What's a chat.. and why?

Roy Thistle

Hi:
I saw the post on the 2430A was as a chat?
Do we do that on TekScopes?
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over starting/participating in a thread?
It appears that chats are in the sub-basement of TekScopes.
--
Roy Thistle

Liam Perkins

Exactly . . .

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

Hi:
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over
starting/participating in a thread?
--
Roy Thistle

Ondrej Pavelka

I believe it allows people to join online for instant messaging, could be
very helpful for some brain storming or troubleshooting session.

On Mon, 3 May 2021, 01:27 Roy Thistle, <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

Hi:
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over
starting/participating in a thread?
--
Roy Thistle

Michael W. Lynch

I did not realize that we could chat, silly me. I just I never paid attention to the menu, skipped right over that part.. Kind of like the "POLL" feature; not used much in this group, but part of the "groups.io" package. I can see the occasional benefit of chat, but chat is not the best way to share to the broader audience on this forum.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

teamlarryohio

Michael, I saw that and thought 'we have 8000 people who read the emails/posts, and about 10 that even knew there was a chat server available.' There are open chats out there from 2018! I think the posting and mailing might be a better way to reach a larger audience :-)
-ls-

You can add me to the list of members who never heard of the Chat feature until now!
It's a good day when you learn something new that might actually be useful in your life.

Without ever having used one here or anywhere else I can see an obvious pro and con to using it. Also, I have a few naive questions for anyone who has used them before.

PRO: A good reason for using Chat would be whenever a topic wanders off into the weeds but people want to continue the discussion for some reason. Switching to a Chat "Room" would be a better solution than politely suggesting they end their conversation.

CON: Whatever is being discussed in the Chat may be of benefit to members who are not aware that there is a discussion going on in a Chat "Room".

QUESTIONS I HAVE:
1) Whenever a new Chat is "Room" is opened do all the members get an automatic notice from Groups.io or is it up to the member who open's the Chat Room to send a notification to all the members?
2) Our archives are readable by non-members. Can they also read the contents of the Chats? If so how do they find them?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Roy Thistle
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 4:28 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] What's a chat.. and why?

Hi:
And why would someone want to? ... What's the advantage of that over starting/participating in a thread?
--
Roy Thistle

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Vince Vielhaber

I just checked a group I moderate and the only control is whether it's disabled or who can start a chat. Although I saw nothing that will control if it's visible when you're not logged in or not a member, I looked at some groups I'm NOT in and I don't see chat in any of those. Now whether or not they even have chat enabled, I don't know but it seems to be defaulted to enabled.

Vince.

On 05/04/2021 10:29 AM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
You can add me to the list of members who never heard of the Chat feature until now!
It's a good day when you learn something new that might actually be useful in your life.

Without ever having used one here or anywhere else I can see an obvious pro and con to using it. Also, I have a few naive questions for anyone who has used them before.

PRO: A good reason for using Chat would be whenever a topic wanders off into the weeds but people want to continue the discussion for some reason. Switching to a Chat "Room" would be a better solution than politely suggesting they end their conversation.

CON: Whatever is being discussed in the Chat may be of benefit to members who are not aware that there is a discussion going on in a Chat "Room".

QUESTIONS I HAVE:
1) Whenever a new Chat is "Room" is opened do all the members get an automatic notice from Groups.io or is it up to the member who open's the Chat Room to send a notification to all the members?
2) Our archives are readable by non-members. Can they also read the contents of the Chats? If so how do they find them?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Roy Thistle
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 4:28 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] What's a chat.. and why?

Hi:

nielsentelecom@sbcglobal.net

Per the Members handbook for Groups.io;
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Understanding the Chats feature

In Premium and Enterprise groups, and in legacy Basic groups (those created before August 24, 2020), Groups.io provides a Chats feature that members can use to create and participate in interactive chats on a group’s website in real time. Be aware that:

Group owners determine whether the Chats feature is available in their groups and, if it is, who can create new chats: all members or only owners and moderators.
When someone creates a chat, Groups.io sends an email notification to group members. After that, ongoing activity in the chat does not generate additional email notifications. Members must log in to Groups.io to participate in and monitor chats.
All group members can participate in chats. Groups.io does not provide a “private” chat option that allows chat creators to restrict chats to subsets of group members.
In some web browsers, the Chat page does not display activity in real time. To see new chat content, members might need to refresh the Chat page periodically.
The Chat page does not display any indication that someone is composing a response. Participants do not see that chat activity is occurring until someone actually posts their response.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, here are my thoughts;

So, maybe if a topic is OT such as this one, Chat would be the best medium? It would not clog up the Topics with unrelated stuff? Or rather than someone say 'PM me', start a Chat. If someone else is mildly interested they can join in the chat to follow it. Makes sense to me if there is no private info being exchanged.

NielsenTelecom

Roy Thistle

Hi:
This is in essence what I imagined the "chat" option was... though, it's a bit weaker in the flesh than other implementations.
A couple of things:
I'm not satisfied that if I use chat... that any TekScopers will join in. (That question was kind of implicit in my OP.)
Next, why is this topic/thread OT... if its about features and benefits of the TekScopes forum... it seems to me I shouldn't have to OP about it on Reddit. Right?

--
Roy Thistle

Vince Vielhaber

I thought it was funny he called it OT as well, since Dennis started this particular topic!!

Vince.

On 05/04/2021 05:26 PM, Roy Thistle wrote:
Hi:
This is in essence what I imagined the "chat" option was... though, it's a bit weaker in the flesh than other implementations.
A couple of things:
I'm not satisfied that if I use chat... that any TekScopers will join in. (That question was kind of implicit in my OP.)
Next, why is this topic/thread OT... if its about features and benefits of the TekScopes forum... it seems to me I shouldn't have to OP about it on Reddit. Right?

nielsentelecom@sbcglobal.net

You both have a point,,, but I'm always telling myself that I'm right all the time,,, and my wife she says, well that's waaay OT now!

This would be a great topic for a group about Groups.Io on Groups.Io usage best practices etc. Maybe there is one!

I have a sneaky feeling the Moderator is going to give me the boot now despite the reassurances that he is the OP!

NielsenTelecom