Re: All boards tested....

It doesn't matter to me as long as I know what each color means. I did something inadvertently with two different color diodes on something I built. I got the colors reversed. I never bothered to swap them. Sp I'd say just leave it.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:02 AM Nick <nickk968@...> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Please leave the diode it as it is and thank you very much for the mountains of work you and others have done on this project.

73's,

Nick
N0CYT
CN87uv

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:23 AM Eric Van Offelen <eric.vanoffelen@...> wrote:
I also vote "leave it"
Many thanks for the fantastic work !
73 de Eric ON5TA

Le lun. 18 mai 2020 à 05:13, Paul AA6PZ <aa6pz@...> a écrit :
I vote with the majority.  Having two software variants will only lead to more confusion in the long run.  Individuals can decide to leave it, re-wire the LED, or modify their personal copy of the firmware.

Paul

On Sunday, May 17, 2020, 12:16:43 PM PDT, Rick Beatty <w7rnb47@...> wrote:

Andrew - I agree -- Leave it alone, it's only an LED - Rick W7RNB

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 10:49 AM André F1PYR via groups.io <andre_f1pyr=yahoo.fr@groups.io> wrote:
Same here "leave it "

73 Andre F1PYR

Le dimanche 17 mai 2020 à 15:35:24 UTC+2, Jean-Louis B. <f1hnf@...> a écrit :

I also vote "leave it".

73 of Jean*Louis F1HNF/West FRANCE  - QRV up to 122 GHz, with 134 GHz under construction.

Le 17/05/2020 à 15:13, Paul G8KFW a écrit :

Hi Andrew

I feel we only want one set of firmware and at this stage we shouldn’t be using it to correct wiring mistakes

As 90 % of use will be mounting the led remotely to the PCB in order to make it visible then there is not a problem

I vote "leave it".

Regards Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: The122GProject@groups.io [mailto:The122GProject@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ev Tupis via groups.io
Sent: 17 May 2020 14:04
To: The122GProject@groups.io
Subject: Re: [The122GProject] All boards tested....

Hi Andrew,

We are amateur radio operators.  Those if us who lack the skill to flip an LCD (if they desire to do so) will likely have many more issues to deal with anyway.

I vote "leave it".

THANK YOU (yup, I'm shouting) for spearheading this activity and for the extra work that you've already done.

Yours in the hobby,

Ev, W2EV

PS: I plan to run an online meeting with the others in my region that have joined in this purchase.  Collaboration is the key.  If/when that happens, I'll let others here know in case there are others who would benefit from such collaboration.  Of course, time zones will come into play. Lol.

On Sunday, May 17, 2020, 5:12:28 AM EDT, Andrew VK3CV via groups.io <vk3cv_wq1s@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Regarding the LED fault. Fixing the hardware error with a software change is easy but then we'll have 2 different software versions which I don't think is a good idea for several reasons. By the way, the LED is bi-directional and will work and will not be damaged whichever way it's inserted,  it's just the colour will change.

Firstly, some background for the LED. I never intended for the LED to be permanently mounted on the PCB, It's there as a matter of convenience for initial testing. My intent was to have the LED remotely mounted on wires. To solve the current  issue, simply reverse the connections when the LED is rewired. The argument that the PCB may be damaged by reworking the LED isn't really valid as many wires need to be soldered to the PCB to get it operating anyway. To avoid a de-soldering operation of the LED on the PCB which can be difficult for some, just cut the LED leads half way and connect wires to the old leads to remote the LED. Or just solder the LED leads back directly but in the correct orientation if you want the LED to remain on the PCB.

If I do a software fix for the LED, For those who are building their own systems the current documentation will be wrong and will need updating as well as the software.

Also, if I do a software fix for the LED, All built PCB's and existing systems will need a software update and existing operational systems will need to have the LED reversal to avoid 2 different software versions.

I'll do what ever the group wants but my advice is to fix the hardware error with a hardware fix.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy in these difficult times. 

Andrew VK3CV / WQ1S 

>  

>  

> On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 4:07 pm, AG6QV - Frank

> <frank@...> wrote:

>

>

>  It is great to see how software can be used to fix hardware issues!

>

> - Frank

>

>

> On 5/16/20 5:59 PM, Iain Crawford wrote:

>> A quick check of the code reveals an easy fix.

>> There are two procedures , LEDRED and LEDGRN which, as the names suggest, make the LED show red or green.

>> It would just be a case of swapping the code between the two procedures.

>>

>> Iain VK5ZD

>>

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From: The122GProject@groups.io [mailto:The122GProject@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Miller

>> Sent: Sunday, 17 May 2020 09:56

>> To: The122GProject@groups.io

>> Subject: Re: [The122GProject] All boards tested....

>>

>> I suspect the is sound logic for the red and green.

>> Getting users to swap LED’s might be difficult for some users and open the boards up to damage.

>>

>> If there is a software fix that would be great.

>>

>> Thanks for all your work on this.

>>

>> Dave

>> VE7HR

>>> On May 16, 2020, at 5:23 PM, Tim <VK2XAX@...> wrote:

>>>

>>> Hi Dave,

>>>

>>> Thanks for the note.

>>>

>>> I suspect the LED is under software control so it may be possible, I'll let Andrew answer that one.

>>>

>>> regards

>>>

>>> Tim

>>>

>>>> On 17/5/20 10:17 am, Dave Miller wrote:

>>>> Tim,

>>>> That is an incredible amount of work you have completed.

>>>> Based on your results it seems like a stable design.

>>>>

>>>> Rather than turning the LED around can the software be tweaked?

>>>>

>>>> Will look out for shipping details.

>>>>

>>>> Thanks

>>>> Dave

>>>> VE7HR

>>>>

>>> --

>>> VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

> --

> 73 de Frank

> CN87tl

>

>

>

>

-----

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2016.0.8048 / Virus Database: 4793/15886 - Release Date: 08/14/18

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join The122GProject@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.