Topics

What are 012-0057 and 012-057 Coax Cable used for?

I was going through the coax cables I have looking for one I could cut the
BNC off one end when I noticed two of the cables have Tek part numbers on
them.
Both cables are 42" long.
One cable has a Tek band around it (I have seen these before on Tek cables)
that says
TEKTRONIX
COAX CABLE ASSEM
Z0 = 50 OHM
012-0057-01.
The other one has a white plastic clip (I have seen these on Tek cables
before) on one end that has less room on it. It says
50 OHM 012-057
BNC CONN

I think both cables are the same 012-0057-01. Does anyone know what product
they came with or what they are intended for?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Eric

I know they are specified in most of the scope calibration documents for scopes 400 series and 7000 series. The cal documents call for 2. I think they are just a high quality 42 inch cable. With a tight tolerance on the 50 Ohm Z

Eric

On 10/29/2020 1:36 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
I was going through the coax cables I have looking for one I could cut the
BNC off one end when I noticed two of the cables have Tek part numbers on
them.
Both cables are 42" long.
One cable has a Tek band around it (I have seen these before on Tek cables)
that says
TEKTRONIX
COAX CABLE ASSEM
Z0 = 50 OHM
012-0057-01.
The other one has a white plastic clip (I have seen these on Tek cables
before) on one end that has less room on it. It says
50 OHM 012-057
BNC CONN

I think both cables are the same 012-0057-01. Does anyone know what product
they came with or what they are intended for?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

Jean-Paul

Dennis hello, I agree with Eric, believe they were for SG503, spec 1% Zo and low VSWR to perhaps 500 MHz stiffer than normal cables due to type of coax insulation and shielding.

I Should return to my lab next week, could you send a photo of the ends?

Bonsoir

jon

Eric

Jon I thought they were for the 503 as well but that cable has a different
part number. 12-0482-XX

Eric

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 2:54 PM Jean-Paul <jonpaul@...> wrote:

Dennis hello, I agree with Eric, believe they were for SG503, spec 1% Zo
and low VSWR to perhaps 500 MHz stiffer than normal cables due to type of
coax insulation and shielding.

I Should return to my lab next week, could you send a photo of the ends?

Bonsoir

jon

Clark Foley

Dennis,

That part number(012-0057-01) is active at the Tek web site but I cannot find details about it. The URL link is below. It appears to be an ordinary, high-priced accessory. A precision cable is shown as "012-0482-00 - 36 in., precision (1%) male-to-male."

https://www.tek.com/datasheet/probe-accessory-bonus-packs-test-leads-cables

Dave Casey

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 0057 is just a common RG-58 cable. They're often
spec'd for running from the front to the rear in rack mount installations
and for general purpose use in test procedures. Applications needing
tighter tolerances specify the 0482.

Dave Casey

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 2:21 PM Clark Foley <clarkfoley@...> wrote:

Dennis,

That part number(012-0057-01) is active at the Tek web site but I cannot
find details about it. The URL link is below. It appears to be an
ordinary, high-priced accessory. A precision cable is shown as
"012-0482-00 - 36 in., precision (1%) male-to-male."

https://www.tek.com/datasheet/probe-accessory-bonus-packs-test-leads-cables

Clark Foley

It is a very prestigious person who has Tektronix printed on common coax cables! You are the envy of all.

Jack Reynolds

Hi Dennis,

I agree that the 012-0057-01 is a more generic cable and not meant for the SG-503 which does specify the 012-0482-00.  However when you did your TDR study in an attempt to settle the quesstion of the uniqueness of the 012-0487-00, I believe it was the 012-0057-01 which was one of the cables you used for comparison. You may want to look back at your data to find out how different it is.

Jack

On 10/29/2020 3:37 PM, Dave Casey wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 0057 is just a common RG-58 cable. They're often
spec'd for running from the front to the rear in rack mount installations
and for general purpose use in test procedures. Applications needing
tighter tolerances specify the 0482.

Dave Casey

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 2:21 PM Clark Foley <clarkfoley@...> wrote:

Dennis,

That part number(012-0057-01) is active at the Tek web site but I cannot
find details about it. The URL link is below. It appears to be an
ordinary, high-priced accessory. A precision cable is shown as
"012-0482-00 - 36 in., precision (1%) male-to-male."

https://www.tek.com/datasheet/probe-accessory-bonus-packs-test-leads-cables

Jean-Paul

Hello again, SG503 cables are 0.5 m ~ 19.5" but Dennis has 42" so definitely not the SG503 cable

They are very useful in calibration of pulse and HF response. Richard Cabot was selling a bunch on epay, I got 6.

Jon

Hi Jon,
Actually Eric didn't mention the SG503 at all. The cable the SG503 uses is a 012-0482-00 which I evaluated a few years ago. The results of that evaluation are in our archives at
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Evaluation%20of%20the%20Tektronix%20012-0482-00%20cable%20for%20the%20SG503%20REVISED%20and%20UPDATED.pdf
Eric said the 012-0057-01 is specified in most of the scope calibration documents for scopes 400 series and 7000 series. The cal documents call for 2. I think they are just a high quality 42 inch cable. With a tight tolerance on the 50 Ohm Z. I haven't had the time to take a look to confirm this yet.

The two cables I have are no stiffer than any other 50 ohm coax I have, and their appearance is no different in any respect, which is why I never noticed the Tek part number on them before this. The BNC connectors are standard ones although each cable uses a different BNC, probably because they were manufactured years apart judging from how Tek marked them with different numbering "012-057" and 012-0057, and different kinds of labels.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

Dennis hello, I agree with Eric, believe they were for SG503, spec 1% Zo and low VSWR to perhaps 500 MHz stiffer than normal cables due to type of coax insulation and shielding.

I Should return to my lab next week, could you send a photo of the ends?

Bonsoir

jon

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Hi Clark,
I concur, and as I have told you on many occasions, via email and in person, you are very lucky to know me :)
Dennis