What's a chat.. and why?

Roy Thistle

Hi:
I saw the post on the 2430A was as a chat?
Do we do that on TekScopes?
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over starting/participating in a thread?
It appears that chats are in the sub-basement of TekScopes.
--
Roy Thistle

Liam Perkins

Exactly . . .

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

Hi:
I saw the post on the 2430A was as a chat?
Do we do that on TekScopes?
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over
starting/participating in a thread?
It appears that chats are in the sub-basement of TekScopes.
--
Roy Thistle

Ondrej Pavelka

I believe it allows people to join online for instant messaging, could be
very helpful for some brain storming or troubleshooting session.

On Mon, 3 May 2021, 01:27 Roy Thistle, <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

Hi:
I saw the post on the 2430A was as a chat?
Do we do that on TekScopes?
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over
starting/participating in a thread?
It appears that chats are in the sub-basement of TekScopes.
--
Roy Thistle

Michael W. Lynch

I did not realize that we could chat, silly me. I just I never paid attention to the menu, skipped right over that part.. Kind of like the "POLL" feature; not used much in this group, but part of the "groups.io" package. I can see the occasional benefit of chat, but chat is not the best way to share to the broader audience on this forum.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

teamlarryohio

Michael, I saw that and thought 'we have 8000 people who read the emails/posts, and about 10 that even knew there was a chat server available.' There are open chats out there from 2018! I think the posting and mailing might be a better way to reach a larger audience :-)
-ls-

You can add me to the list of members who never heard of the Chat feature until now!
It's a good day when you learn something new that might actually be useful in your life.

Without ever having used one here or anywhere else I can see an obvious pro and con to using it. Also, I have a few naive questions for anyone who has used them before.

PRO: A good reason for using Chat would be whenever a topic wanders off into the weeds but people want to continue the discussion for some reason. Switching to a Chat "Room" would be a better solution than politely suggesting they end their conversation.

CON: Whatever is being discussed in the Chat may be of benefit to members who are not aware that there is a discussion going on in a Chat "Room".

QUESTIONS I HAVE:
1) Whenever a new Chat is "Room" is opened do all the members get an automatic notice from Groups.io or is it up to the member who open's the Chat Room to send a notification to all the members?
2) Our archives are readable by non-members. Can they also read the contents of the Chats? If so how do they find them?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

I saw the post on the 2430A was as a chat?
Do we do that on TekScopes?
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over starting/participating in a thread?
It appears that chats are in the sub-basement of TekScopes.
--
Roy Thistle

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Vince Vielhaber

I just checked a group I moderate and the only control is whether it's disabled or who can start a chat. Although I saw nothing that will control if it's visible when you're not logged in or not a member, I looked at some groups I'm NOT in and I don't see chat in any of those. Now whether or not they even have chat enabled, I don't know but it seems to be defaulted to enabled.

Vince.