Re: Hello there!

Michael M

Like John, I have been forced to stay away from the meetings due to the fact that my wife is in a high risk category.  I'm hoping to get back into it soon, because it is a very enjoyable group and I enjoy the games we put on the table.  In the meantime, I have been putting the time to good use painting up some new armies with which to game.  My current projects are 15mm Louis XIV era (late 17th century) and 28mm French to add to my AWI collection.

When I joined the group, I introduced it to the "Black Powder" first edition rules although we later began gaming with the second edition rules.  I put on an AWI scenario and a couple of War of 1812 scenarios using those rules.  I also hosted a hypothetical battle between the U.S. and Spain in the mid-1790s using the "Mad Anthony Wayne" figures from Old Glory and a period Spanish Army I had painted using figures from a number of different sources.  So I definitely share your interest in the horse and musket/black powder games.

We have the benefit of a wide variety of interests, so you will have the opportunity to do everything from Ancients to Modern.  This group has a number of historical periods covered.  Sylvain puts on a good game (with some very nicely painted figures), so his game on the 16th will be a nice introduction to our games.

I hope - COVID willing - to see you and the rest of the group soon.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 02:38 PM, JC via groups.io <curranjohng@...> wrote:
Hi Aslan,

Welcome to the group.   I and a couple of others are currently staying away from the meetings because of COVID, but later in 2021 I am sure we will meet up.

Wargamers are a bit mixed in terms of personalities, like any group, but the key question after a game is "Did you have fun??"

There are 3 elements to historical miniature gaming - (1) the toy soldier effect which we often have a love for from our childhood - this is where the collecting, assembling and painting come in, (2) the history - which is why people often buy military history books or go on the web, to flesh out their understanding of a particular battle or campaign, and (3) the competitive side where you want to win the particular game/scenario.   For most people it is a mix of all three.

Do come and play for a few meetings.   You need to see different games with different rules to get a real appreciation of the hobby before deciding if it is for you.

You can ask any question you have here;.  Someone will know the answer.

John Curran

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 12:04:19 PM MST, Aslan <aslanhicks520@...> wrote:

Hello!
I'm new in town so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Aslan, and I've been wanting to join a group for some time. I've been collecting and painting for two years, but I haven't had a ton of people to play with where I'm from, so when I moved to Phoenix I thought it would be a great opportunity to find a group and start to play and get to know people. I reached out to Bob, and he let me know that I should introduce myself on here, so here I am!

I'm 18, so rather young, and I'm still very much learning about the world of historical minis and wargaming. This is the first time I've ever really reached out to other wargamers and mini collectors, so I'm very excited. So far I only have troops in 28mm. I love anything black powder currently have armies for British and French Napoleonic, and well as American and British AWI. I also recently got the Bolt Action starter pack kit from Warlord, and have been enjoying putting those sprues together. I'm looking forward to expanding into new time periods soon! I'm still very new to the hobby, and any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I'm also a pretty big D&D fan or any roleplaying system, so if anyone is looking for another player or DM, please reach out.
When I'm not working on minis I study Journalism and Criminology at ASU.

Hopefully, I'll be coming to an event soon, I'm shooting for Sylvain's AWI rule test on the 16th. I'm out of town until the 5th visiting family for the holidays, but I cant wait to get back and come to an event.

Thank you all, hope to be playing with you soon.
Cheers!
Aslan