Re: The Graying of the Hobby Or... Flogging a Very Old Horse

Michael M

Really good points about having different priorities in your 20s and 30s with marriage, home ownership and kids.  I started historical miniatures gaming in my 30s, but to your point, my collecting and painting really took off once I was established in my career and my daughter had developed her own interests.  Fortunately, my wife sees the stress-release benefit and encourages my profligacy.

I don't really know how to respond to the graying of the hobby warning.  I heard it when I was playing strategy wargames in my teens and 20s and then later when I got into miniatures.  It really hasn't come to pass as far as I can tell.  I am getting older, but still manage to find other old farts like me who share an interest.  I suspect that we can do more to encourage the younger guys to participate in historical gaming.  I also think there are some genres that can be a "gateway drug" to historicals. That's why I don't mind the occasional orc or elf on the tabletop. Some skirmish-type games like Pirates, Wild West and WW2 present sufficient eye candy to also get gamers to cross over.  Along those lines,  "Lion Rampant" kind of strikes me as Warhammer-esque in practice, so kind of bridges the leap from fantasy to historical.

I think our group is pretty welcoming, but our gaming isn't in a public setting like a game shop or a Convention, so there aren't public opportunities to share historicals among he younger gaming crowd.  Bob's website helps, but there is a big difference between reading about and seeing pictures of games versus having a well-painted Napoleonic or Ancients army deployed on the table in front of you.

Bottom line for me is that there a plenty of us out there to keep the hobby going, but we shouldn't lose sight of opportunities to attract fresh players.

My two cents for what it's worth.m

Michael Machell
madmachell@...

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/16/20 12:47 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io
Subject: [The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society] The Graying of the Hobby Or... Flogging a Very Old Horse

Watched Little Wars TV's video about whether or not historical gaming is dying out, and while there were good points made, I don't see it.  It's an expensive, and time intensive hobby that is best suited for folks middle aged and older.  Though I was a semi-active club member in my late 20's, attending the odd game here and there, I was never able to devote the time I seem to have now in my late 30's to painting, terrain building, and gaming fairly regularly.  In fact, because there was always a financial obligation or saving for a big purchase (like a home) going on in my 20's, paired with young children all over the house, I barely picked up a brush for almost a decade.

During that time, I still kept up on miniature lines, rule sets, and dreamed of the days when I would have the time and money for the truly big projects I wanted to dive into when I had the trifecta of time, money, and space.  I didn't fall away from gaming or a lifelong love of toy soldiers.  I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that it's a hobby that is always going to look 'gray,' because it isn't until your hair starts losing a bit of colour that you can really dive into it.

Anyway, was wondering what the members of our own group thought about it, if they've thought about it at all.

Join The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.