Topics

Games and new members #General-Interest

There are over 40 people in this discussion group. Yet, only a half dozen or so seem to participate in discussions and maybe 10 come to the games.

While  lurking is fine, it might be more enjoyable to participate in a game or join in some discussions.

I guess I’m asking for some input about how we can make things more interesting to the folks who seem to be staying on the sidelines.

Smaller games? Bigger games? Different periods? Saturday’s are no good? More beer and snacks? The venue sucks? Fewer dancing girls? Does someone need a bath? ..... What?

I can speculate all day. But I’d rather just hear from you guys.

Bob

John C

Wow, gotta stop falling asleep at games......I missed the dancing girls!!!

JC

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 8:09:03 AM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

There are over 40 people in this discussion group. Yet, only a half dozen or so seem to participate in discussions and maybe 10 come to the games.

While  lurking is fine, it might be more enjoyable to participate in a game or join in some discussions.

I guess I’m asking for some input about how we can make things more interesting to the folks who seem to be staying on the sidelines.

Smaller games? Bigger games? Different periods? Saturday’s are no good? More beer and snacks? The venue sucks? Fewer dancing girls? Does someone need a bath? ..... What?

I can speculate all day. But I’d rather just hear from you guys.

See what happens when you show up late.

On Jan 26, 2019, at 8:34 AM, John C via Groups.Io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

Wow, gotta stop falling asleep at games......I missed the dancing girls!!!

JC

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 8:09:03 AM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

There are over 40 people in this discussion group. Yet, only a half dozen or so seem to participate in discussions and maybe 10 come to the games.

While  lurking is fine, it might be more enjoyable to participate in a game or join in some discussions.

I guess I’m asking for some input about how we can make things more interesting to the folks who seem to be staying on the sidelines.

Smaller games? Bigger games? Different periods? Saturday’s are no good? More beer and snacks? The venue sucks? Fewer dancing girls? Does someone need a bath? ..... What?

I can speculate all day. But I’d rather just hear from you guys.

Bob

Michael Farley

OK sure! The fool on the hill here. Kerry n I just finish a miniatures mini-campaign using Over the Top morphed into Test of Battle. So no keeping track of hits but each hit is rolled on a chart to determine if “no effect, fall back, or eliminated”. Fun little game, we used Berthier again and I was going to do up the play back a post it soon. Next Wednesday I was gonna roll out some WWII microarmor to try these Division Commander rules. Each 1” by 1” base is a battalion, 3” is a mile, variable number of turns but each turn is a hour and a half. You roll for divisions to see if they crap out for the day, more veteran units typically get more done in a day. Gonna do “Delaying action at Kharkov, Aug 20th 1943. Its part of a series of senarios centered around the 6th Panzer Division known as the “Alarmeinheiten” division.  A very different kind of scale but looks interesting and I appreciate the ability to do multiple day battles. So that’s what we are currently up to. We game at Game On by the way.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

There are over 40 people in this discussion group. Yet, only a half dozen or so seem to participate in discussions and maybe 10 come to the games.

While  lurking is fine, it might be more enjoyable to participate in a game or join in some discussions.

I guess I’m asking for some input about how we can make things more interesting to the folks who seem to be staying on the sidelines.

Smaller games? Bigger games? Different periods? Saturday’s are no good? More beer and snacks? The venue sucks? Fewer dancing girls? Does someone need a bath? ..... What?

I can speculate all day. But I’d rather just hear from you guys.

Game On is in Prescott right?
That might be a bit of a drive for you to come down to Mesa and game. But if you ever want to, we’ll be here.

I thought Over the Top was a WWI rule set?
Not familiar with Test of Battle.

I am interested in hearing how you like Berthier. We have run a few campaigns over the years but the bookkeeping has always been manual. Is there a steep learning curve? And/or a large amount of data entry before you can start the actual campaign game?

Haven’t played Division Commander.
For WWII we have played Blitzkrieg Commander, Disposable Heroes, Flames of War, Bolt Action, Battlefront WWII, Rules of Engagement, and probably a couple others that don’t immediately come to mind.
My favorite so far has been Rules of Engagement. Its 25/28mm platoon level.

Larry has been trying to get a Hurrah Stalino game going. Its Divisional in scale but sounds a bit like Division Commander also.
There’s a copy of the rules in the files section.

Bob

On Jan 26, 2019, at 9:34 AM, Michael Farley via Groups.Io <mfarl2001@...> wrote:

[...]

<C14C702DB18E42CA841549D4A9FBA763.png>

Sylvain

Mike
I live only an hour and a half from Prescott (I live in carefree) so I might try it one day. Not sure when though.
What time do you guys play?

On Jan 26, 2019, at 10:10 AM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

[...]

Interesting stuff, Mike.   What do you think of Great War Spearhead?  Units are platoons I think (never played it, but have played its WW2 cousin).   Test of Battle is also platoon based, correct?

I think you must have the ability to leave stuff up on the table between sessions, because the Over the Top / Test of Battle series is fairly time consuming IIRC?

JC

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 9:34:25 AM MST, Michael Farley via Groups.Io <mfarl2001@...> wrote:

[...]

Over the Top was by the late Greg Novak IIRC, and was related to Command Decision/Test of Battle by Frank Chadwick, a WW2 ruleset.   Mike can correct me if I am wrong.

JC

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 10:10:32 AM MST, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

[...]

Kochese (Larry)

I have played WWII SpearHead ( Arty Conliffe). Like the Rules. I have enough Germans and American in 12mm to do a large battle if anyone is interested, somewhere down the road.
Larry.

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 1:15 PM John C via Groups.Io <curranjohng=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I for one woujld like a game of Spearhead.  Long time since I played it!

JC