Topics

sticky Projects during the apocalypse

Bob

It appears that we all will be staying home for a while. So in the meantime you can all report on any gaming projects you’re working on while you’re locked in.

Now that I have Snappy Nappy pretty well dialed in I can putter with other things.

I just bought some Napoleonic Poles from Tom and will be rebasing them to match the rest of my Naps.

And I have a bit of resin left so I’ll probably use it up casting some more scatter terrain pieces.

Anyone else working on anything hobby related while you’re home?

I am nearly done with my 28mm medieval Spanish for El Cid. This is my main project.

Then I will paint my 28mm AWI armies. I plan to have the Guilford courthouse game ready.
I will be using regimental fire and fury for AWI

Sylvain

On Mar 23, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

It appears that we all will be staying home for a while. So in the meantime you can all report on any gaming projects you’re working on while you’re locked in.

Now that I have Snappy Nappy pretty well dialed in I can putter with other things.

I just bought some Napoleonic Poles from Tom and will be rebasing them to match the rest of my Naps.

And I have a bit of resin left so I’ll probably use it up casting some more scatter terrain pieces.

Anyone else working on anything hobby related while you’re home?

Bob

I'm basing another brigade of Austrian 28mm for Napoleonics.   I also want to finish off the Angolan/Russian side of my miniatures for Angola versus South Africa in 1/285 for Cold War Commander.

From: Bob <brodgers@...>
Date: 3/23/20 19:02 (GMT-07:00)
To: The Table Top Gaming Society <The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io>
Subject: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] Projects during the apocalypse

It appears that we all will be staying home for a while.  So in the meantime you can all report on any gaming projects you’re working on while you’re locked in.

Now that I have Snappy Nappy pretty well dialed in I can putter with other things.

I just bought some Napoleonic Poles from Tom and will be rebasing them to match the rest of my Naps.

And I have a bit of resin left so I’ll probably use it up casting some more scatter terrain pieces.

Anyone else working on anything hobby related while you’re home?

Bob

El Rolando

I have painted about 50 GHQ 1/285 tanks in the last couple of weeks. 1980's Soviets, T64's and T72's.

Ordering some T80's from GHQ this week and then going halvsies on shipping with a work buddy to buy Heroics and Ros Soviet infantry, AFV's, SAM's, AAA,  bridgelayers, choppers, jets, and artillery.

I was going to be playing Fire in the East but had to convert the man cave into a home office so I dont have the space for it until I go back to work.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 19:12 Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bob
I am nearly done with my 28mm medieval Spanish for El Cid. This is my main project.

Then I will paint my 28mm AWI armies. I plan to have the Guilford courthouse game ready.
I will be using regimental fire and fury for AWI

Sylvain

> On Mar 23, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:
>
> It appears that we all will be staying home for a while.  So in the meantime you can all report on any gaming projects you’re working on while you’re locked in.
>
> Now that I have Snappy Nappy pretty well dialed in I can putter with other things.
>
> I just bought some Napoleonic Poles from Tom and will be rebasing them to match the rest of my Naps.
>
> And I have a bit of resin left so I’ll probably use it up casting some more scatter terrain pieces.
>
> Anyone else working on anything hobby related while you’re home?
>
> Bob

Most excellent...I have a bunch of 1/285 US M60s, M1s, 113s, Bradley's and support vehicles.

From: El Rolando <rollandlahaie@...>
Date: 3/23/20 19:24 (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

I have painted about 50 GHQ 1/285 tanks in the last couple of weeks. 1980's Soviets, T64's and T72's.

Ordering some T80's from GHQ this week and then going halvsies on shipping with a work buddy to buy Heroics and Ros Soviet infantry, AFV's, SAM's, AAA,  bridgelayers, choppers, jets, and artillery.

I was going to be playing Fire in the East but had to convert the man cave into a home office so I dont have the space for it until I go back to work.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 19:12 Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bob
I am nearly done with my 28mm medieval Spanish for El Cid. This is my main project.

Then I will paint my 28mm AWI armies. I plan to have the Guilford courthouse game ready.
I will be using regimental fire and fury for AWI

Sylvain

> On Mar 23, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:
>
> It appears that we all will be staying home for a while.  So in the meantime you can all report on any gaming projects you’re working on while you’re locked in.
>
> Now that I have Snappy Nappy pretty well dialed in I can putter with other things.
>
> I just bought some Napoleonic Poles from Tom and will be rebasing them to match the rest of my Naps.
>
> And I have a bit of resin left so I’ll probably use it up casting some more scatter terrain pieces.
>
> Anyone else working on anything hobby related while you’re home?
>
> Bob

El Rolando

We should try and run something! I ran the first battle in Team Yankee (Captain Bannon's delaying action) at my house for my brother and a co worker two weeks ago using a Fistful of TOWs 3

Ia Cold War commander Blitzkrieg Commander for moderns?
Also kudos for gaming the South African Border War, I've always wanted to get into that a little bit.

I haven't played fistful of tows yet, but I've heard it's pretty good.  And, you're right, cold war commander is the modern version of Blitzkrieg commander.

The South African Bush wars against Angola back in the seventies and eighties are pretty interesting period from a gaming standpoint. The South Africans had some unique armored vehicles they used to fight against Russian vehicles from the fifties and sixties.

From: El Rolando <rollandlahaie@...>
Date: 3/23/20 19:35 (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

We should try and run something! I ran the first battle in Team Yankee (Captain Bannon's delaying action) at my house for my brother and a co worker two weeks ago using a Fistful of TOWs 3

Ia Cold War commander Blitzkrieg Commander for moderns?
Also kudos for gaming the South African Border War, I've always wanted to get into that a little bit.

El Rolando

Wheeled tanks and mine resistant troop carriers!

We joked a lot when we got our strykers and Mraps that the Boers had figured out counter insurgency before we did.

From: El Rolando <rollandlahaie@...>
Date: 3/23/20 19:35 (GMT-07:00)

We should try and run something! I ran the first battle in Team Yankee (Captain Bannon's delaying action) at my house for my brother and a co worker two weeks ago using a Fistful of TOWs 3

Ia Cold War commander Blitzkrieg Commander for moderns?
Also kudos for gaming the South African Border War, I've always wanted to get into that a little bit.

Mike Dolan

Hello All,

I have been working on my own tree collection as I had none previously. I also have a battalion of French and one of Austrians on the bench. I have started  to play Tabletop Simulator Commands and Colors Nappy with my friend in Pittsburgh. I have worked out the bugs and this game is pretty easy, with a very small learning curve. If anyone has TTS on Steam and would like to join a game or just play please let me know. You can scale this up for multiplayers as well. There are many small scenarios as well as some Epic battles for multiple players, ie  Austerlitz.so let me know.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:02 PM Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:
It appears that we all will be staying home for a while.  So in the meantime you can all report on any gaming projects you’re working on while you’re locked in.

Now that I have Snappy Nappy pretty well dialed in I can putter with other things.

I just bought some Napoleonic Poles from Tom and will be rebasing them to match the rest of my Naps.

And I have a bit of resin left so I’ll probably use it up casting some more scatter terrain pieces.

Anyone else working on anything hobby related while you’re home?

Mike Dolan

Michael M

Still painting late 17th century figures.  The Imperial Army is complete except for washing and sealing.  I'm now working on the Savoyards.  I still have France, Spain and the Ottomans to do.

From: Mike Dolan <dolanz999@...>
Date: 3/24/20 7:27 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

[...]

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Bob

El Rolando

I've long been looking for an excuse to pick up those rules!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, 15:53 Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Bob

Dan H

I have been practice Bataille Empire mechanisms and I really like the game. You have a lot of good Napoleonic effects.

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Edited

Rolland
Get the 3rd edition.

It’s the blue hard cover “Deluxe Edition “.

Bob

Edited

Dan
Played ESR with the author at Historicon.
Hated it.
I thought it might be good when I was reading through it but the actual game was awful.

On Mar 25, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

I have been practice Bataille Empire mechanisms and I really like the game. You have a lot of good Napoleonic effects.

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Bob

Dan H

The author was not at Historicon.

It also wasn’t out then.

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Bob

Dan H

Ah.

Well we agree ESR is a strange fish, but not the one I referred to.

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Ah!
Oops

Yes, I’d like to have a go at Bataille Empire also.  I’m getting old.

On Mar 25, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

Ah.

Well we agree ESR is a strange fish, but not the one I referred to.

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Bob

El Rolando

Edited

I played around with ESR a little bit, and found it feels more like an operational level game. The 900 yard max range on artillery is a little silly. Battles like Möckern in the 1813 campaign guide play real well, where there's A LOT of room for maneuver. Battles where the armies are already deployed like Borodino or Shewardino in the 1813 guide are slow as hell, and rawther dull.

If you like Zucker's OSG games, ESR is a similar fit.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, 16:27 Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:
Ah!
Oops

Yes, I’d like to have a go at Bataille Empire also.  I’m getting old.

On Mar 25, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

Ah.

Well we agree ESR is a strange fish, but not the one I referred to.

Today I removed 100 Polish infantry, 32 Polish cavalry, 3 guns with crews, and 11 Polish and French Leaders from their bases and then rebased them all to match my existing troops. I also had to touch up some paint and repair some lances.

Now I’m waiting for the glue and paint to dry.
I’ll flock the bases tomorrow.

I've also been reading through the “General de Brigade” rules. I like them. They seem to be easy to learn and they appear to have most of the Napoleonic “feel” that I like.  And my basing works fine !

Bob

Don L

I have the rules, have played them and like them. I just finished 1/Czartoryski (48 28mm) for 1805/09 and three squads of the 14th Chevaux Legere. For no clear reason other than I bought them a while back, I’ve started on Polish winged hussars. Also have MacKay’s Scots for TYW and Prussians for WSS under way. Time weighs but we have enough wine to get through.