Re: Naval Movie Quiz

Michael M

Then I have achieved my life's goal!

There are no other mountains left for me to climb unless you include spitting in the Man's eye!

From: "Kochese (Larry)" <kochese@...>
Date: 10/13/20 9:11 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: Re: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] Naval Movie Quiz

You Sir are obviously under worked and over paid.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 8:54 AM Ray Levesque <raylev3@...> wrote:
Work?  I think I used to do that, too.   But now I'm just sitting in the kitchen looking out at the Huachuca mountains.

Ray

From: "JC via groups.io" <curranjohng=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: 10/12/20 9:15 PM (GMT-07:00)

Some of us actually have to work!!............

JC

On Monday, October 12, 2020, 05:40:27 PM MST, Bob <brodgers.cell@...> wrote:

You got them all. Including the non-battle one.
But you cheated.....
But no one else responded all day.

So I guess you win.

Naval ones were hard.

On Oct 12, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Michael M via groups.io <madmachell=sunflower.com@groups.io> wrote:

Okay, I cheated.  I tried, but I had to look most of these up.  I was able to answer 1, 2 and 9 on my own, but the others were difficult.

1. Captain Jack Aubrey - Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003).  Russell Crowe did a great job as Aubrey.
2. :t (JG) John Kennedy - PT109 (1963) - Cliff Robertson did a wonderful job as JFK.  He may have won the Academy Award for it.
3. Lt (JG) Kenneth M. Braden - Up Periscope (1959) - have not seen it.
4. Captain Roc Brasiliano - Against All Flags (1952) - I haven't seen it, but may check it out because I like Anthony Quinn, who is in the title role.
5. Captain Charlie Allnut - The African Queen (1951) - Another awesome Bogart movie, but would never have come up with this one on my own.
6. Captain Collins - The Sand Pebbles (1966) - I saw this one a long time ago.  Steve McQueen was a sailor in it if I recall (he was not Captain Collins).  I believe Paul Newman turned down that role.
7. Admiral P.P. Spewter - The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964) - I remember watching this as a kid.  Clever name for a German Naval Officer.  Don Knotts was the star.  I recall he was animated as a fish in part of the movie.
8. Captain Salazar - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) - I should have gotten this one, but I was too mesmerized by another character in the movie...no, NOT Captain Jack Sparrow.  Whichever character Keira Knightly played.
9. Captain Marco Ramius - The Hunt for Red October (1990) - Played by Sean Connery.  I think a young Alec Baldwin played Jack Ryan in that one.  One of my favorite character actors, Sam Neill, played Ramius' Executive Officer.
10. Don Jose Alvarez de Cordoba - The Sea Hawk (1940) - Errol Flynn playing a Sir Francis Drake wannabe.

As for the movie without the battle at sea, I'd have to guess as I do not have enough time to watch all of these.  I wanted to say The African Queen, but I think there was a naval battle of sorts.  Mr. Limpet would have been a possibility, but any film with a Nazi commander in it is going to have a battle.  I'm going to guess The Hunt for Red October because they were trying to avoid a battle.

Michael Machell

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 07:42 AM, Bob <brodgers.cell@...> wrote:
Here’s the Naval Movie Quiz.
All these officers appear in a movie where there’s at least one battle at sea. Except one. Extra points if you identify that one.
Also, I’m pretty sure that most of the movies do NOT depict historical events. Like most Hollywood productions. Although they may be based on something historical..
Here are the officers. You name the movies. Simplicity itself.
  1. Captain Jack Aubrey
  2. Lt (JG) John Kennedy
  3. Lt (JG) Kenneth M. Braden
  4. Captain Roc Brasiliano
  5. Captain Charlie Allnut
  6. Captain Collins
  7. Admiral P.P. Spewter
  8. Captain Salazar
  9. Captain Marco Ramius
  10. Don Jose Alvarez de Córdoba

Same rules as last time. Same prize also.