From: cy6@groups.io <digestnoreply@groups.io>
To: "curranjohng@..." <curranjohng@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 06:01:27 AM MST
Subject: [cy6] Check Your 6! Air Combat - Digest #89

This is a digest for cy6@groups.io, at https://groups.io/g/cy6

Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest, click on the link at the bottom of the message.

Topics in this digest:

1. Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA? (4)

Messages

1a. Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  From: highlandcatfrog <highlandcatfrog@...>
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 07:22:37 MST

Since April, due to in-person access restrictions caused by pandemic lockdowns (like now, closed to the public again), The National Archives (TNA) of the UK has been offering free downloads, without watermark, of the digitized files in their collection.

I was just curious if anyone else besides myself has been making use of this to download primary source material - Combat Reports and ORBs - for scenario writing.

If anyone was unaware but is interested I'll post more info and links.

1b. Re: Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  From: gjfoxsr <gjfoxsr@...>
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 08:43:20 MST

Do you have the link for this information?
Thanks Greg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

  From: highlandcatfrog <highlandcatfrog@...>
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 09:52:03 MST

Here’s the search page for Combat Reports (AIR 50 files):

And the search page for ORBs (AIR 27 files):

When you get to the first page of results from either of them you’ll see a “sign in” button on the top right. You’ll have to create an account with an email address and off you go! (And it’s far less demanding of info than U.S. sites.)

You put 10 items (files) in your cart then go through the check out process. Lather, rinse, repeat. You can download 100 files every 30 days (rolling) - it used to be 50, was increased to 100 last Thursday when they shut to the public again. Don’t go over 100, from what I’ve read on a couple of forums they WILL catch and ban you.

If there's interest I'll try to post info on what's to be found in the ORBs and some tricks I've learned for searching the AIR 50 files later today.

1d. Re: Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  From: gjfoxsr <gjfoxsr@...>
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 16:55:06 MST

Thank you very much!