Wanted: Series 2 or 3 Time Base Module

maxfrister@...

I’m trying to get a Tek 564 scope working in order to give it away to a 20 year old kid.

I’ve had it for years but never bothered to fix it since it arrived with 2 vertical modules and no timebase. It wasn’t until I pulled it down to work on it that I realized it was set up for XY mode.

I have it limping along (I haven’t so far been able to get the storage function to work) but in order to make it more useful I’d like to add a timebase to it. Let me know if you have one you are willing to sell or trade for.

Jim Adney

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 10:16 AM, <maxfrister@gmail.com> wrote:

I have it limping along (I haven’t so far been able to get the storage
function to work) but in order to make it more useful I’d like to add a
timebase to it. Let me know if you have one you are willing to sell or trade
for.
I thought I had a 2B67 that I'd be willing to give you, but it appears that I sold it a couple decades ago. I might be able to find something else on campus, but I don't get down there very often. I'll look next time. There are a couple 3Bs on ebay right now, but they're asking over $50 for them. One is advertized as a 3B3 but the photo is a 3B1. Either would be good, but the seller hasn't responded to my email or corrected his auction.

I had a 564 long ago, now sold, that had problems that I had a hard time tracking down. It turned out that one of the vacuum tubes was bad. I THOUGHT I had checked ALL of them, but there's one mounted sideways, hidden under the CRT. That was what brought mine back to life.

maxfrister@...

Thanks for looking.

I'll go the ebay route as a last resort. My last several experiences with ebay have not been positive. Misleading descriptions and bad packing. As far as I can tell, the ebay "came from a working environment" is much like the realtors "cozy" or the advertisers "up to 100% off".

I've made some progress on the 564. I brought it up slowly and on a dim bulb. I've had good luck with the caps in old Tek scopes in the past and this one seems to be working. In contrast I'm working on a similar vintage Hickok scope where every single cap has failed.

I eventually got a fuzzy dot. A bit more work and a fuzzy straight line followed by a sharp straight line. CRT seems sharp and bright!

The two 3A3 modules are dual differential amps --- 2 different vintages and 2 different technologies. I have one working completely and one working on 1 channel. The main thing wrong was severe miss-calibration.

The main thing not working right now is the storage part of the crt. I'll check the high voltage supplies and then try to calibrate it and see if that helps.

The vintageTEK Museum has a number 2- and 3-series plug-ins. I will be at the Museum today and I'll check.

--
Bob Haas