Wanted: 549 Storage CRT / CRT Restoration Question

RellikJM

I've got a 549 that the CRT is double peaking and I'm having trouble setting the backplate level to a level that will write successfully and not have the background filled in. I checked all LV voltages and ripple, and everything is in spec. Strangely it still has the original HV transformer. I made sure the HV didn't drop after an hour of run-time, so I don't think it's got a HV transformer problem.

So now I'm wondering if anybody has a 549 CRT that is good that I could purchase? I'm afraid I'm going to come up empty so I'm wondering if the procedure on KE5FX.com (http://www.ke5fx.com/crt.html) is worth trying or will I condemn the CRT totally as it works sort of okay in non-storage, but I'd like it to work in storage mode. Any thoughts on trying to restore the CRT?

Thanks,

Jay

kim.herron@sbcglobal.net

Hi Jay!

I THINK I still have one. It'll be tomorrow before I can
look to be sure, but I believe that I have what you want.
I have what's left of a 549 here.

On 24 Jan 2022 at 18:26, RellikJM via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Kim Herron W8ZV
kim.herron@sbcglobal.net
1-616-677-3706

--
Kim Herron
W8ZV

RellikJM

Kim,

That’s stellar! I was sure that it was a lost cause. Please take your time in checking.

On the rejuvenation side of things I’m wondering if using a curve tracer might be the way to apply pulses to the cathode while monitoring current allowing for a higher peak current to rejuvenate the cathode while reducing the chance of stripping the cathode completely as the collector supply is pulsating dc vs a current limited variable dc supply talked about on the KE5FX page.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 07:19 PM, kim.herron@sbcglobal.net wrote:

[...]

Me again Jay,

I do have that CRT. Please send me a direct e-mail and
tell me where you are located. Shipping is going to be the
expense.

Back to you Jay!