module to display the time and your 10 figure Maidenhead locator. See photos and schematic attached.

73  Barry, G8AGN

Peter Bates

2 Boards please Mark

73
Pete GM4BYF
On 08/03/21 12:33, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Hi Zack,

Yes of course I forgot that feature.. I haven't run my unit up yet.

I was thinking,  it may be possible to clock real hand sent CW into EEPROM in the arduino in just the same way as the old memory keyers worked. Horribly inefficient use of data space but it would give you an instant memory keyer, with very little code space.  May be useful..

Have just modified the board so that the interface with the 'transverter' has an extra (ground) pin..   that makes 7 pins. Should help reduce assembly errors as the other headers have 6 pins..

 A quick question. When keying the  unit, must the PTT line also be enabled?  Given the  TX is the LO, i'm not sure and haven't read that far :)

Mark GM4ISM

On 08/03/2021 13:40, Zack Widup wrote:
[...]

Herbert Ullmann

Mark,

I would be interested in 3 boards if possible

Thanks,

73 Herbert
AF4JF

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 06:33:40 AM CST, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism@...> wrote:

[...]

No, enabling the PTT and the Keying line at the same time puts the unit into beacon mode and it will send the call of whatever is programmed into the PIC in the module. You can hand key it or use an external bug or keyer on the Keying line.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 8:33 AM Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Please put me down for two boards.  This addition look very helpful.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Joe, IT9BLB

Hi Mark,
I would be interested in a couple of the display PC boards.

Thanks,

73, Joe IT9BLB

[...]

Can you double my request to two boards please.
Thanks
73
Nick
G1BVI