Topics

Lion Rampant Tournament

The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...>

We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

I will participate
Which periods are we playing? I have an English HYW army and a Viking army

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:07:26 PM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

Either one is fine.
If you have the rules just make sure you follow the force composition requirements for a 24 point army.

If you don’t have the rules you can look at mine this Saturday.

Someone had a PDF version too. Clark maybe?

Bob

On Sep 26, 2018, at 1:09 PM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Bob
I will participate
Which periods are we playing? I have an English HYW army and a Viking army

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:07:26 PM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

Oh!  And the tournament is in 25/28mm

On Sep 26, 2018, at 1:09 PM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Bob
I will participate
Which periods are we playing? I have an English HYW army and a Viking army

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:07:26 PM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

This is what I have :-)
Glad I know it now

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:17:28 PM MST, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

Oh!  And the tournament is in 25/28mm

On Sep 26, 2018, at 1:09 PM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

Bob
I will participate
Which periods are we playing? I have an English HYW army and a Viking army

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:07:26 PM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

I am working that weekend.

JC

Which periods are we playing? I have an English HYW army and a Viking army

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:07:26 PM MST, The Tin Dictator <tindictator@...> wrote:

We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

Since several people have accused the Lion Rampant rules of being biased in favor of missile fire, perhaps an investigation or a hearing should be held to see if that is true and should be rectified by house rules or list limits?

Wargame rules are usually guilty until proven innocent.

On 9/26/2018 1:07 PM, The Tin Dictator wrote:
We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

I have seen that too.
 One way to do it without changing the rules is to limit the missile troops to 4 points. Basically one unit that is not sharpshooters....
My English hyw with two sharpshooters units protected by men at arms are very deadly :-)
Any thoughts?

Sylvain

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:32 AM, Ed <ekj2908@...> wrote:

Since several people have accused the Lion Rampant rules of being biased in favor of missile fire, perhaps an investigation or a hearing should be held to see if that is true and should be rectified by house rules or list limits?

Wargame rules are usually guilty until proven innocent.

On 9/26/2018 1:07 PM, The Tin Dictator wrote:
We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

Sylvain...you play the English?  Will they even let you return to France anymore? :-)

We could do that to limit archer/crossbows I think that would be good.

We would have to take a closer look at mounted archers as well.

Also the complete uselessness of mounted men at arms might warrant a second look.

On 9/27/2018 8:12 AM, Sylvain via Groups.Io wrote:
Ed
[...]

From what I’ve seen, I tend to agree. There was talk of changing the rules to SAGA.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:32 AM, Ed <ekj2908@...> wrote:

Since several people have accused the Lion Rampant rules of being biased in favor of missile fire, perhaps an investigation or a hearing should be held to see if that is true and should be rectified by house rules or list limits?

Wargame rules are usually guilty until proven innocent.

On 9/26/2018 1:07 PM, The Tin Dictator wrote:
We're coming up to October.
The last couple of years we have had the Lion Rampant Tournament in October.
The rules, etc are in the files section on the group forum site.   https://groups.io/g/The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society/files

The tournament is scheduled to be on Saturday, October 27th.
Now I'm looking for a head count.  Who intends to participate?

Room for 8 players.
Let me know.

Thanks Sylvain, I did not know about these supplements.

Hardly ever buy Wargames Illustrated anymore.   It used to be filled with useful stuff like scenarios, etc.   Now it seems more like just an advertising supplement!!

JC

For people interested in Dark Ages, here is the wargames illustrated supplement
I am also adding the Sieges rules

Regards

Sylvain

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 1:16:36 PM MST, Bob <brodgers@...> wrote:

[...]

The Wargames Illustrated supplements is not available out of any sites, I just purchased it and scanned it :-)
This is the only WI I purchased in a long time (I have the DVDs of the first 250 editions though) as the content is too focus on British/Anzac dominions rulesets
The Siege PDF is a free PDF from one of their sites

On Friday, September 28, 2018, 8:18:24 AM MST, John C via Groups.Io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

[...]

I have all the magazines back about 10-12 years (some older) if you ever want to look for something.

Bob

On Sep 28, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Sylvain via Groups.Io <Sylvainnc@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob.   Good of you to offer.    I have a lot of the old WI.

After Warlord Games (or whoever commercial it is that owns them now) took them over, the content really deteriorated.  It is all about some company touting its new figure line, or a designer spouting off about his new rule set, or a glossy pictorial on a recent Con.

I think Sylvain also hit the nail when he said the content has become much more British oriented (since that is where they get most of their advertisers from).  Yes, it was always, being a UK production, rather Brit predominant, but nowadays it is really British content ++.

Before this there were always scenarios or rules for a campaign, or a series on how to paint some army, or an actual home brew rule set, etc.  i.e useful articles to the ordinary wargamer.   Now it is just commercial flim flam by and large.

JC

[...]

Where can I buy the DVDs of the first 250 issues?   There are many excellent issues in that collection.

JC

[...]

I also have all the  Miniature Wargames and Wargames Soldiers & Strategy.
WSS is currently the best of the lot.

And I have tons of the now defunct other mags.
Well, you’ve seen my shelves.

Bob

On Sep 28, 2018, at 12:21 PM, John C via Groups.Io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

[...]

I got them directly from Battlefront
Here is the email I got from them. Dave Edwards is the person to talk to

Dave Edwards <dave.edwards@...>
To:
sylvainnc@...

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Hi Sylvain
Thank you for the email, unfortunately Robert Townsend no longer works for Wargames Illustrated / Flames of War.
We were unaware of this request, if still needed we can send you an invoice for the CD when the UK editor returns from his vacation (27th August 2013)
Again we apologize for the delay and the trouble caused
Kind Regards

David Edwards

Customer Service / Warehouse Manager

Battlefront Miniatures EU Ltd & Wargames Illustrated

Unit 4C Tissington Close

Beeston

Nottingham

NG9 6QG

On Friday, September 28, 2018, 12:23:16 PM MST, John C via Groups.Io <curranjohng@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree.  WSS is very good.

JC

[...]

OK Sylvain, I have sent off a request to Dave Edwards.   We will see what happens!

JC