What is a TD-1159/U

I've got a junker 7k time base that I bought as a parts mule. It is missing the release handle, but has a sticker on the side that indicates it is a TD-1159/U. The front panel controls look like a 7B53A, but there is no mention of the TD-1159/U on the TekWiki (only the TD-1085/U, which is the military version of the 7B53AN11). Removing the side panels reveal the sweep, trigger, and readout boards expected in a 7B53A.

Has anybody seen one of these before?

-- Jeff Dutky

David Holland

Not I... But it appears to be just a bog standard 7B53A...

Googling the part number (TD-1159/U) turns up this NSN off an army.mil
site: 6625-00-261-5139

From there:

https://www.parttarget.com/6625-00-261-5139_6625002615139_100331-9007-103.html

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 4:39 AM Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a junker 7k time base that I bought as a parts mule. It is missing the release handle, but has a sticker on the side that indicates it is a TD-1159/U. The front panel controls look like a 7B53A, but there is no mention of the TD-1159/U on the TekWiki (only the TD-1085/U, which is the military version of the 7B53AN11). Removing the side panels reveal the sweep, trigger, and readout boards expected in a 7B53A.

Has anybody seen one of these before?

-- Jeff Dutky

Carl Hallberg

How many do you want to buy?

On Monday, October 18, 2021, 03:39:15 AM CDT, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a junker 7k time base that I bought as a parts mule. It is missing the release handle, but has a sticker on the side that indicates it is a TD-1159/U. The front panel controls look like a 7B53A, but there is no mention of the TD-1159/U on the TekWiki (only the TD-1085/U, which is the military version of the 7B53AN11). Removing the side panels reveal the sweep, trigger, and readout boards expected in a 7B53A.

Has anybody seen one of these before?

-- Jeff Dutky

Dave,

Yes, that is what I surmised. Mine is in poor condition, but it will serve my intended purpose.

Carl,

I'm kind of up to my ears in 7B53As already, with two parts mules out eight units, and only five 7000-series scopes to use them in (only three of which are working).

I was merely amazed that TekWiki had nothing to say about the part number.

-- Jeff Dutky

Dave Wise

Please update the wiki.

Dave Wise

Yes, that is what I surmised. Mine is in poor condition, but it will serve my intended purpose.

Carl,

I'm kind of up to my ears in 7B53As already, with two parts mules out eight units, and only five 7000-series scopes to use them in (only three of which are working).

I was merely amazed that TekWiki had nothing to say about the part number.

-- Jeff Dutky

I have updated the wiki.

Roy Thistle

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 03:36 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

I have updated the wiki.
Hi Jeff:
Unless you've been busy... Tekwiki knows more than we sometimes think.

TD-1159/U is mentioned (and speced out) as either a
"DUAL TIME BASE TEKTRONIX TYPES 7B53AN OPT 5 AND OPT 11S, 7B53A, AND TD-1159/U"
on page 3 of the following document

https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/c/c0/TB-9-6625-2024-35.pdf

The above document is the Department of Army (U.S. Army) Technical Bulletin TB 9-6625-2024-35
According to that bulletin, TD-1159/U can be used in (at least) OS-245(P)/U oscilloscope, AND TEKTRONIX TYPES 7603, 7603N oscilloscope
Tekwiki has a manual for the OS-245(P)/U at

https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/a/a6/070-1866-00.pdf

On pg 2-9,of the above document, it mentions that OS-245(P/N) oscilloscopes can use a 7B53A or TD-1085/U (... which I believe I've seen.)
On pg vi, there is a picture of the funky OS-245(P)/U, with louvred side panel(s)

--
Roy Thistle

Roy Thistle wrote:

Unless you've been busy...
No, all I did was add one line to the 7B53 page mentioning the TD-1159/U, right after the sentence that mentions the TD-1085/U. That appears to be all that's needed for the wiki to redirect you to that page if you search on "TD-1159/U" or "TD-1159", and that's all I was concerned with (getting people to the right page with the part number).

-- Jeff Dutky