Topics

Hello there!

Aslan

Hello!
I'm new in town so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Aslan, and I've been wanting to join a group for some time. I've been collecting and painting for two years, but I haven't had a ton of people to play with where I'm from, so when I moved to Phoenix I thought it would be a great opportunity to find a group and start to play and get to know people. I reached out to Bob, and he let me know that I should introduce myself on here, so here I am!

I'm 18, so rather young, and I'm still very much learning about the world of historical minis and wargaming. This is the first time I've ever really reached out to other wargamers and mini collectors, so I'm very excited. So far I only have troops in 28mm. I love anything black powder currently have armies for British and French Napoleonic, and well as American and British AWI. I also recently got the Bolt Action starter pack kit from Warlord, and have been enjoying putting those sprues together. I'm looking forward to expanding into new time periods soon! I'm still very new to the hobby, and any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I'm also a pretty big D&D fan or any roleplaying system, so if anyone is looking for another player or DM, please reach out.
When I'm not working on minis I study Journalism and Criminology at ASU.

Hopefully, I'll be coming to an event soon, I'm shooting for Sylvain's AWI rule test on the 16th. I'm out of town until the 5th visiting family for the holidays, but I cant wait to get back and come to an event.

Thank you all, hope to be playing with you soon.
Cheers!
Aslan

Sylvain Durand

Aslan
Welcome to TTGS. This is one of the best gaming groups I joined. I hope to see you on the 16th. You will enjoy playing AWI
Have a great holiday break

Sylvain

On Dec 29, 2020, at 12:04 PM, Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:

[...]

JC

Hi Aslan,

Welcome to the group.   I and a couple of others are currently staying away from the meetings because of COVID, but later in 2021 I am sure we will meet up.

Wargamers are a bit mixed in terms of personalities, like any group, but the key question after a game is "Did you have fun??"

There are 3 elements to historical miniature gaming - (1) the toy soldier effect which we often have a love for from our childhood - this is where the collecting, assembling and painting come in, (2) the history - which is why people often buy military history books or go on the web, to flesh out their understanding of a particular battle or campaign, and (3) the competitive side where you want to win the particular game/scenario.   For most people it is a mix of all three.

Do come and play for a few meetings.   You need to see different games with different rules to get a real appreciation of the hobby before deciding if it is for you.

You can ask any question you have here;.  Someone will know the answer.

John Curran

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 12:04:19 PM MST, Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:

[...]

Like John, I have been forced to stay away from the meetings due to the fact that my wife is in a high risk category.  I'm hoping to get back into it soon, because it is a very enjoyable group and I enjoy the games we put on the table.  In the meantime, I have been putting the time to good use painting up some new armies with which to game.  My current projects are 15mm Louis XIV era (late 17th century) and 28mm French to add to my AWI collection.

When I joined the group, I introduced it to the "Black Powder" first edition rules although we later began gaming with the second edition rules.  I put on an AWI scenario and a couple of War of 1812 scenarios using those rules.  I also hosted a hypothetical battle between the U.S. and Spain in the mid-1790s using the "Mad Anthony Wayne" figures from Old Glory and a period Spanish Army I had painted using figures from a number of different sources.  So I definitely share your interest in the horse and musket/black powder games.

We have the benefit of a wide variety of interests, so you will have the opportunity to do everything from Ancients to Modern.  This group has a number of historical periods covered.  Sylvain puts on a good game (with some very nicely painted figures), so his game on the 16th will be a nice introduction to our games.

I hope - COVID willing - to see you and the rest of the group soon.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 02:38 PM, JC via groups.io <curranjohng@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

John, thank you for the advice! I am definitely looking forward to playing for a few meetings and getting to see the other aspects of miniature gaming.
I have definitely felt the toy soldier effect as well as the history aspect. I've been burning through books related to the AWI and Napoleonic campaigns.

Michael, I have been thoroughly enjoying the 2nd edition of black powder. Have you ever played "Sharp Practice?" I've been using it to play small skirmishes with the family over the holidays and have found it quite fun.

Thank you all,
I hope to meet in 2021,

Cheers,
Aslan

Sylvain Durand

Aslan,

Another good source to learn is YouTube
I usually put YouTube in the background when I paint. They have some very good documentaries about the AWI and the civil war. They usually come from the history channel before they started specializing in the aliens building pyramids.
I have not listened any napoleonic videos as I have studied them extensively in my youth.

Let me know if you want me to send you some links.

Sylvain

On Dec 29, 2020, at 4:46 PM, Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: I realized I could just respond to all of you in one message instead of 3 unnecessary messages.]

John, thank you for the advice! I am definitely looking forward to playing for a few meetings and getting to see the other aspects of miniature gaming.
I have definitely felt the toy soldier effect as well as the history aspect. I've been burning through books related to the AWI and Napoleonic campaigns.

Michael, I have been thoroughly enjoying the 2nd edition of black powder. Have you ever played "Sharp Practice?" I've been using it to play small skirmishes with the family over the holidays and have found it quite fun.

Thank you all,
I hope to meet in 2021,

Cheers,
Aslan

Michael M

I have not played "Sharp Practice" but have heard about it.  I'm game to give it a try.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 04:46 PM, Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely always have something on as I assemble and paint. I'm currently listening to a fantastic audiobook of a fantastic book called "1776" by David McCullough. It's incredibly well researched and detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven't read it already.

I would love some links to videos, I am always looking for new stuff to watch.
Thank you!

Aslan

Kochese (Larry)

Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by W.J. Wood. Must have for AWI period gaming.

Larry

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:
Sylvain,

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely always have something on as I assemble and paint. I'm currently listening to a fantastic audiobook of a fantastic book called "1776" by David McCullough. It's incredibly well researched and detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven't read it already.

I would love some links to videos, I am always looking for new stuff to watch.
Thank you!

Aslan

Kochese (Larry)

Also check out a movie called Revolution circa 1985 with Al Pacino and Donald Sutherland

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:59 AM kochese <kochese@...> wrote:
Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by W.J. Wood. Must have for AWI period gaming.

Larry

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:
Sylvain,

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely always have something on as I assemble and paint. I'm currently listening to a fantastic audiobook of a fantastic book called "1776" by David McCullough. It's incredibly well researched and detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven't read it already.

I would love some links to videos, I am always looking for new stuff to watch.
Thank you!

Aslan

Sylvain Durand

Aslan
This is the one that is the best

The American Revolutionary war - part 1 of 2(Documentary)

The American Revolutionary war - part 2 of 2 (Documentary)

Hope to see you in 10 days

Sylvain

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 10:50:08 AM MST, Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:

Sylvain,

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely always have something on as I assemble and paint. I'm currently listening to a fantastic audiobook of a fantastic book called "1776" by David McCullough. It's incredibly well researched and detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven't read it already.

I would love some links to videos, I am always looking for new stuff to watch.
Thank you!

Aslan

Michael M

Totally agree with Larry on this book.  I have it and it is a wonderful resource for AWI battles.

I am finishing up my 28mm French for this period.

From: "Kochese (Larry)" <kochese@...>
Date: 1/5/21 10:59 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: Re: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] Hello there!

Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by W.J. Wood. Must have for AWI period gaming.

Larry

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:
Sylvain,

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely always have something on as I assemble and paint. I'm currently listening to a fantastic audiobook of a fantastic book called "1776" by David McCullough. It's incredibly well researched and detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven't read it already.

I would love some links to videos, I am always looking for new stuff to watch.
Thank you!

Aslan

Sylvain Durand

Michael and Larry
I just ordered it :-)

Sylvain

From: "Kochese (Larry)" <kochese@...>
Date: 1/5/21 10:59 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io

Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by W.J. Wood. Must have for AWI period gaming.

Larry

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:
Sylvain,

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely always have something on as I assemble and paint. I'm currently listening to a fantastic audiobook of a fantastic book called "1776" by David McCullough. It's incredibly well researched and detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven't read it already.

I would love some links to videos, I am always looking for new stuff to watch.
Thank you!

Aslan

Aslan

Larry,
Thank you for the book suggestion. Like Sylvain, I have just ordered it and am looking forward to reading it.
I have watched Revolution! I think it's a shame there aren't many more big-budget AWI films. As fun as the Patriot is, there is room for so much more!

Sylvain,
Thank you for the video links. I was quite surprised to have found that I have watched them already! I'll be re-watching them however because they are quite well produced.
My favorite AWI documentary is from 1995, narrated by Charles Kuralt simply called "The Revolutionary War." It was shown on the military channel along with other such classics as "World War 2 In Colour"

I'll definitely be there on the 16th, and am looking forward to it. I am assuming the miniatures are supplied in this case, but I figured ill check just in case I have to speed out a batch.

Cheers,
Aslan

Sylvain Durand

Aslan
We have a game tomorrow on the 9th if you are interested. It is revolution war too. Same battle.
Miniatures are always supplied except for the October tournament.
Hope you can make it tomorrow. Otherwise see you tomorrow.
Thanks for the documentary. I will check it out.

Sylvain