Topics

When a metal pin comes off the back of a CRT

DW

Although I never ran into this situation yet, when dealing with a CRT tube where the metal pins come out the back of the neck to interface with the neck board, suppose one of the metal pins breaks clean off, is it possible to repair or is the tube destroyed

SCMenasian

It might depend on the type of break and the function of the broken pin. If there is some exposed metal from the pin it's function is not high current (i.e. not a cathode heater pin), one might be able to use a bit of conductive epoxy to connect a wire to the broken end of the pin. I would not advise soldering or any other process which involves high temperatures; the chances of cracking the glass-to-metal seal are too great.

DW

Thanks for the reply

This type of incident probably rarely happens where more often the pins just get bent.

I have dealt with removing various plugs and boards off CRT's before, I gently pull on the plug while very slightly rocking around until I work it off. When I install I make sure I am aligned and with a gentle push and slight rocking around I work the plug back on until it is fully seated. This technique seems to be the most gentle with the least amount of force.

Dave Seiter

I've never had an issue with the rear pins, but the deflection pins scare me. I've heard they are delicate, so I'm always really careful when removing and installing their leads.  I bent one on a 7488 once (maybe 30-35º), and bent it back very gently without a failure.  If it was a 7104 crt, I would have probably just left it as is.  If I did it again, I'd probably hold the bent portion stationary and make a new bend further out to get it pointed in the right direction.
-Dave