Desert Wars Convention

Bob

I had a long conversation with Dana Hohn, the president of HMGS-PSW about Desert Wars, the convention they are running in March.

I told him about our concerns re: con organization (or lack thereof), advertising (or lack thereof), etc.

I said TTGS wants to help make the con a success. He’s going to be sending me some window flyers and other “stuff” so that we can start getting the word out. I’m hoping that most of you guys will help with convincing the shops to post these flyers and maybe sign up as vendors,  and that you’re also willing to participate in the con as either GM’s, or players, or both, when the time comes.

He told me that they have been talking to North Valley Games at 10210 N 32nd St and that they have done a Bolt Action tournament there recently. Any of you guys that live up that way could pop in and talk to the owner to get his impressions.
I’ve never been to that shop.

As things progress I’ll continue to pass along information.

Bob

David Letizia

I will be playing some bolt action up at North Valley Games so can talk to them.  Also Athoria Games in Mesa.  Then there is Baxter’s and GamesU

On Jun 16, 2021, at 7:46 AM, Bob <brodgers.cell@...> wrote:

[...]

Send me stuff....there's a game shop here in town that would probably allow us to post stuff/advertise!

Ray

[...]

Imperial Outpost in the west valley will be willing to carry flyers I am sure.

Any insight from your conversation Bob, as to how the organization is going?   They have a deposit down at the Mesa Convention Center, correct?   Are HMGS-PSW going to finance the convention, i.e. pay the full cost?   Any insight into the local organizers activities?

JC

On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 07:46:03 AM MST, Bob <brodgers.cell@...> wrote:

[...]

I will pass along whatever I get. When/if I get it.

There has been no organizational activity other than the one Bolt Action tournament.

My discussion with them revolved around them getting on the ball and to start getting the word out.

He said that the con director wasn’t planning to start working on it until around November. I urged that it start sooner.    That’s why he said he would send me the flyers. Which aren’t made yet.
We’ll see.

So, as of right now the only thing they’ve done is put a deposit down on the convention center and run a tournament in North Phoenix.

There’s no website and no registration system yet.

Yes, they intend to cover the costs of the con. It’s their convention.

On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:29 PM, JC via groups.io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

[...]

As you know I am something of a skeptic on this, but am clearly willing to help out.

Will wait for your guidance on best approach / interaction with AZ HMGS..................

JC

On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 09:25:02 PM MST, Bob <brodgers.cell@...> wrote:

[...]

Edited

Guys, attached is a flyer for Desert Wars that I just received.

If you are able to print out a couple and convince some shops close to you to put them in their windows it would be awesome.

Also, I have a bunch of club business cards here that you can grab and pass out to folks.

I’ll also post this flyer in the Files section.

Bob

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Hohn
Date: June 21, 2021 at 11:54:40 AM MST
Subject: Desert War Flyer

Hi AZ Friends:

We have an initial flyer that is attached to this email.  Please distribute it to all of the Game Stores in your area.

Updated versions will follow, so If we need to make any changes, please let me know.

Thank you all
Dana Hohn
President
HMGS-PSW

Michael Farley

I passed the flyer on the John Best the owner of Alpha Fortress Games in Chino Valley. Ill let you know what he thinks.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Dana Hohn
Date: June 21, 2021 at 11:54:40 AM MST

Hi AZ Friends:

We have an initial flyer that is attached to this email.  Please distribute it to all of the Game Stores in your area.

Updated versions will follow, so If we need to make any changes, please let me know.

Thank you all

Dana Hohn

President

HMGS-PSW

Sylvain Durand

Michael
The only store have been in this area is
Game On
3250 Gateway Blvd #428, Prescott, AZ 86303

How do they compare?
Should we give the owner a flyer?

Sylvain

From: Dana Hohn
Date: June 21, 2021 at 11:54:40 AM MST

Hi AZ Friends:

We have an initial flyer that is attached to this email.  Please distribute it to all of the Game Stores in your area.

Updated versions will follow, so If we need to make any changes, please let me know.

Thank you all

Dana Hohn

President

HMGS-PSW

Bob

Give a flyer to any shop that will post it up.

This is going to be the only historical miniature convention in AZ.

From: Dana Hohn
Date: June 21, 2021 at 11:54:40 AM MST

Hi AZ Friends:

We have an initial flyer that is attached to this email.  Please distribute it to all of the Game Stores in your area.

Updated versions will follow, so If we need to make any changes, please let me know.

Thank you all

Dana Hohn

President

HMGS-PSW

Harmon Ward

Bob et al,
Please send me the Contact Name, the address and telephone number of every shop you contact. We would like to follow up with them a few times before the convention. When we do this again in 2023, the list will be very useful.

Best Regards,
Harmon Ward, HMGS-PSW Convention Manager
714-414-2749
harmonward3@...

From: Dana Hohn
Date: June 21, 2021 at 11:54:40 AM MST

Hi AZ Friends:

We have an initial flyer that is attached to this email.  Please distribute it to all of the Game Stores in your area.

Updated versions will follow, so If we need to make any changes, please let me know.

Thank you all

Dana Hohn

President

HMGS-PSW

Dan H

Harmon,

Have you contacted the HMGS-East chapter and asked for their emails of people in AZ, NV, NM? Do you plan to circulate announcements to magazines and other outlets?

From: Dana Hohn
Date: June 21, 2021 at 11:54:40 AM MST

Hi AZ Friends:

We have an initial flyer that is attached to this email.  Please distribute it to all of the Game Stores in your area.

Updated versions will follow, so If we need to make any changes, please let me know.

Thank you all

Dana Hohn

President

HMGS-PSW

Harmon Ward

Dan,
We have already contacted the Society of Ancients Slingshot and Wargames Illustrated. We are working on many more. I was not aware that HMGS INC. would share their email list. Thanks for the tip. I am a member and will contact them.

Best Regards,
Harmon