WTB: Tek 576 and P6015A

Chris Wilkson

Hi All,

I'm on a Tek buying spree!
I need some gear for development projects and I'm tired of waiting for stuff to magically appear for sale.

I need a 576 curve tracer.
I have a few analog projects and I need to characterize some component types under real circuit conditions.

I also need a P6015A probe.
Complete with the accessories if possible.
I bought a P6015 (not -A) several years ago but it was dry and missing a couple of accessories.
I need the full voltage range for CRT's in the 19-25" range.

These are needed tools, so I need them working 100% from day one.
I have enough "I can make it work some day" projects.
Calibrated is preferred but not essential. 100% working is mandatory.

I can pay cash, or trade other Tek/HP/Lecroy gear +/- cash.
(Scads of Tek 7k gear, some HP scopes/supplies, a phase gain meter, some video test stuff)

I'm in Detroit and I can travel a reasonable distance to pickup.
I'm open to shipping, but I do hesitate on the 576.
...mostly because it's so danged heavy and bulky I worry about probability of damage.

Please contact me off list with sale/trade offers or leads to same.

Thanks,
Chris

Miguel Work

I refill my P6015 with butane, boooooooooooooooooooom!!!!

[...]

I've heard about the butane trick before. I think I read about it here. I haven't tried it myself.

Sean Turner

I wouldn't recommend it. There's a seller on ebay who has flourocarbon 114 in small vials...enough for 2 or even 3 fills if you are careful and chill the probe body and the 114 down in the freezer for a while before filling. You won't get any boil off if you have everything colder than 20 F.

Sean

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 04:06 PM, Chris Wilkson wrote:

I've heard about the butane trick before. I think I read about it here. I
haven't tried it myself.

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Boil off is an essential part of filling the probe... it is
how the heavier than air freon eliminates the air in the probe.

The probe is *NOT* filled completely with liquid freon. It is
only necessary that there be some liquid in the probe, and that
the probe be entirely full of freon vapor.

The probes are generally very well sealed. I filled my 6015
about 20 years ago, and it still has the proper amount of liquid
in it.

One way the seal gets compromised is if you get too brutal while
removing the BNC cable, and loosen the BNC connector, making its
o-ring leak. As I recall, the o-rings and gaskets are all teflon.

If I didn't already have some of the freon (stored in my freezer),
I would certainly try using butane... but let it boil and eliminate
all of the air from the probe.

It is very difficult to create a mix of butane and air that will
explode.

-Chuck Harris

Sean Turner wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it. There's a seller on ebay who has flourocarbon 114 in small vials...enough for 2 or even 3 fills if you are careful and chill the probe body and the 114 down in the freezer for a while before filling. You won't get any boil off if you have everything colder than 20 F.

Sean

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 04:06 PM, Chris Wilkson wrote:

I've heard about the butane trick before. I think I read about it here. I
haven't tried it myself.

Miguel Work

Mine leaks in two years. I use some silicone grease to seal o-rings.
I think that there are two o-ring, one in tip and other in cap.

Which is the o-ring sizes?

De: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] En nombre de
Chuck Harris Enviado el: sábado, 27 de febrero de 2021 18:07
Para: TekScopes@groups.io

If I didn't already have some of the freon (stored in my freezer), I would certainly try using butane... but let it boil and eliminate all of the air from the probe.

It is very difficult to create a mix of butane and air that will explode.

-Chuck Harris
I had a small, sealed bottle for my probe stored in my freezer. When I went to fill the probe, it had all evaporated leaving me with an empty, sealed, bottle.

This had been repackaged by a list member some years ago when he had acquired a small amount.

Butane sounds like a good alternative to me. From what I can see from a limited search, it cuts the voltage rating in half compared to R114. At least the probe is usable at that point.

Paul

Sean Turner

When the probe comes back up to temperature after sealing it, the liquid inside will begin to approach it's vapor pressure and accomplish the same goal. The point of chilling down below flourocarbon 114's boiling point it is to minimize loss of precious gas to atmosphere. Not only is it not made anymore, it's also good environmental stewardship.

Sean

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 09:07 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:

[...]

Errr, I meant approach it's boiling point, at which point the gas will assume it's vapor pressure, which is--as you point out--the actual dialectric mechanism.

Sean

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 01:54 PM, Sean Turner wrote:

When the probe comes back up to temperature after sealing it, the liquid
inside will begin to approach it's vapor pressure and accomplish the same
goal. The point of chilling down below flourocarbon 114's boiling point it is
to minimize loss of precious gas to atmosphere. Not only is it not made
anymore, it's also good environmental stewardship.

Sean

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Freon is a tremendous solvent for all kinds of greases and
oils. It will wash the silicone grease off of the exposed
O-ring surfaces until it breaches the seal. You have to use
the right kind of O-ring, and have a properly prepared O-ring
groove.

I have no idea what the o-ring sizes are.

-Chuck Harris

Miguel Work wrote:

Mine leaks in two years. I use some silicone grease to seal o-rings.
I think that there are two o-ring, one in tip and other in cap.

Which is the o-ring sizes?

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

You will still have to let it boil for long enough to displace
all of the air. May as well let it boil from the start.

-Chuck Harris

Sean Turner wrote:

Errr, I meant approach it's boiling point, at which point the gas will assume it's vapor pressure, which is--as you point out--the actual dialectric mechanism.

Sean

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 01:54 PM, Sean Turner wrote:

When the probe comes back up to temperature after sealing it, the liquid
inside will begin to approach it's vapor pressure and accomplish the same
goal. The point of chilling down below flourocarbon 114's boiling point it is
to minimize loss of precious gas to atmosphere. Not only is it not made
anymore, it's also good environmental stewardship.

Sean

Renée

What about R227ea it is a possible replacement for R114 and is non flamable.
Renée

If I didn't already have some of the freon (stored in my freezer), I would certainly try using butane... but let it boil and eliminate all of the air from the probe.

It is very difficult to create a mix of butane and air that will explode.

-Chuck Harris
I had a small, sealed bottle for my probe stored in my freezer. When I went to fill the
probe, it had all evaporated leaving me with an empty, sealed, bottle.

This had been repackaged by a list member some years ago when he had acquired a small
amount.

Butane sounds like a good alternative to me. From what I can see from a limited search, it
cuts the voltage rating in half compared to R114. At least the probe is usable at that point.

Paul

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

That is surprising, given that it is fully liquid at
freezer temperatures and atmospheric pressure.

I just pulled mine from the freezer and checked them,
and they are still full.

Another option is HF6. Freeze it, put some liquid in
the probe, when it all has boiled off, seal the probe.

-Chuck Harris

De: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] En nombre de
Chuck Harris Enviado el: sábado, 27 de febrero de 2021 18:07
Para: TekScopes@groups.io

If I didn't already have some of the freon (stored in my freezer), I would certainly try using butane... but let it boil and eliminate all of the air from the probe.

It is very difficult to create a mix of butane and air that will explode.

-Chuck Harris
I had a small, sealed bottle for my probe stored in my freezer. When I went to fill the probe, it had all evaporated leaving me with an empty, sealed, bottle.

This had been repackaged by a list member some years ago when he had acquired a small amount.

Butane sounds like a good alternative to me. From what I can see from a limited search, it cuts the voltage rating in half compared to R114. At least the probe is usable at that point.

Paul

Gary Robert Bosworth

What does WTB mean?

Para: TekScopes@groups.io

If I didn't already have some of the freon (stored in my freezer), I
would certainly try using butane... but let it boil and eliminate all of
the air from the probe.

It is very difficult to create a mix of butane and air that will
explode.

-Chuck Harris
I had a small, sealed bottle for my probe stored in my freezer. When I
went to fill the probe, it had all evaporated leaving me with an empty,
sealed, bottle.

This had been repackaged by a list member some years ago when he had
acquired a small amount.

Butane sounds like a good alternative to me. From what I can see from a
limited search, it cuts the voltage rating in half compared to R114. At
least the probe is usable at that point.

Paul

Michael W. Lynch

What does WTB mean?
"Want To Buy"
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Richard R. Pope

Michael,
YEP!
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 2/27/2021 5:07 PM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
What does WTB mean?
"Want To Buy"

Larry McDavid

Chuck, do you mean SF6?LarrySent via the Samsung Galaxy S10

-------- Original message --------From: Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> Date: 2/27/21 3:04 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] WTB: Tek 576 and P6015A That is surprising, given that it is fully liquid atfreezer temperatures and atmospheric pressure.I just pulled mine from the freezer and checked them,and they are still full.Another option is HF6.  Freeze it, put some liquid inthe probe, when it all has boiled off, seal the probe.-Chuck HarrisPaul Amaranth wrote:>> -----Mensaje original-----> I had a small, sealed bottle for my probe stored in my freezer.  When I went to fill the> probe, it had all evaporated leaving me with an empty, sealed, bottle.> > This had been repackaged by a list member some years ago when he had acquired a small> amount.> > Butane sounds like a good alternative to me.  From what I can see from a limited search, it> cuts the voltage rating in half compared to R114.  At least the probe is usable at that point.> >   Paul>

Dave Daniel

Hmmm...that prompted me to check mine. I have four original cans in the freezer, all still full.

They unexpectedly came with my P6015 years ago.

DaveD