Topics

New to Area #General-Interest

Michael M

Hello.

I just joined your group.  I will be moving to Phoenix from Lawrence, Kansas in mid-January.  I've been a historical miniatures wargamer for about 20 years and a board gamer for even longer than that.  I found your website online.  I was hoping to find a new historical gaming group once we moved to the area, so was happy to find your website.  I'll be located about an hour north of Mesa, but I am willing to make the drive to meet other historical gamers.

I am planning to bring a fairly extensive collection of 15mm and 28mm figures representing a number of periods.  Among my 15mm interests are Late Roman, Renaissance Ottoman-Polish-Russian and 19th century wars.  In 28mm, my collection includes the French and Indian War, American Revolution and War of 1812.  I also have a collection of 28mm Wild West and 1920s Gangsters for skirmish gaming.  I also collect 1:1200 American Civil War and 1:2400 Pre Dreadnought naval.  I'm continuing to work on other periods, although I'll have to put that on hold until we finish the move.

I hope to hear from you and to meet the group early next year!

Michael Machell

Sylvain

Michael
Welcome to Arizona, I moved here last February from Illinois and we love it. I live about an hour North of Mesa (Carefree) and the drive is worth it. This is a great group.
Looking forward to meeting you

Sylvain Durand

On Saturday, November 10, 2018, 6:03:00 PM MST, <madmachell@...> wrote:

Hello.

I just joined your group.  I will be moving to Phoenix from Lawrence, Kansas in mid-January.  I've been a historical miniatures wargamer for about 20 years and a board gamer for even longer than that.  I found your website online.  I was hoping to find a new historical gaming group once we moved to the area, so was happy to find your website.  I'll be located about an hour north of Mesa, but I am willing to make the drive to meet other historical gamers.

I am planning to bring a fairly extensive collection of 15mm and 28mm figures representing a number of periods.  Among my 15mm interests are Late Roman, Renaissance Ottoman-Polish-Russian and 19th century wars.  In 28mm, my collection includes the French and Indian War, American Revolution and War of 1812.  I also have a collection of 28mm Wild West and 1920s Gangsters for skirmish gaming.  I also collect 1:1200 American Civil War and 1:2400 Pre Dreadnought naval.  I'm continuing to work on other periods, although I'll have to put that on hold until we finish the move.

Michael Machell

Bob

Michael,

You’ve found the right group. We play a lot of historical periods and are always ready to welcome new players.

I look forward to meeting you.

Bob

On Nov 10, 2018, at 6:07 PM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Michael
Welcome to Arizona, I moved here last February from Illinois and we love it. I live about an hour North of Mesa (Carefree) and the drive is worth it. This is a great group.

Sylvain Durand

Hello.

Michael Machell

Michael M

Hey, thanks for responding so quickly. Your group sounds great!  I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/10/18 7:54 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: Re: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] New to Area #General-Interest

Michael,

You’ve found the right group. We play a lot of historical periods and are always ready to welcome new players.

I look forward to meeting you.

Bob

On Nov 10, 2018, at 6:07 PM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Michael

Sylvain Durand

Hello.

Michael Machell

Ed

Great!  I'd be interested in doing some Pre-Dread or ACW naval.  Bob's table has "water" underneath the land mat!

What ancients rule set do you like?  We have been thinking about looking at some different ones.

Ed

On 11/10/2018 1:57 PM, madmachell@... wrote:
Hello.

Michael Machell

azelcid <kochese@...>

Ed
Lets do some DBX. Ancients, Ren, ECW ETC,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Ed <ekj2908@...> wrote:
Great!  I'd be interested in doing some Pre-Dread or ACW naval.  Bob's table has "water" underneath the land mat!

What ancients rule set do you like?  We have been thinking about looking at some different ones.

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Ed

always up for that.

On 11/12/2018 4:51 PM, azelcid wrote:
Ed
Lets do some DBX. Ancients, Ren, ECW ETC,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Ed <ekj2908@...> wrote:

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

David R

Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. Looking forward to meeting up. You will like our winters.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM <madmachell@...> wrote:
Hello.

Michael Machell

Michael M

We have mainly used two rules for ancients.  DBA is an obvious "standard" rule set for ancients and has the advantage of being simple and familiar to everyone in the group.  One of our members has put on some very interesting games using the "Ancients D6" rules, which I believe are online.

I have a couple of rulesets I have only read, but not yet tried out.  One is "Comitatus", which seems geared more towards the Late Roman and Dark Age periods.  The other is "Hail Caesar".  I really like Warlord Games "Black Powder", so am kind of interested in how "Hail Caesar" might work for ancients.

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Ed <ekj2908@...> wrote:

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Michael M

Thanks.  I hope I like your summers too.

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:46 AM, David R <rodgersdavid598@...> wrote:
Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. Looking forward to meeting up. You will like our winters.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM <madmachell@...> wrote:
Hello.

Michael Machell

I enjoy black powder also. Have quite a bit of Napoleonic for that. I have the hail Caesar rules but have not played them yet.

On the other hand, I don't arrive in the Mesa area until the end of January. Like you. :-)

Ray

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Date: 11/14/18 4:29 AM (GMT+01:00)
To: the-table-top-gaming-society@groups.io

We have mainly used two rules for ancients.  DBA is an obvious "standard" rule set for ancients and has the advantage of being simple and familiar to everyone in the group.  One of our members has put on some very interesting games using the "Ancients D6" rules, which I believe are online.

I have a couple of rulesets I have only read, but not yet tried out.  One is "Comitatus", which seems geared more towards the Late Roman and Dark Age periods.  The other is "Hail Caesar".  I really like Warlord Games "Black Powder", so am kind of interested in how "Hail Caesar" might work for ancients.

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Sylvain

Ed
Have you tried Classical Hack?
It is easy and works very well. I have a copy. 
The author, Philip Viverito is a good friend of mine

Sylvain 

Sylvain 

On Nov 13, 2018, at 11:28 PM, Ray Levesque <raylev3@...> wrote:

I enjoy black powder also. Have quite a bit of Napoleonic for that. I have the hail Caesar rules but have not played them yet.

On the other hand, I don't arrive in the Mesa area until the end of January. Like you. :-)

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Ed

I have played it once - it was the first miniature wargame I ever played so I don't have much recollection of it.

On 11/14/2018 6:47 AM, Sylvain via Groups.Io wrote:
Ed

Sylvain 

Sylvain 

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Michael M

I have not, but I am open to trying it out.  Easy is one of my rules criteria : )

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

Date: 11/14/18 7:47 AM (GMT-06:00)

Ed

Sylvain 

Sylvain 

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Michael M

I like the more "relaxed" nature of Black Powder.  It is a pretty flexible set of rules, so I can use for my AWI games as well as the mid-19th century stuff.  Recently, however, I've been playing the Neil Thomas rules, especially for 19th century Europe.  They are fairly straightforward and easy to use.  I also like how he explains his design choices in his books.

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

Date: 11/14/18 12:28 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io, the-table-top-gaming-society@groups.io

Ray

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Bob

I have played Black Powder (Pike & Shot version) once. Al and Tim ran the big ECW game. It was ok. I remember it being a bit generic in its feel. Will be willing to try it again. I of course prefer my own rules “Bibles & Buffcoats” for ECW.

Ancients - Everyone knows I like Tactica. Armati is good too. Not into DB*.

Naps - I like Age of Eagles. I like Napoleon at War. And I picked up Et Sans Resultat at Historicon but haven’t played it yet.

But here’s the important question;  what rules should we use for Pirates?   Sword & Flame has been mentioned, maybe Blood & Plunder, or is there something better out there?

Bob

On Nov 14, 2018, at 7:57 AM, madmachell <madmachell@...> wrote:

I like the more "relaxed" nature of Black Powder.  It is a pretty flexible set of rules, so I can use for my AWI games as well as the mid-19th century stuff.  Recently, however, I've been playing the Neil Thomas rules, especially for 19th century Europe.  They are fairly straightforward and easy to use.  I also like how he explains his design choices in his books.

Michael Machell

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Sylvain

Bob
I actually have a copy of blood and plunder but never used it. 
I Would love to use it as it is designed for this period 

Sylvain 

On Nov 14, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

I have played Black Powder (Pike & Shot version) once. Al and Tim ran the big ECW game. It was ok. I remember it being a bit generic in its feel. Will be willing to try it again. I of course prefer my own rules “Bibles & Buffcoats” for ECW.

Naps - I like Age of Eagles. I like Napoleon at War. And I picked up Et Sans Resultat at Historicon but haven’t played it yet.

But here’s the important question;  what rules should we use for Pirates?   Sword & Flame has been mentioned, maybe Blood & Plunder, or is there something better out there?

Bob

Michael Machell

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Just an FYI...I have the Sword and the Flame version for pirates called, "The Sword in the Caribbean."

You're right about Black Powder being kinda' generic.  However, that depends on the unit characteristics you choose and special period rules.  As the designer said, the rules are meant to be a "tool kit" that allows the scenario designer or host to pick rules and attributes more fitting to the era and armies.  I didn't realize how well this really worked until a guy ran a colonial Sudan game with Anglo/Egyptian troops against the Mahdi's forces.  I was extremely surprised at how the "feel" was different from the straight up rules normally used for Napoleonics.

BTW, I cut my teeth on  Fire and Fury for ACW, and I bought Age of Eagles, but never found anyone interested in playing.  Hopefully that will change.... 😊

Ray

From: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io <The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io> on behalf of Bob <brodgers@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:39 PM

Bob

Michael Machell

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Bob

I have a copy also.
Never played mine either.

Bob

On Nov 14, 2018, at 11:13 AM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Bob
I actually have a copy of blood and plunder but never used it. 
I Would love to use it as it is designed for this period 

Sylvain 

On Nov 14, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

Bob

Michael Machell

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell

Michael M

Never played it, but would be game to try it out.

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 08:28 AM, Ed <ekj2908@...> wrote:
I have played it once - it was the first miniature wargame I ever played so I don't have much recollection of it.

On 11/14/2018 6:47 AM, Sylvain via Groups.Io wrote:
Ed

Sylvain 

Sylvain 

Ray

Michael Machell

Ed

Hello.

Michael Machell