Topics

Dan's 1809 Campaign

Dan H

Every once in awhile I run a double blind Napoleonic campaign. It is based on a French rule set called Vol D’Aigle. (Flight or the Eagle)

The game requires no rules knowledge on the players part.  Essentially each player plays the role of the Army HQ. Sending orders out and receiving orders back.  You only know what reports come back. Battles and skirmishes can be umpire adjudicated or can be converted into whatever battle rules you like.  Turns out a lot of Umpire work.

The Napoleonic era was one where the troops really did what they were told. Initiative was really very localized or how aggressive an order was carried out. Even Marshal’s of France did not set out on their own paths.

So each “turn” starts off as a day. Because the orders go out and then at the end of the day if nothing happens the reports come in. If action occurs and there is time to respond then the HQ gets to send orders in mid-day. But orders have to travel so will they even arrive in time?

So I have been planning to shake out the game and run it in these times. As interim, I propose sharing a past game here. Meaning I have the records of the campaign I ran a few years ago. Each day or so I would post in separate emails what each side ordered and their reports. So you could watch it unfold…slowly over time.  You could choose by what email you open to watch only one side or peak at the other side. Sort of like watching the real thing just time shifted.

Downside it would create email traffic that some may thing clutter everything.

Upside it is chatter, and prep for some who may want to play it in the future.

Should I do this?

Bob

You can put me on the email list.
Sounds like it will be very interesting.

Bob

On Apr 4, 2020, at 11:51 AM, Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

[...]

El Rolando

Dan,

I would follow this with great interest!

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, 13:03 Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm up for this...big time!

From: Dan H <danh@...>
Date: 4/4/20 11:51 (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] Cure for the bored?

[...]

John C

Go for it Dan, should be fun.

JC

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 11:51:47 AM MST, Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

[...]

I'll give it a shot. Will I have to wear the club shirt?

Larry

Michael Farley

Hey lurker on the Hill here, that guy in Prescott Valley. Attend a game some years back. Anyway any of you all ever try that on line game assistant Zun Tsu? Its really intuitive, but you do have to have the rules and know how to play the game. Just lets you move counters around and roll dice (a cool graphic, and you don’t have to worry about the dice knocking the counters around).  A bunch of “game box’s” available also.

https://www.zuntzu.com/

http://limeyyankgames.co.uk/zuntzu

Just FYI in these crazy pandemic panic times.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ed

I was actually  thinking of starting a virtual campaign of the Punic wars but I think the group is more in to Naps than ancients so count me in.

Ed

PS: i will wear the club shirt.  I wear it every day anyway... ;0

On 4/4/2020 11:51 AM, Dan H wrote:

[...]

Kochese (Larry)

Really... everyday..Eeewwww.:)

Seth Tipps

This sounds fascinating. If the umpire has all the rules, I might grab a copy and digitize them for you to save on book keeping - assuming that's something you think would work with the system. I've been looking for a side programming project and a campaign tracker sounds like a decent idea.

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, 5:59 PM Kochese (Larry) <kochese@...> wrote:
Really... everyday..Eeewwww.:)

Robert Goldsmith

I would like to participate in this. Keep in mind that I am not in Arizona so I would need a proxy if battles need to be fought face-to-face.

Robert

--
Robert F. Goldsmith, Ph.D.
404 Sunderland Drive

407-617-7599

Dan H

Background a rules.

The advantage of this campaign is a few: fog of war; short time frame dispenses with lots of problems; rules knowledge of players very little needed.

Each player is issue the PDF of the Full Map. I created 3 close up sections so they could plot more details. But this will suffice. You can zoom in, which sometimes matters. You will see a scale there. For measuring distancing and calculating times.

Both players were given the Historical OBs in game terms. See attached Excel. Both sides had reasonable knowledge of what was in theater and of course could always open a history book. These are starting formations, players can detach however they see fit and I will pull it as historical as I can and just create new formations. The designations in the left column will show up on the map. You see the attrition rate. For simplicity players would see each formations attrition. In effect they get daily muster reports for their forces. The do not get reports for their opponent.

A one pager of general rule summary.

And how to set up. The Austrians are given wide latitude in planning their attack.

This may seem loose, but it will unfold pretty clearly.

Dan H

Pardon this is a bit rougher than planned

This is the Austrian players starting deployment and opening moves. You can see the spell checker is ravaging his orders and he is a no frills order writer. I realized it was easier to redact the documents I had left preserved in PDF form, rather than pretty them up.

Attached:

1 Austrian play orders that they sent in.

They got back

2 Map-Austrian Evening April 16.

3 Roster- Excel sheet showing losses and attrition.  Units that fight suffer attrition on top of the marching. And losing cost more attrition.

4 The reports from scouts and commands.

Dan H

This is the French players starting deployment and opening moves. You can see he is enjoying the spirit of the order writing. He is also trying to make sure each “local commander” know the general plan and can act accordingly.

Attached:

1 French player orders that they sent in.

They got back

2 Map-French Evening April 16.

3 Roster- Excel sheet showing losses and attrition.  Units that fight suffer attrition on top of the marching. And losing cost more attrition.

4 The reports from scouts and commands.

SO if you cheat and look at both maps side by side you can see the FOG of War.

Bob

Were the scouts who failed to report late due to distance, or were they lost for some reason?

Were the scouting reports first sent to the Corp commanders by you?
Is the scouting report we just read what the corp commanders sent up the chain?
Or were they generated by you?

Bob

On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:59 PM, Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

This is the French players starting deployment and opening moves. You can see he is enjoying the spirit of the order writing. He is also trying to make sure each “local commander” know the general plan and can act accordingly.

Attached:
1 French player orders that they sent in.

They got back
2 Map-French Evening April 16.
3 Roster- Excel sheet showing losses and attrition.  Units that fight suffer attrition on top of the marching. And losing cost more attrition.
4 The reports from scouts and commands.

SO if you cheat and look at both maps side by side you can see the FOG of War.
<French Army Status April 16.xlsx><French Evening April 16.pdf><French Player orders April 16.pdf><Reports to French Headquarters April 16.pdf>

Mike Dolan

Who is involved in this 1809 Campaign?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:59 PM Dan H <danh@...> wrote:

This is the French players starting deployment and opening moves. You can see he is enjoying the spirit of the order writing. He is also trying to make sure each “local commander” know the general plan and can act accordingly.

Attached:

1 French player orders that they sent in.

They got back

2 Map-French Evening April 16.

3 Roster- Excel sheet showing losses and attrition.  Units that fight suffer attrition on top of the marching. And losing cost more attrition.

4 The reports from scouts and commands.

SO if you cheat and look at both maps side by side you can see the FOG of War.

--
Mike Dolan

Dan H

The scouts have a random roll to not report.

The scouts have a slightly higher chance of not reporting if they meet enemy.

What you read is what the players get at Army HQ. I generated. When you get to fighting you will see some creative license in the reporting.

[...]

Day 2

Dan H

Day 2

Dan H

Day 3

So the action is getting closer with order arriving. You can see the orders moving back and delay and the marching and counter marching.