Re: Upcoming Event: And Now For Something Completely Different: The Great Paraguayan War (also known as the War of the Triple Alliance) - Sat, 11/09/2019 12:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Mark K

bob

i’ll be there

mark

Reminder: And Now For Something Completely Different: The Great Paraguayan War (also known as the War of the Triple Alliance)

When: Saturday, 9 November 2019, 12:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT-07:00) America/Phoenix

Where:Bob's War Room

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: Michael Machell madmachell@... 785-550-4050

Description: This is a fairly obscure South American conflict occurring around the same time as the American Civil War, ultimately resulting in the utter annihilation of the Paraguayan nation.  The megalomaniac dictator of Paraguay, Francisco Solano Lopez, took on the combined armies of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay over a territorial dispute involving the two larger countries. The Paraguayan army outnumbered the armies of the other combatants at the start of the war and enjoyed some initial successes, but after a naval defeat by Brazil on the Parana River at the Battle of the Riachuelo, was very much on the defensive for the majority of the war.  Despite being outnumbered, the Paraguayan soldiers - mostly indigenous Guarani -  were incredibly tenacious fighters and wholly loyal to Lopez.  As an additional "incentive", Lopez threatened the old Roman practice of "decimation" (killing one of every ten men) for any unit that retreated in battle.  As a result, there was only one recorded instance of a routed Paraguayan unit running away from battle during the war.  This war is an interesting mix of Napoleonic and American Civil War-type weapons and tactics with some of the Paraguayan units even fighting with spears!  The figures are 15mm scale.  I plan to use rules adapted from Neil Thomas "Wargaming 19th Century Europe" although "Black Powder" works very well for this conflict.  There are also versions of rules for this period using "Fire and Fury" and "Principles of War" although I have not played those.

Join The-Table-Top-Gaming-Society@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.