Topics

what is this

snapdiode
 

momemeca
 

This is a standard carry / shipping / storage case which could be used for any "standard" 500-series plug-ins.
These are just cases, therefore not powered ...etc. The later versions have a "nutsert" on the lower rear panel which allows the plug-in to be securely fastened using the existing thumbscrew on the front panel.
I have three or four in my Tektronix collection to store the most delicate plug-ins when not in use.
Hope this helps :-)

Cheers,

Rick
Melbourne (AUS)

On 19 May 2020, at 11:39, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Tektronix-Type-1S1-Wide-Band-Sampling-Unit-for-500-Series-Oscilloscope/264639700752?hash=item3d9dc15f10:g:xn0AAOSw5WReTGq7

We see the 1S1 in a stylish metal carrying case. Never seen that before.


snapdiode
 

Thanks, does it have a part number? I don't see this case in "Oscilloscopes Selecting and Restoring a Classic", or on tekwiki.
Was it a Tektronix part or third party?

momemeca
 

None of mine have a traditional Tektronix name/model plate.
Beyond owning and using them I do not know much about who manufactured it ...etc.
They do, however, feature the traditional Tektronix metalwork style, feel and colour (of course).
Perhaps Chuck could shed some light on its provenance?

Cheers,
Rick

On 19 May 2020, at 14:44, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks, does it have a part number? I don't see this case in "Oscilloscopes Selecting and Restoring a Classic", or on tekwiki.
Was it a Tektronix part or third party?


 

Hi SnapDiode,

Tek made these for, among other things, their sales engineers to use when carrying a plugin to a customer's site.
Tek made them for many of their products.
They are extremely rare.
None of mine have part numbers on them.
At the highest levels of Tek I 'm sure someone in charge of having these made understood the importance of making a good first impression. As a Tek field engineer was arriving at a customer's offices or about to begin a demonstration these carrying cases communicated the professionalism and excellence that Tek applied to all of their products.
I have two double wide carrying cases for 7000 plugins and I also have a triple wide 7000 carrying case. I have yet to find a single wide 7000 carrying case.
I also have a single wide carrying case for TM500 plugins.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of snapdiode via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 9:45 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] what is this

Thanks, does it have a part number? I don't see this case in "Oscilloscopes Selecting and Restoring a Classic", or on tekwiki.
Was it a Tektronix part or third party?





--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Dave Casey
 

While certainly not common, these things aren't that mysterious; they're in
the catalogs toward the back.

The 1-series carrying case is part number 437-0065-00 (see 1969 catalog
page 374 for a picture, it's still listed in 1977 but no photo).
I have a 3-wide 7k storage case that one of my 7L18s came in. It is part
number 016-0626-00.
The 2-wide is 016-0625-00. (Both are listed in the 1985 catalog on page
461).

Dave Casey

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:04 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF>
wrote:

Hi SnapDiode,

Tek made these for, among other things, their sales engineers to use when
carrying a plugin to a customer's site.
Tek made them for many of their products.
They are extremely rare.
None of mine have part numbers on them.
At the highest levels of Tek I 'm sure someone in charge of having these
made understood the importance of making a good first impression. As a Tek
field engineer was arriving at a customer's offices or about to begin a
demonstration these carrying cases communicated the professionalism and
excellence that Tek applied to all of their products.
I have two double wide carrying cases for 7000 plugins and I also have a
triple wide 7000 carrying case. I have yet to find a single wide 7000
carrying case.
I also have a single wide carrying case for TM500 plugins.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of
snapdiode via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 9:45 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] what is this

Thanks, does it have a part number? I don't see this case in
"Oscilloscopes Selecting and Restoring a Classic", or on tekwiki.
Was it a Tektronix part or third party?





--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator



 

Hi Dave,
Thanks for pointing out that the 7000 series 2 wide and 3 wide Carrying Cases are listed in the 1985 catalog.
I never would have found them without your help for lots of reasons: there is no picture of them; they are buried on the very last page of the catalog; and there are hundreds of other things listed on this page in tiny print.
It appears Tek didn't make a single wide carrying case for the 7000 series. This explains why I have never found one.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Casey
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:12 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] what is this

While certainly not common, these things aren't that mysterious; they're in the catalogs toward the back.

The 1-series carrying case is part number 437-0065-00 (see 1969 catalog page 374 for a picture, it's still listed in 1977 but no photo).
I have a 3-wide 7k storage case that one of my 7L18s came in. It is part number 016-0626-00.
The 2-wide is 016-0625-00. (Both are listed in the 1985 catalog on page 461).

Dave Casey

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:04 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF>
wrote:

Hi SnapDiode,

Tek made these for, among other things, their sales engineers to use
when carrying a plugin to a customer's site.
Tek made them for many of their products.
They are extremely rare.
None of mine have part numbers on them.
At the highest levels of Tek I 'm sure someone in charge of having
these made understood the importance of making a good first
impression. As a Tek field engineer was arriving at a customer's
offices or about to begin a demonstration these carrying cases
communicated the professionalism and excellence that Tek applied to all of their products.
I have two double wide carrying cases for 7000 plugins and I also have
a triple wide 7000 carrying case. I have yet to find a single wide
7000 carrying case.
I also have a single wide carrying case for TM500 plugins.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of
snapdiode via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 9:45 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] what is this

Thanks, does it have a part number? I don't see this case in
"Oscilloscopes Selecting and Restoring a Classic", or on tekwiki.
Was it a Tektronix part or third party?





--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator







--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

David DiGiacomo
 

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:58 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF
<@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF> wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that the 7000 series 2 wide and 3 wide Carrying Cases are listed in the 1985 catalog.
I never would have found them without your help for lots of reasons: there is no picture of them; they are buried on the very last page of the catalog; and there are hundreds of other things listed on this page in tiny print.
It appears Tek didn't make a single wide carrying case for the 7000 series. This explains why I have never found one.
How about the 437-0106-00?

http://www.davmar.org/images/TE/Tek437-0106-00.jpg

Mark Pilant
 

Curiosity got me :-)

How about the 437-0106-00?
Looking on the Tek wiki:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7M11

Says the 437-0106-00 was a carrying case for the 7M11.

- Mark N1VQW

David DiGiacomo
 

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Mark Pilant <mark@...> wrote:

Curiosity got me :-)

> How about the 437-0106-00?

Looking on the Tek wiki:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7M11
Sure it says that, but it looks like a general purpose case to me.

Dave Casey
 

The difference being that the 437-0106-00 allows front panel access so it
could be used for storage or operating the 7M11 outside of a mainframe
(since the 7M11 doesn't need power). The other 7k cases we've been
mentioning are geared even more specifically for storage as they have
latching doors to protect the front panels.
On the same catalog page/section there's a rack mount case that stores six
7k plugins for easy access.

Dave Casey

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:36 PM David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@...>
wrote:

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Mark Pilant <mark@...> wrote:

Curiosity got me :-)

> How about the 437-0106-00?

Looking on the Tek wiki:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7M11
Sure it says that, but it looks like a general purpose case to me.



 

Hi David and Dave,
There is no reason the 437-0106-00 can't be used to house any single wide 7000 plugin. Its's original purpose is explained on page 25 of the August 1969 New Product Supplement. On that page it specifically mentions the 437-0106-00 is for use with the 7M11 which is introduced as a new product in that supplement.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Casey
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:45 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] what is this

The difference being that the 437-0106-00 allows front panel access so it could be used for storage or operating the 7M11 outside of a mainframe (since the 7M11 doesn't need power). The other 7k cases we've been mentioning are geared even more specifically for storage as they have latching doors to protect the front panels.
On the same catalog page/section there's a rack mount case that stores six 7k plugins for easy access.

Dave Casey

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:36 PM David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@...>
wrote:

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Mark Pilant <mark@...> wrote:

Curiosity got me :-)

> How about the 437-0106-00?

Looking on the Tek wiki:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7M11
Sure it says that, but it looks like a general purpose case to me.







--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

s.r.bell@...
 

Dennis,

Tek made a single-wide case for the 7M11 plug-in. It has a handle on top so I guess it would also qualify as a carrying case.

I have one with my 7M11 but I don't see an identifying part number anywhere on it.

Stephen Bell

snapdiode
 

Needless to say I am upset that the existence of this case was unknown to me, and that I missed that affordable auction.

Who wants to sell me a case??

 

Hi David,
You have surprised me and educated me for the second time today.

In my original email I said I had a carrying case for a single TM500 plugin. What you show on your web site:
http://www.davmar.org/images/TE/Tek437-0106-00.jpg
is what I thought was my TM500 carrying case because it was much shorter than the other two carrying cases (which added 3" to 4" to the length).

Obviously as you pointed out, it is for 7000 plugins. It must have a limited purpose since it is not a carrying case and it can't power a plugin. That makes it only useful for protecting a 7M11 Dual Delay Line while it is being used since A 7M11 does not require power and does not need to use up a valuable slot to perform its function.
Mark Pilant confirmed that TekWiki says it is for the 7M11.
Dave Casey explained why it has no cover and that there is a rackmount 6 wide unit that can store 6 plugins.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of David DiGiacomo
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:54 AM
To: TekScopes <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] what is this

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:58 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF> wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that the 7000 series 2 wide and 3 wide Carrying Cases are listed in the 1985 catalog.
I never would have found them without your help for lots of reasons: there is no picture of them; they are buried on the very last page of the catalog; and there are hundreds of other things listed on this page in tiny print.
It appears Tek didn't make a single wide carrying case for the 7000 series. This explains why I have never found one.
How about the 437-0106-00?

http://www.davmar.org/images/TE/Tek437-0106-00.jpg





--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator