What do you do when you get a call from AUSTRALIA

Yesterday was a really nice day.
The temperature was perfect, the sun was out.
I was on the deck of our little summer house working on my computer.
In front of me across an inlet of Puget Sound I can see snow covered Mt
Rainer 40 miles away.

Suddenly my cell phone rings.
Annoyed! I pick it up to look at the screen and it says in all capital
letters:
AUSTRALIA
Underneath that seemingly giant word is a strangely formatted phone number.
That strange format could only belong to an international telephone number.

This is exactly what my brain said to me in the next 2 seconds between the
2nd and the 3rd ring.
"Holy Crap!"
"It's a mistake"
"I don't know anyone in Australia"
"It's a robo-call. It must be"
"Wait a minute, nobody makes robo-calls from Australia"
"The number format means it really might be coming from Australia"
"Why would anyone want to call me from Australia"
"It's a new trick by the robo-callers to get people to answer and listen to
their recordings"
"They must have mis-dialed"
"They accidentally sat on their phone and pressed a bunch of numbers at
random"
"I don't know anyone in Australia" (that was the second time my brain said
this to me to make sure I got the point)

Then my brain shut up for a moment while it waited to see what I would do
next.
I realized someone probably went to a lot of trouble to find me. So I
answered.

ARGH! It was someone from TekScopes who was very concerned that I was OK
because I disappeared about 4 weeks ago without a trace. We had a very long
talk about what was going on. I was in a depression and couldn't get out of
it. I was overwhelmed with all the things going on in my life - most of them
it seemed to me were going badly. I have suffered from depression almost my
entire life. Until I was in my late 40s I had no idea this was the case. By
then I spent several years in therapy with several different therapists and
eventually one Psychiatrist I was seeing worked out the right balance of
medications for me to take for the rest of my life to help me avoid falling
into another depression. Depression is a learned behavior and the real
danger about it is that the more it happens to you the easier it is to
become depressed. Once I am in one it is like a trap and I can't get out.

But the phone call and the conversation I had with the caller - he said his
name so fast I didn't have a chance to get it was wonderful. He understood
completely what I was going through. That call made it possible to spend
most of today catching up on my email and facing the world once again. I'm
still a little shaky (mentally) but I think (I hope) I will be on my feet
again (mentally) in a few days.

In the meantime I would like to thank Michael Dunn for covering for me. He
and I both agree I could use help with TekScopes because it beginning to
take up too much of my time (that was one of the things I was not able to
spend enough time on but I didn't know how to fix it).

Give me a few days to get caught up
Dennis Tillman W7pF
Thank you for your concern!!!
That really means a lot to me.
I'm happy to be back!!!
Who was it that called me all the way from Australia. I need to thank them
personally.

Richard R. Pope

Dennis,
GOD Bless you!
rich!

On 7/11/2021 11:37 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

We are all glad that you are well, aside, of course, from the depression, and we look forward to reading you entertaining entries on the group (this one being no exception, well written and amusing).

Depression is a hell of a thing. It contrives to make you think that the pathological way you feel is entirely justified and rational, and even when you KNOW that you suffer from depression, the lies it tells you are still damn convincing.

Depression is a big part of why I wound up on TekScopes. I too have suffered from it most of my life (ever since adolescence) and it was really getting the better of me about half way through the pandemic lock down. It was keeping me up all night, and in an attempt to deal with the sadness I started digging through my father's effects. Almost the first thing I found was Motorola 6809 single board computer that my father had purchased in the late 70s and used to teach himself about microcomputers. In order to debug this ancient bit of technology, I dragged out my father's oscilloscopes (a 475 and a 2213) and began poking around the CPU bus to see what was what.

Everything was going swimmingly for a few weeks until one day the 475 lost it's horizontal sweep. While researching how to repair the sweep circuit on the 475 I discovered the TekScopes group, and the rest is a tale of almost entirely unalloyed joy. However, I have gone through several bouts of depression since joining he group last year, often coinciding with a failure to repair one or another instrument I have acquired since joining TekScopes. There was one bout that was precipitated by a scope that was destroyed in shipping, and another by my failure to make progress repairing the 7623A. I don't actually believe that the depression is the result of these failures and setbacks, but that it latches onto them and amplifies the feelings of disappointment and inadequacy, and things can rapidly spiral out of control from there.

It's good that you have found medication that works, but I have also found that a little positive human contact works wonders as well. We do appreciate all that you do for this community. I also appreciate your writing, which has a delightful blend of expertise and humor, and look forward to finding each new post by you in the group.

-- Jeff Dutky

EricJ

Dennis, glad you are feeling better, I hope you continue to feel even better. I have been there myself with health issues and getting like things would never get better, so I know how it goes sometimes. The gentleman who rang you up was Chris van Lint. We were all happy to hear from him that you were all right.--EricSent from my Galaxy

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> Date: 7/11/21 11:38 PM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: [TekScopes] What do you do when you get a call from AUSTRALIA Yesterday was a really nice day. The temperature was perfect, the sun was out. I was on the deck of our little summer house working on my computer. In front of me across an inlet of Puget Sound I can see snow covered MtRainer 40 miles away. Suddenly my cell phone rings. Annoyed! I pick it up to look at the screen and it says in all capitalletters:    AUSTRALIAUnderneath that seemingly giant word is a strangely formatted phone number.That strange format could only belong to an international telephone number. This is exactly what my brain said to me in the next 2 seconds between the2nd and the 3rd ring."Holy Crap!""It's a mistake""I don't know anyone in Australia""It's a robo-call. It must be""Wait a minute, nobody makes robo-calls from Australia""The number format means it really might be coming from Australia""Why would anyone want to call me from Australia""It's a new trick by the robo-callers to get people to answer and listen totheir recordings" "They must have mis-dialed""They accidentally sat on their phone and pressed a bunch of numbers atrandom" "I don't know anyone in Australia" (that was the second time my brain saidthis to me to make sure I got the point)Then my brain shut up for a moment while it waited to see what I would donext. I realized someone probably went to a lot of trouble to find me. So Ianswered.ARGH! It was someone from TekScopes who was very concerned that I was OKbecause I disappeared about 4 weeks ago without a trace. We had a very longtalk about what was going on. I was in a depression and couldn't get out ofit. I was overwhelmed with all the things going on in my life - most of themit seemed to me were going badly. I have suffered from depression almost myentire life. Until I was in my late 40s I had no idea this was the case. Bythen I spent several years in therapy with several different therapists andeventually one Psychiatrist I was seeing worked out the right balance ofmedications for me to take for the rest of my life to help me avoid fallinginto another depression. Depression is a learned behavior and the realdanger about it is that the more it happens to you the easier it is tobecome depressed. Once I am in one it is like a trap and I can't get out. But the phone call and the conversation I had with the caller - he said hisname so fast I didn't have a chance to get it was wonderful. He understoodcompletely what I was going through. That call made it possible to spendmost of today catching up on my email and facing the world once again. I'mstill a little shaky (mentally) but I think (I hope) I will be on my feetagain (mentally) in a few days.In the meantime I would like to thank Michael Dunn for covering for me. Heand I both agree I could use help with TekScopes because it beginning totake up too much of my time (that was one of the things I was not able tospend enough time on but I didn't know how to fix it).Give me a few days to get caught upDennis Tillman W7pFThank you for your concern!!! That really means a lot to me.I'm happy to be back!!!Who was it that called me all the way from Australia. I need to thank thempersonally.

Tom Lee

Dear Dennis,

All of us are relieved and happy to hear from you -- thank you for posting!

As to the Dark Cloud Demon, I recommend more geeking out with your many friends here, to supplement your meds.

-- Cheers,
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 7/11/2021 21:37, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Mlynch001

Dennis,

So happy to learn that you are doing better. Praying that you can stay out of the spiral that is debilitation depression.

Sincerely,
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Hi Dennis,
I'm so glad you were helped by a member who took the time to give you a call - probably at great expense.

I had a bad accident in 2005 that changed my life. Several people I interacted with on another web site where I am a moderator sent me messages, and that helped. What really helped was a two pronged thing. First, some called me as you were called. The best thing was I resumed helping people on that web site. The very best medicine is helping total strangers - or acquaintances with your skill set.

Today I am able to do more, but has severe limitations to deal with. My wife died a year and change ago, but continuing to help people has allowed me to get through all this. Today I have a girlfriend and things are looking pretty good. This would not be possible without the opportunity to lend a hand to my fellow human being. Just know you are appreciated and people care for your well being. You do make a difference in people's lives Dennis.

-Chris

Ananda

Dennis,

Glad to hear you are OK. I was silently praying that we will hear from you at some point. Please do take care of yourself. Staying involved should also help you to a great extent. When I feel overwhelmed, I simply go to my "office room" Where I have my work table and start something new or sort out parts, nut and bolts etc. to make me relax. Hey, the time is well spent also!

With best wishes and kind regards.

Ananda

I would like to second Ananda's suggestion of "puttering" as a treatment, if not a cure, for depression. Just as it is helpful to have several tasks (in a hobby, or at work) that engage different "gears" of the intellect, so that when you have exhausted one mode of thinking you can rest while exercising another (for me, at work, it's the difference between hard analytic problems, like writing a new program, or analyzing existing program code, and writing a set of data for test cases, which is voluminous and detailed, but does not require the same kind of intense concentration that reading and understanding program code does).

When I'm depressed I find it hard, if not impossible, to concentrate on analytical tasks, but I can do more "menial" tasks, like sorting through piles of things. One of my own therapy activities, since I joined TekScopes, was to buy a pack of 50 cardboard stock boxes, and whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed with things (literal things, as is piles of loose stuff) I pull out a couple of stock boxes and start filling them with items that go together in some category. Then I label the filled box with the category name. It combats the depression both by giving me something to focus on, and by reducing the clutter in my office: the palpable progress gives me some kind of dopamine hit, or something.

This is just a bit of "self medication" that I've learned over the course of decades. I wonder if this is something that is recognized in therapy circles.

-- Jeff Dutky

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 05:05 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

When I'm depressed I find it hard, if not impossible, to concentrate on
analytical tasks, but I can do more "menial" tasks, like sorting through piles
of things. One of my own therapy activities, since I joined TekScopes, was to
buy a pack of 50 cardboard stock boxes, and whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed
with things (literal things, as is piles of loose stuff) I pull out a couple
of stock boxes and start filling them with items that go together in some
category. Then I label the filled box with the category name. It combats the
depression both by giving me something to focus on, and by reducing the
clutter in my office: the palpable progress gives me some kind of dopamine
hit, or something.

This is just a bit of "self medication" that I've learned over the course of
decades. I wonder if this is something that is recognized in therapy circles.
While I highly respect everyone's well-meant involvement and attempts to help, at the early stages of what might evolve into a long off-topic thread, I'll throw my 2 cents at it and recommend strongly against going this path any further, for the following reasons:
- It's completely off-topic
- It objectifies Dennis and his experiences
- Contents of posts may spread uncontrollably
- With Dennis being our moderator, how/when can/should he moderate and cut the off-topic thread, should he decide in favor of that?
- The familiar lack of distinction between being depressed and (clinical) depression, common with laymen and non-patients, already popped up. These are *very* different things. From what Dennis told us, it's extremely likely that the latter applies to him. Again, I recommend - without any authority to enforce - to not touch this.

More in general, I'm strongly against home-brew psychological or even psychiatric musings or advice.

I very strongly feel that we've helped Dennis so far, which led him to open up. That's where to stop.

Raymond

Vince Vielhaber

Great hearing from you again Dennis!

Vince.

On 07/12/2021 12:37 AM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Michigan VHF Corporation -- nobucks dot net
K8ZW - http://www.hamradio.fun

Harvey White

It can be helpful to mix long term complex projects with some short term things where you can point at an immediate (or close) success.  Sometimes you get tired of working on the same thing for month after month.

Harvey

On 7/12/2021 11:05 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:
[...]

pdxareaid

Glad you are ok Dennis. Your 1st post displayed a great sense of humor concerning all this - much respect.

my 2 cent response to a great list:
- It's completely off-topic
# yes, but the humanity frequently displayed in this forum is not.
- It objectifies Dennis and his experiences
# BINGO
- Contents of posts may spread uncontrollably
# What? BTW: my cat... more later :-)
- With Dennis being our moderator, how/when can/should he moderate and cut the off-topic thread, should he decide in favor of that?
# Very insightful!
- The familiar lack of distinction between being depressed and (clinical) depression, common with laymen and non-patients, already popped up. These are *very* different things. From what Dennis told us, it's extremely likely that the latter applies to him. Again, I recommend - without any authority to enforce - to not touch this.
# Agree. See objectified comment above.

One note if I may: (from personal experience without making this about me) While knowing one is not alone is very helpful, there is the potential for well meaning concern becoming a burden, requiring response at a time when response is difficult. And there is the privacy issue that might be difficult to fathom unless you have been the object of inquiry, though I bet many here get that, having been around long enough to have their own stories.

JRN

W7pF,

when I began with Tektronix some years ago, one of the 1st names I've read was yours. I did't know TekScopes at that time.

Some thoughts:
Wouldn't it be good to...
- have one, two or three more moderators to divide work?
- find people who can help with TekScopes specific computer problems?
- talk with real friends face to face in private?
- sort SCRs or label boxes sometimes?
- not forget that many people want to help?

All the best

Joe

Hello,

so I am very glad to hear from Dennis today. I think I was not the only one who was more than a little concerned primarily as we all have heard about that heat wave and other hazardous conditions in the western US right now.
And I am very glad once again knowing this community consists of people who care!

Regards, Joe

nj902

Dennis,

I am glad you are OK.

Have some fun. Get yourself a new to you Tektronix instrument like a DSA or RTSA and occupy your mind with learning new things!

Robert Simpson

Dennis,
Our best thoughts and feelings for you. I hope you can feel the good vibes this group has for you.
Best wishes,
Bob

Dennis,
G-d bless you!

There is no better cure for depression, than hanging out with a few good men, and opening up.
At the end of the day, we're all just a bunch of f... jerks, battling through life.

It's much easier, and much more fun to not do it alone.

Hi Dennis,
funny post, and I'm glad you're doing as well as you're doing. It can
be tough, I know from experience. If there's anything we can do let us
know. Chris called you but he was acting in name of all of us here.
Just know you're always welcome here, whether feeling good or feeling
crap. If you're feeling really really bad please don't hesitate to
reach out. Always there to help. I don't think anyone on the list
would object to anyone on the forum to reaching out like this, to talk
to the fine folks on the forum.

I wanted to suggest something else, too. If we're feeling a bit more
generous with our contacts here, maybe we should also consider a voice
and real-time chat option to talk. I suggest setting up a Discord
server. If people here are OK with this idea I will post a link to a
discord server. It doesn't cost anything. Just want to know if people
are fine with it.

Cheers

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 6:37 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

[...]

Nenad Filipovic

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 6:37 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:
Give me a few days to get caught up
Dennis Tillman W7pF
Thank you for your concern!!!
That really means a lot to me.
I'm happy to be back!!!
Who was it that called me all the way from Australia. I need to thank them
personally.
Hi Dennis, I'm glad you're OK and back with us. I second everything the rest of the group has said, especially the invitation to reach out. I hope the number of replies in this thread is enough of a proof that even if you don't feel like it (socializing), group members won't forget about you and will give comfort and support.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 04:13 AM, cheater cheater wrote:
I wanted to suggest something else, too. If we're feeling a bit more
generous with our contacts here, maybe we should also consider a voice
and real-time chat option to talk. I suggest setting up a Discord
server. If people here are OK with this idea I will post a link to a
discord server. It doesn't cost anything. Just want to know if people
are fine with it.
I think this may be a very good idea. Compared to other voice/video messengers, Discord is less invasive and gives the ability to limit yourself only to those features you find suitable (e.g. only chat and messages if voice/video calls are too much hassle for you). It might bring modern air to the group and serve multiple purposes - people would be able to assist each other in real time and with the aid of a camera, or just use the plain old text chat. Would be good to hear what think, perhaps it deserves a thread of its own?

Best regards,
Nenad FIlipovic