Free access to the UK National Archives (was Fw: [cy6] Check Your 6! Air Combat - Digest #89)

JC

Hi,
This is from the Check Your 6 air rules io group.

Apparently The National Archives in the UK has, because of the pandemic, allowed files from the archive to be downloaded for free.  The two groups mentioned in the posting are combat reports and OOBs.   The poster describes how to search, but enters the word "air" as of course the CY6 rules are air rules and that presumably is his interest.   I presume there are plenty of land and naval files available as well.  Not had a chance to go exploring but will try out the site this weekend.   
You do apparently have to create an account, but it is free. 
No idea how far back the documents go.   I presume it is rather like the Carlisle records you can access here in the US, the place where the Nafziger collection of OBs are housed.

JC

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: "curranjohng@..." <curranjohng@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 06:01:27 AM MST
Subject: [cy6] Check Your 6! Air Combat - Digest #89

This is a digest for cy6@groups.io, at https://groups.io/g/cy6

Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest, click on the link at the bottom of the message.

Topics in this digest:

1. Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA? (4)

1a. Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 07:22:37 MST

Since April, due to in-person access restrictions caused by pandemic lockdowns (like now, closed to the public again), The National Archives (TNA) of the UK has been offering free downloads, without watermark, of the digitized files in their collection.

I was just curious if anyone else besides myself has been making use of this to download primary source material - Combat Reports and ORBs - for scenario writing.

If anyone was unaware but is interested I'll post more info and links.
--

1b. Re: Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 08:43:20 MST

Do you have the link for this information?
Thanks Greg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:53 AM
Subject: [cy6] Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?

Since April, due to in-person access restrictions caused by pandemic lockdowns (like now, closed to the public again), The National Archives (TNA) of the UK has been offering free downloads, without watermark, of the digitized files in their collection. 

I was just curious if anyone else besides myself has been making use of this to download primary source material - Combat Reports and ORBs - for scenario writing. 

If anyone was unaware but is interested I'll post more info and links.

Attachments:
--

1c. Re: Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 09:52:03 MST

Here’s the search page for Combat Reports (AIR 50 files):

And the search page for ORBs (AIR 27 files):

When you get to the first page of results from either of them you’ll see a “sign in” button on the top right. You’ll have to create an account with an email address and off you go! (And it’s far less demanding of info than U.S. sites.)

You put 10 items (files) in your cart then go through the check out process. Lather, rinse, repeat. You can download 100 files every 30 days (rolling) - it used to be 50, was increased to 100 last Thursday when they shut to the public again. Don’t go over 100, from what I’ve read on a couple of forums they WILL catch and ban you.

If there's interest I'll try to post info on what's to be found in the ORBs and some tricks I've learned for searching the AIR 50 files later today.
--

1d. Re: Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?
  Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 16:55:06 MST

Thank you very much!
Greg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [cy6] Is Anyone Else Making Use of TNA?

Here’s the search page for Combat Reports (AIR 50 files): 

And the search page for ORBs (AIR 27 files): 

When you get to the first page of results from either of them you’ll see a “sign in” button on the top right. You’ll have to create an account with an email address and off you go! (And it’s far less demanding of info than U.S. sites.)

You put 10 items (files) in your cart then go through the check out process. Lather, rinse, repeat. You can download 100 files every 30 days (rolling) - it used to be 50, was increased to 100 last Thursday when they shut to the public again. Don’t go over 100, from what I’ve read on a couple of forums they WILL catch and ban you.

If there's interest I'll try to post info on what's to be found in the ORBs and some tricks I've learned for searching the AIR 50 files later today.

Attachments:
--

To change your subscription, visit: https://groups.io/g/cy6/editsub/165942

--
JC
"Sophisticated, charming and humble" - all down to his club shirt!

Join The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.