The Graying of the Hobby Or... Flogging a Very Old Horse

El Rolando

Watched Little Wars TV's video about whether or not historical gaming is dying out, and while there were good points made, I don't see it.  It's an expensive, and time intensive hobby that is best suited for folks middle aged and older.  Though I was a semi-active club member in my late 20's, attending the odd game here and there, I was never able to devote the time I seem to have now in my late 30's to painting, terrain building, and gaming fairly regularly.  In fact, because there was always a financial obligation or saving for a big purchase (like a home) going on in my 20's, paired with young children all over the house, I barely picked up a brush for almost a decade.

During that time, I still kept up on miniature lines, rule sets, and dreamed of the days when I would have the time and money for the truly big projects I wanted to dive into when I had the trifecta of time, money, and space.  I didn't fall away from gaming or a lifelong love of toy soldiers.  I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that it's a hobby that is always going to look 'gray,' because it isn't until your hair starts losing a bit of colour that you can really dive into it.

Anyway, was wondering what the members of our own group thought about it, if they've thought about it at all.

Join The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.