Topics

Game Day: Rebels and Patriots AWI - Rules Changes

Sylvain Durand

Team,
Bob and I exchanged emails and we will change the rules for the Rebels and Patriots AWI with the following:
  1. Non Skirmishers need to be in one of the 3 formations: Close Order, Open Order (in Line but a stand between them) and in Column (they only get half of the dice for shooting)
  2. Flank shots on a Unit in Close Order is +1 to Dice Roll
  3. Guns can Limber/Unlimber: Movement of 8" and limber/unlimber cost 4". Limbered guns don't get the special rules for Artillery in the Open
  4. Light troops and Skirmishers will get a +1 in skirmish formation and cumulate them with Cover.
  5. For activation I will follow Tom Fraser suggestion 1-1 = 1 Unit receive 1 Disorder, 6-6 remove 1 disorder within 6" of any part of the unit (including the unit)
  6. Shooting is always in the front of the unit except for Skirmishers

I am working on special dice rules for Ed :-) Luck was clearly away from him

Sylvain

Tom Opalka

I meant to respond to this earlier in the week, but time got away from me.  Here's just a couple of comments based on my "extensive" 1 - game experience with these rules :-)

For # 3 - I agree with having a limbered move for artillery & the unlimber cost looks good as does the guns not getting the special rules when limbered.  My understanding of artillery movement during this period though was that much of it was done by non-combatant/civilian teamsters, and once the guns were unlimbered they would withdraw from the field until after the battle.  I suggest that guns can start limbered, but once unlimbered and shots are fired they have to resort to prolonging by the crews at the standard rate given.

For # 5 - Just to add a little variety without being too over the top, for 1-1 roll 1d6 and on a 1-2 fall back 1/2 move, on a 3-5 the unit receives 1 Disorder, and on a 6 the unit falls back 1/2 move & receives 1 disorder.  For a 6 - 6, remove 1 disorder from any unit (inclusive) within 6" of the unit activating OR the next activation automatically passes if there are no disorders to remove (could also be limited to within 6" of the unit).

Just my 2 cents...

Playing this game got me looking at Pikeman's Lament...might need to tinker with it...

Tom O