Historicon 2021 Update

Bob

Begin forwarded message:

From: director@...
Date: February 23, 2021 at 5:32:55 PM MST
Subject: Historicon 2021 Planning Update

I wanted to provide a brief summary of the current situation and where we are…
View in browser
Hcon 2021 Header
Historicon Planning Update

I hope this email finds you well. I’m sure everyone is following the COVID-19 situation in the USA and perhaps wondering how it’s affecting the planning for Historicon. All of us are itching to get back together, but of course we still have the pandemic to deal with. It seems every news cycle brings new information for us to consider. With this in mind, I wanted to provide a brief summary of the current situation and where we are …

I spoke last week with management of the Lancaster County Convention Center (“LCCC”). First, there’s some bad news. Current Pennsylvania restrictions would prevent us from running the show. Indoor events are still limited in size, social distancing is still in force (making space an issue), and going to Pennsylvania requires a negative COVID-19 test just before travel or a 14-day quarantine upon entering the state.  Better news might be coming; the LCCC staff is optimistic that some or all of these restrictions may be lifted by July but can’t guarantee it.

On the vaccination front, as I write, reports indicate that approximately 12% of Americans are vaccinated and that vaccine availability and distributions will be ramped up considerably by July.  However, there are no guarantees that we’ll be sufficiently vaccinated by July or that cases will be sufficiently reduced to ensure a reasonably safe event. This information changes on an almost daily basis, so we will continue to monitor the situation from multiple sources.

So, at this time, we have not cancelled Historicon. We still have sufficient time to put on a great show even if planning doesn’t start in earnest for a few more weeks. Submissions for events and signup for exhibitors were scheduled to start next week. To save everyone a lot of effort in case we have to cancel, we’re pushing those dates out one month to March 24. This will still leave our staff ample time to prepare for the show if we’re able to proceed, although some other dates currently on the website will likely change.

We remain hopeful that the situation resolves in our favor and we can hold Historicon, but we need to stress that the safety of all of our attendees is our most important consideration. We will continue to update you as new information is received.

If you have any questions, please contact me at director@....

Best Regards,

Joby Miller
Historicon 2021 Convention Director

Sincerely,

Joby Miller
Historicon Convention Director
director@...

brodgers.cell@... received this email from the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society, Inc. because you subscribed on our website, or attended one of our conventions.
Visit http://www.hmgs.org/members/EmailOptPreferences.aspx?id=54337145&e=brodgers.cell@...&h=c1ff7689abd73594760a063b2cefb1a5203b6d03 to change your email preferences.

Those are bad news. I will pass on it :-(
I will try next year

Sylvain

Begin forwarded message:

From: director@...
Date: February 23, 2021 at 5:32:55 PM MST

[...]

It’s not definitely off.
But it’s not looking good.

Bob

From: director@...
Date: February 23, 2021 at 5:32:55 PM MST

[...]

Here’s the latest Historicon news.
Historicon is being “postponed” to November and may be held in Valley Forge instead of Lancaster. HMGS is basically changing the Fall In convention’s name this year to Historicon. Read their announcement below:

Begin forwarded message:

From: HMGS President <president@...>
Date: March 24, 2021 at 7:26:45 AM MST
Subject: Historicon 2021 Update

View in browser
HMGS Logo
Historicon 2021 Update

Members/Guests/Exhibitors,

As you know, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced HMGS to cancel a year's worth of conventions. Last year, the pandemic restrictions and the cut back in operations at the Lancaster County Convention Center and attached Marriott hotel resulted in the cancellation of Historicon 2020. This was the first time in our history that we were forced to cancel a convention. At the time, everyone understood the gravity of the pandemic and the reasoning behind our decision.

As I previously communicated, the health and safety of our attendees will always come first. Many of our attendees are in high risk categories; elderly, with underlying health problems. This is not something to take lightly.

Now it is one year later, and the current restrictions in Pennsylvania and at the facility once again make it impossible for us to hold Historicon in July 2021. We had extensive - and sometimes exhausting - conversations with the venue to make this work. The main attractions at our conventions are the games, the exhibit hall, and socializing with friends. At the current venue capacity restriction of only 25%, combined with the social distancing requirement of only 3 players per game and significant inter-table space, our games and exhibit hall just don’t work. It makes it impossible for us to hold the type of show that we want; and if we went ahead we run the risk of a significant financial impact due to low attendance.

At the urging of the venue, we delayed our decision as long as possible in the hope for more clarity on when restrictions would be lifted. While we recognize many statistics are trending in a positive direction, we cannot continue to put off this decision any longer. Many people need to start planning now for any potential July convention - exhibitors need to place product orders; attendees need to make travel arrangements and vacation requests from work, etc.

The current environment makes it impossible to run a successful show in July, and further, it could hurt our finances, reputation and future shows as well. Other options, such as a much smaller show, were considered and also deemed not feasible for the cost and effort involved.

The Board wants HMGS' first post-COVID to be something special. Therefore, instead of cancelling Historicon 2021 outright, we are moving it to early November and holding it at Valley Forge in place of Fall-In! We will be adding an extra day to make it the same 4 day convention as would have been held in July. Since Historicon is considered our flagship convention, and we are only holding one convention in 2021 instead of three, we felt it should be Historicon.

We are also well aware of questions regarding membership renewals and possible extensions or credits. For those who already renewed their membership in such a trying year, your support is greatly appreciated and will not be forgotten. All the options discussed so far require us to have some certainty on when our conventions will be restarted. With November looking highly likely to be our first post-COVID convention, details regarding these issues will be addressed very shortly.

Best regards,

John Spiess
President, HMGS Inc.
president@...

On behalf of HMGS, Inc. Board of Directors and Historicon Convention Staff

brodgers.cell@... received this email from the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society, Inc. because you subscribed on our website, or attended one of our conventions.
Visit http://www.hmgs.org/members/EmailOptPreferences.aspx?id=54337145&e=brodgers.cell@...&h=c1ff7689abd73594760a063b2cefb1a5203b6d03 to change your email preferences.

Dan H

Ug.  I’d gotten my hopes up.

From: HMGS President <president@...>
Date: March 24, 2021 at 7:26:45 AM MST

[...]

Don L

The SYW Convention in Southbend is still om—at least for now. Aug. 5th thru 7th

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: HMGS President <president@...>
Date: March 24, 2021 at 7:26:45 AM MST

[...]

If you put together a group trip, like we tried last year, I'm in.

From: Bob <brodgers.cell@...>
Date: 3/24/21 07:39 (GMT-07:00)
To: The Table Top Gaming Society <The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io>

From: HMGS President <president@...>
Date: March 24, 2021 at 7:26:45 AM MST

[...]

You’ll have to wear your shirt.

From: Bob <brodgers.cell@...>
Date: 3/24/21 07:39 (GMT-07:00)
To: The Table Top Gaming Society <The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io>

From: HMGS President <president@...>
Date: March 24, 2021 at 7:26:45 AM MST

[...]

Michael M

I could be up for that as well.  I love that period.

From: Ray Levesque <raylev3@...>
Date: 3/24/21 10:52 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

If you put together a group trip, like we tried last year, I'm in.

From: Bob <brodgers.cell@...>
Date: 3/24/21 07:39 (GMT-07:00)
To: The Table Top Gaming Society <The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io>