From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of snapdiode via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2020 9:30 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Why would you do this?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/P6042-Probe-Manual-B-7/174057498026?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3D275a9bf791574af0888ffaf1f52182aa%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D174057498026%26itm%3D174057498026%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276

As we can see the photo of the manual is cropped to hide the spine and cover edge.

I assume the spine is totally cracked and wrecked and the edge is tattered.

But the price is OK, all I want is an answer from the seller, and I've been messaging the seller for a week.

Does anyone have a physical P6042 manual for sale for less than 20$ and reasonable shipping?

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Renée

with all due respect there is a manual on the tek wiki site. although sometimes the scans are not as good as the original, especially the little pictures of waveforms.
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/P6042
print it out and bind it yourself ( fed ex office has same kind of binding) and is a possibility....only added bonus it is not tattered.....
http://w140.com/tek_p6042.pdf

one can get just the plastic binding and replace just that too on an original manual.
Renée

On 8/1/20 9:29 AM, snapdiode via groups.io wrote:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/P6042-Probe-Manual-B-7/174057498026?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3D275a9bf791574af0888ffaf1f52182aa%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D174057498026%26itm%3D174057498026%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276

As we can see the photo of the manual is cropped to hide the spine and cover edge.

I assume the spine is totally cracked and wrecked and the edge is tattered.

But the price is OK, all I want is an answer from the seller, and I've been messaging the seller for a week.

Does anyone have a physical P6042 manual for sale for less than 20$ and reasonable shipping?

snapdiode

I have a CombBind machine and spines in any case, it's just the odd cropping of the pictures that made me suspicious.
Turns out the spine is pretty good and a very clever and handsome person bought the manual.
Oh and he smells good too.

Roy Thistle

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 09:58 AM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

So why would he want to take additional photos for a manual he is selling for
$15.00. I thinking he is doing any member who has a P6042 probe a favor by
offering it at all.
Hi Dennis:
It's refreshing to read your post... since I tend to be cynical about Ebay sellers (and Crag's List et. al. sellers too.)
IMHO 20USD is a good bit! (lt's more than millions, maybe 10s of millions of Americans make in an hour, or even 2 hours.) Thus, for a few minutes work, the seller probably made about 20.00USD. Not Bad, for something he/she got from a dumpster! The seller made some money on the shipping/packing too!... they always do! And, the seller already has an Ebay store... selling toy ships, and shoes, and candle wax... even selling tomatoes, but not kings.
Ebay has copious warnings about buying items based on cropped, or single photos, or even stock photos... and though I am not a Ebay seller..listing items, with such pics, leaves a seller wide open for someone to file a case against them, for "not as shown/described."
Lastly, how much time does it take to push the camera button, a couple more times, to get good documentation!... and why don't some sellers do that?
Best regards and wishes.
Roy

Dave Seiter

Ebay sellers most certainly do not all "make some money" on packaging and shipping!  In fact, since ebay final value includes any shipping cost, they are actually losing money on shipping unless they are hugely padding the shipping amount (and some do, but it seems to mostly be brick and mortar stores with an additional ebay storefront that do so, and the people who think their $20 item is worth $300).
I never pad the cost of shipping, charge for materials (unless the buyer wants something specific that I don't already have), and I refund excess shipping fees when they occur (if more than a few cents).  That's usually due to a listing with fixed shipping that gets purchased by someone local.  I also never use stock photos- like you say, it's asking for trouble unless the item is still shrink wrapped.
-Dave

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 12:51:04 PM PDT, Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@...> wrote:

[...]

David Berlind

I would say that while it's true that not ALL ebay sellers are padding
their revenue through exorbitant shipping fees, the pattern is bad enough
from eBay's perspective that the shipping cost is now included in eBay's
math for the cut it takes from a sale. This used to not be the case and was
almost certainly a response to sellers gaming the system. I remember going
on eBay and seeing things that I was interested in for exceedingly low Buy
it Now prices. Then, I became hip to how the sellers were making it up on
the shipping price because eBay wasn't taking a cut of that. Well, now they
do. For documentation, the shipping should be super cheap thanks to USPS
media mail.

roy.thistle@...> wrote:

[...]

Ebay has been taking a shipping cut for years (not sure how long, probably around 2012?).  I stopped selling scopes because of that, as $120 shipping on an item that might sell for $35 isn't worth the effort (and properly boxing up Tek scopes requires effort!)
-Dave

roy.thistle@...> wrote:

[...]

Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales

In case anyone is unaware, eBay has now cut Paypal out and is forcing it's members to give their financial info to a foreign company or the accounts will be closed.They are ramping that up in groups to be complete by the end of 2020.How does that affect you? Well, you won't be able to use Paypal for purchases or sales. As an eBay seller since they first started up, I have gone from a lover to a hater, because of the way that eBay arbitrarily forces new changes on members.
In the beginning, we sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment. These were mostly sourced from the government (bid on a container) auctions before Government Liquidation.com became the only Mil surplus outlet. Once those guys started selling on their own site, the profit potential disappeared. Well, back to the point.
Today, I despise eBay, to the point of making up new cuss-words. We invested tons of money in programming for automatic handling of our sales thru Paypal. Now, all of that code is worthless.On July 15th, we closed all of our eBay accounts. Good riddance.
I am now retiring (at 78) and still have 30 skids of used electronics and a huge manuals library. I'll be donating the library to the WiKi and selling off the stuff wherever I can find interest.
Change is the only constant.
CmdrDick

roy.thistle@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael W. Lynch

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 09:28 AM, Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales wrote:

In case anyone is unaware, eBay has now cut Paypal out and is forcing it's
members to give their financial info to a foreign company or the accounts will
be closed.
When or If this happens to me, I will also be out. I am only a "small potatoes" seller, but I will not submit my information to a foreign bank, just to stay on E-Bay. PayPal is its own boatload of pirates, but they are my pirates. E-Bay has become more and more difficult to justify as a seller over the years. The rules of use are indeed arbitrary and in some cases even draconian.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Paul Amaranth

What are the alternatives? Ebay was great in the early days; I got a ton of
useful equipment. Not so great these days and I'd love to go somewhere
else.

Paul

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 07:43:22AM -0700, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 09:28 AM, Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales wrote:

In case anyone is unaware, eBay has now cut Paypal out and is forcing it's
members to give their financial info to a foreign company or the accounts will
be closed.
When or If this happens to me, I will also be out. I am only a "small potatoes" seller, but I will not submit my information to a foreign bank, just to stay on E-Bay. PayPal is its own boatload of pirates, but they are my pirates. E-Bay has become more and more difficult to justify as a seller over the years. The rules of use are indeed arbitrary and in some cases even draconian.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

!DSPAM:5f29741362092081140317!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Harvey White

There is a "test equipment for sale" group.  Certainly more limited than Ebay in audience, but you are likely to get people who are more interested in the equipment rather than tube robbers.

Harvey

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 09:51 AM, Paul Amaranth wrote:

What are the alternatives? Ebay was great in the early days; I got a ton of
useful equipment. Not so great these days and I'd love to go somewhere
else.
Paul,

Me Too!

A "needs repair" 465 with no trace, busted up knobs and that looks like it came out of a dumpster; priced at $200 + $100 shipping is too rich for me.

Viable Alternates anyone?

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Richard R. Pope

Hello all,
. . . . I use ebid.net!
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 8/4/2020 9:43 AM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 09:28 AM, Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales wrote:

In case anyone is unaware, eBay has now cut Paypal out and is forcing it's
members to give their financial info to a foreign company or the accounts will
be closed.
When or If this happens to me, I will also be out. I am only a "small potatoes" seller, but I will not submit my information to a foreign bank, just to stay on E-Bay. PayPal is its own boatload of pirates, but they are my pirates. E-Bay has become more and more difficult to justify as a seller over the years. The rules of use are indeed arbitrary and in some cases even draconian.

Dave Seiter

I just looked at that- not a whole lot there I'd want to buy.  Seems like everything I looked up was mostly old advertisements.
-Dave

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 09:30:51 AM PDT, Richard R. Pope <mechanic_2@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave and et al,
Just a thought!
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 8/4/2020 8:33 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
[...]

I appreciate the tip (it was new to me); I keep hoping for a reasonable alternate to ebay, but it would need critical mass before I would browse there regularly or list things myself.
-Dave

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 06:36:19 PM PDT, Richard R. Pope <mechanic_2@...> wrote:

[...]

I know. I have been a seller on ebid for almost 2 decades. I have never sold anything and I have never bought anything. It has always been ebay or for my books amazon. I don't like either one but the alternatives are very slim.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 8/4/2020 8:42 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
[...]

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

eBay will be hard to replace because a marketplace site, and doubly so an
auction marketplace, is a type of site where the network effect is very
strong. In simple terms, it means that a site is popular because it is
popular. Having the most customers makes it more useful for new customers.

mechanic_2@...> wrote:

[...]

Shirley,
Yep!It very hard for a site with 100K people to complete with a site that has 100M people on it.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!