Vive l’Empereur

Sylvain Durand

Edited

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

JC

Was he vaccinated?????

JC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 06:57:42 AM MST, Sylvain Durand via groups.io <sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

Napoleon started the first mass vaccination program in France during the Consulat. It was for smallpox

The mortality rate of smallpox at that time was around 30%

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 12:24:06 PM MST, JC via groups.io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

Was he vaccinated?????

JC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 06:57:42 AM MST, Sylvain Durand via groups.io <sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

Oh wow, hadn't considered that it was the 200th anniversary of his death.  Love him or hate him, he was a true genius.

I just read an article about a book written by one of Napoleon's secretaries that recounts how the Emperor managed his empire while also waging a continental war.  Truly amazing, actually.  And this was before computer technology.  I understand Napoleon could give dictation simultaneously to multiple secretaries.

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 2:31 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: "The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io" <the-table-top-gaming-society@groups.io>, The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: Re: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] Vive l’Empereur

Napoleon started the first mass vaccination program in France during the Consulat. It was for smallpox

The mortality rate of smallpox at that time was around 30%

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 12:24:06 PM MST, JC via groups.io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

Was he vaccinated?????

JC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 06:57:42 AM MST, Sylvain Durand via groups.io <sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

There is a theory that he was slowly poisoned.  I think he was 51 or 52 when he died.

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] Vive l’Empereur

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

Sylvain Durand

I heard the poison theory
Napoleon was nearly captured by Cossacks in Winter 1812 and carried afterward Poison with him to avoid capture
He took the poison in April 1814 but survived. It might have explained the high level of arsenic and a hole found in his stomach during his autopsy
The Emperor physical condition was only a shadow of itself at the end of the Empire but he was in his mid 40s and exhausted by 20 years of campaigning

Enjoy the winery !!!

Sylvain

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

Michael Farley

Another angle on the poisoning thing is remember the state of medicine at that time. Napoleon was in very poor health and doctors were trying to “help”.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>

Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)

To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

JC

IIRC it is more than a theory.  They did a post mortem on the remains a decade or two ago.  Lots of arsenic I think.  Sylvain would know.

JC

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

He died at 51 going on 52
They don’t know if the arsenic comes from the soil in Sainte Helene where he was buried or if it came from the poison it took in 1814 or if he was killed by Hudson Lowe.
I like the idea of the English to poison him :-)

Sylvain

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

Definitely the English!!

JC

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

Today is the 200th anniversary of Napoleon’s death with a very minimal celebration in France.
Vive l’Empereur!!!

Me too, Sylvain.  I wouldn't put it past the Inglais to do it to prevent a Napoleonic reunion tour of Europe.  But I also agree that the Emperor was not the same as at his peak in the first decade of the 19th century.

Tragically, his son, the Prince of Rome, died very young; I can't recall, but maybe TB. I read about him in a biography of Franz Josef.  Recall that Napoleon's second wife was a Habsburg princess.  One of Napoleon's brothers ended up in America and married an American woman.

From: "Sylvain Durand via groups.io" <Sylvainnc@...>
Date: 5/5/21 8:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io