Topics

sticky Club Project - Leipzig #poll #Club_Project

Bob

Previous large club projects: Borodino, Waterloo, Austerlitz . (I sense a theme)

After some discussion at today’s game (Thanks for running the game Ed) we have decided to put together a club project and run an anniversary game of the Battle of Leipzig (1813).
We already have all the OOB’s and maps. If you’re not familiar with the battle, its the largest battle of the Napoleonic Wars.

The anniversary of the battle falls on the October 17-18 weekend. But we could move it up a week and run it over the Columbus Day weekend if enough of you guys can keep away from all the Columbus Day car sales.

So…. Now we’re opening up the discussion to see what scale you guys would like to do it in.
The obvious choices are 15mm or 6mm. Unless you have a gymnasium and want to do it in 25/28mm.

Also, we’d like some opinions on the rules we should use. The size of the battle seems to call for a fairly low figure-per-unit count. And the units should probably represent something larger than a battalion or even a regiment.
Once we pick a scale and a set of rules we’ll need to do an inventory of "who has what”.

Pros & Cons: (You guys should add to this list or maybe someone can put together a Poll)

6mm Pro - The game will fit on my table. Terrain would be approximately 6’x9’.
6mm Con - This scale isn’t too popular with many in the club and many will not be interested in starting another scale in the period.

15mm Pro - The game will fit in my garage. Terrain would be about 12’x18’.
15mm Pro - I believe this is the group’s most common Napoleonic scale so filling in the gaps will be quicker.
15mm Con - We’d have to build a terrain table. I love doing this, others don’t.

25/28mm Pro - Visually appealing.
25/28mm Con - Cost
25/28mm Con - Size requirement for the game.

…..discuss!

El Rolando

I'm game, and my project miniatures wise for the year was painting up forces for Lützen and Bautzen, so I was already in an 1813 frame of mind.

I have 15mm Napoleonics, and got the 'all generals and marshals,' Old Glory French pack for Christmas, so I can get all the relevant generals for Leipzig painted up.

I am basing for Age of Eagles because that seemed to be a common rule set in our club.

Unless you want to give Et Sans Rwsultat another try...

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020, 18:11 Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:
[...]

I have no figures to contribute but I am very familiar with age of eagles in 15mm. I have the rules and can lend them.
It will be fun !!!! The day that Napoleon lost his empire for sure.

Sylvain

On Feb 29, 2020, at 6:30 PM, El Rolando <rollandlahaie@...> wrote:

[...]

I have 15mm French and Prussians based for AoE.

I'm certainly up for this!

Ray

[...]

I’m thinking that Age of Eagles will need too many figures. It’s a pretty figure heavy game.

On Feb 29, 2020, at 7:00 PM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Bob
[...]

Don L

This sounds like great fun.
I have French, Bavarians, Russians and Austrians in 15mm—based on Empire. Would need to know if I need to rebase.
I have French, Badeners, Austrians, Saxons, Prussians, Russians, Portuguese and other German states in 28mm if there is a basketball court somewhere to play on.

On Feb 29, 2020, at 7:13 PM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

[...]

John C

Hi,

Sounds like a great project.

I wouldn't give up on AoE because of numbers of figures.   I have a bunch of Napoleonics bases for AoE (actually I think it is Napoleon's Battles basing originally).;

Perhaps someone could do a calculation (or maybe it is in the scenarios) of how many bases are needed?   Then multiple by 4 and that is the number of figures needed.

I think it would look amazing doing it with AoE numbers!!

JC

On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 11:41:28 AM MST, Don L <dleuenbe@...> wrote:

[...]

In age of eagles 1 figure equals 90 men

Around 500,000 men in Leipzig means around 5500 figures so around 1400 stands

Not the most precise calculation but a good approximation

Sylvain

On Mar 1, 2020, at 12:42 PM, John C via Groups.Io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

[...]

Is Leipzig included in the 1813 scenario book for AOE?

El Rolando

I reckon the infantry and cavalry wouldn't be too much of a problem, but representing every single battery like AOE does might be a tough ask.

Bob

Not really.
Dennewitz, Mockern, Liebertwolkwitz, etc are in there as smaller (still big) scenarios.

If you’ll remember our Waterloo or Austerlitz games with wall-to-wall troops you should then multiply the unit count by 4 to get an idea. Or, think about it being twice the size of our Borodino game.

I also think that AoE may be too tactical for such a large battle to be completed in one weekend (2 days).

I’m researching some “fast play” options.

Bob

On Mar 1, 2020, at 1:42 PM, El Rolando <rollandlahaie@...> wrote:

Is Leipzig included in the 1813 scenario book for AOE?

El Rolando

I still have fast play Grande Armee that I printed out years a d years ago if you'd like a look. (I also have original Grande Armee as well.)

Tom Opalka

A brigade game is Blucher.  I haven't played it, but it is designed for larger games.  You would likely have to figure out how to do the movement rolls in a different manner with mutliple players.  You could just build sabot bases to fit figures.  I think there may even be an OOB for Leipzig on his site.

Tom O